Wiki Posts
Search

VPS - ATL (1hr layover) - LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
VPS - ATL (1hr layover) - LHR

Hi all, despite being of a healthy age and flying frequently the 1 hour layover and change of planes I've got coming up in Atlanta might be the shortest I've ever had!

Depart Destin 4.02pm, arrive in Atlanta 6.18pm and depart for London at 7.20pm.

Just checking to see given everyone's experiences if an hour's enough time to make the connection. Haven't travelled that route before or been on a Delta plane in some time and never even been to ATL so just being cautious!

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:56 am

You've got plenty of time ...Just be prepared to get on your horse when you get off the plane
yokozuma likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Wiki in this thread shows the minimum connect time from domestic to international on Delta as 40 minutes at Atlanta. I have been through ATL a lot in the last 25 years (including international) and I would NEVER book a 40 minute connection. Your 62 minute connection, however, wouldn't bother me too much. Check your travel date for later Delta flights in case you're delayed.

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread
yokozuma likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Wow, bold people here!

In ATL you will have to deplane, go through passport control, pick up your checked bags, go through customs, recheck your bags (quick), go through security to enter the terminal. The last part can be very slow if you arrive at a busy time. 6pm in winter is not a busy time (most of the winter destination flights arrive later) but in the summer it is. Then onto the train to the terminal for your next flight (could be same terminal). If I were you I'd take the later LHR flight. The other advantage to that later flight is that it's generally less busy at LHR border control than the earlier one.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
In ATL you will have to deplane, go through passport control, pick up your checked bags, go through customs, recheck your bags (quick), go through security to enter the terminal.
The OP is going to LHR. No customs, handling of checked bags or security will be required at ATL.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
The OP is going to LHR. No customs, handling of checked bags or security will be required at ATL.
Even if connecting from another international flight? I haven't seen any transit arrows at ATL but maybe I just didn't notice.

Ah wait, VPS isn't international, it's just down the road. Sorry, wasn't familiar with the acronym and thought it was coming from abroad. In that case, sure, 1 hour is PLENTY!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You are using the terms "layover" and "connection" interchangeably. Are you on one e-ticket or two? If the former, you are within MCT. If the latter, MCT is irrelevant as it is your risk if you no show for your onward flight.

Whether within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is all about your risk tolerance and the consequences of if you do not make your LHR flight.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I wouldn't worry about it, but keep an eye on the weather. Spring/summer afternoon thunderstorms can quickly mess up VPS and/or ATL.

Like others have said, that's not the most comfortable connection, but there's no better airport in the US (world?) for efficiently getting people from Point A to Point B.

When you're wheels down in ATL, pull up Delta's app or website to check the arrival gate for your incoming flight and the departure gate for your LHR flight. That way you won't waste time hunting for a departures screen once in the terminal.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I try to avoid under an hour connections just in case, and under 2 for international. One thing to think about when flying afternoon out of VPS is that there is a greater chance of delay (usually an ATC hold; used to be for regional jets/mx, but now it's mostly all mainline 717s/MD-88s). Any delay I'd be slightly worried and at least be ready to run. There's never any traffic getting out of here and they certainly pad the time (It's typically only 40-46 minutes wheels up to wheels down, not the 1:10/1:20 they often schedule it for). But we do land on the far runway a lot in ATL and often come in to Concourse B, C, or D. Short train ride to F for the LHR trip and you'll be fine (they may already be boarding though).
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Hi all, despite being of a healthy age and flying frequently the 1 hour layover and change of planes I've got coming up in Atlanta might be the shortest I've ever had!

Depart Destin 4.02pm, arrive in Atlanta 6.18pm and depart for London at 7.20pm.

Just checking to see given everyone's experiences if an hour's enough time to make the connection. Haven't travelled that route before or been on a Delta plane in some time and never even been to ATL so just being cautious!

Thanks
Also, feel free to say hi when you're in Destin!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Even if connecting from another international flight?
Northern Florida can feel like a third-world country at times, but it's part of the USA.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

1 hour is plenty and there should be another LHR flight after your 7:20PM departure if something does go off the rails.

ATL is easy to get around in, I personally try to avoid connections longer than an hour there.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Northern Florida can feel like a third-world country at times, but it's part of the USA.
Ya, really feels like a 3rd world country here in northern Florida...
BenA, Traveller and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Ya, really feels like a 3rd world country here in northern Florida...
if you turn 180 degrees, though...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
if you turn 180 degrees, though...
I'd be looking at a county whose average household income is more than the national average. It may seem like a different country, but certainly not a 3rd world country. Your comments are funny coming from someone based in the bankruptcy capital of America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.