WestJet as a PM

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
WestJet as a PM

Hi all - I searched the threads but couldn't find anything specifically addressing the following questions when flying on WestJet as a DL PM.

- Do we get upgrades to their version of comfort plus shortly after booking?
- Do we get the same luggage allowance?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't think the enhanced benefits are in place yet, but I'm not sure. They only announced the JV in December 2017, and I don't think it has been fully approved yet.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think the enhanced benefits are in place yet, but I'm not sure. They only announced the JV in December 2017, and I don't think it has been fully approved yet.
Ok thanks!

What are the current benefits? (if any)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Ok thanks!

What are the current benefits? (if any)
There are effectively none if you originate on WestJet other than earning a nominal amount of miles/mqms.

If you originate on DL and connect to WestJet, your DL free checked baggage benefits will apply for the whole itinerary including the connecting WS flight.

YMMV but several folks have posted success at having bag fees waived when originating on WestJet when showing Gold, Plat or Diamond credentials to the agent, but this is very much unofficial and not a posted benefit.

I would not expect any upgrades even in the future when the DL/WS partnership is enhanced to move up to WestJet Plus. Even WestJet's upper tier members don't get this perk. WestJet Golds do get the ability to "purchase at 48 hours out" reduced rate upgrades to Plus ahead of 24 hour window when it opens to everyone.

WestJet Golds only get 4 flights a year that they even let them preassign standard seats - after that they don't even get standard free seat assignments.

WestJet's FF program - much like their Plus product - is half assed and poorly implemented.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamuelS
There are effectively none if you originate on WestJet other than earning a nominal amount of miles/mqms.

If you originate on DL and connect to WestJet, your DL free checked baggage benefits will apply for the whole itinerary including the connecting WS flight.

YMMV but several folks have posted success at having bag fees waived when originating on WestJet when showing Gold, Plat or Diamond credentials to the agent, but this is very much unofficial and not a posted benefit.

I would not expect any upgrades even in the future when the DL/WS partnership is enhanced to move up to WestJet Plus. Even WestJet's upper tier members don't get this perk. WestJet Golds do get the ability to "purchase at 48 hours out" reduced rate upgrades to Plus ahead of 24 hour window when it opens to everyone.

WestJet Golds only get 4 flights a year that they even let them preassign standard seats - after that they don't even get standard free seat assignments.

WestJet's FF program - much like their Plus product - is half assed and poorly implemented.
Wow thats crazy, thanks for the info.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I'm flying on them in May from YYZ>LAX, and can't even get a seat assignment, as the DL record locator isn't recognized by the WS web site. But I'm booked in V class, so I should receive 100% MQMs at least! Anyone know how I can reserve my seat, or will it be assigned at the gate?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by audidudi
I'm flying on them in May from YYZ>LAX, and can't even get a seat assignment, as the DL record locator isn't recognized by the WS web site. But I'm booked in V class, so I should receive 100% MQMs at least! Anyone know how I can reserve my seat, or will it be assigned at the gate?
Why would you expect the WS website to recognize a DL locator? Either obtain the WS locator from DL or call WS.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:02 am

With any partner airline booked through DL, you can call (or message on Twitter) and ask Delta to give you the confirmation number for the partner airline. Delta has it, but they (annoyingly) don't sent it to you automatically. Once you have that confirmation number, you should be able to open your reservation on that website.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
We're planning a family trip to YQB for July, so I'd be interested in hearing whether you can select your seats ahead of time.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Why would you expect the WS website to recognize a DL locator? Either obtain the WS locator from DL or call WS.
Because I read on the WS forum that a WS booked code-share, and thus using their locator, and operated by DL metal, can be used on DL.com to access the seat map! So i thought it might work the opposite way I'm booked!

Last edited by audidudi; Feb 16, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Op-ups to Plus class do happen and it can be to your advantage to not pursue a seat assignment in advance. It's happened to me, but also to family members with no FF status.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Op-ups to Plus class do happen and it can be to your advantage to not pursue a seat assignment in advance. It's happened to me, but also to family members with no FF status.
So are you saying that an Op-Up to Plus would ONLY happen if I don't have a pre-assigned seat, or is MORE LIKELY to happen if I don't have a pre-assigned seat? I would rather get my window seat now than risk getting a middle seat on the day of departure!
And I just got my WS record locator from the @Delta team via Twitter!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 am

So are you saying that an Op-Up to Plus would ONLY happen if I don't have a pre-assigned seat, or is MORE LIKELY to happen if I don't have a pre-assigned seat? I would rather get my window seat now than risk getting a middle seat on the day of departure!

This would be a big gamble and one I would not personally risk. I think the better move would be to get your preferred seat now, and then show up early and speak to the gate agent. Explain you are a Delta medallion and ask if they might be moving anyone into Plus for free and could you possibly get an upgrade?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
We're planning a family trip to YQB for July, so I'd be interested in hearing whether you can select your seats ahead of time.
On a B738, you can only choose a seat in rows 12, 13 (which is the first of two Emergency Exit rows) or 29, all of which are called "Less Desirable", directly with an agent at WS at booking. All other rows/seats would be available at T-24!

Last edited by audidudi; Feb 16, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
On a B738, you can only choose a seat in rows 12, 13 (which is the first of two Emergency Exit rows) or 29, all of which are called "Less Desirable", directly with an agent at WS at booking. All other rows/seats would be available at T-24!
So as a family with small kids (i.e. no exit row), all we can do is wait for T-24, then scramble to get seats together?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.