Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Here’s A New One “the bathrooms do not work until 16,000 feet”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

GA today kept saying the lavatories do not work until you are in the air so go no. I laughed at it and figured it’s a way for people to not swim upstream during boarding.

After boarding i made made a joke to the FA’s about it and they looked at me dead serious (one did the other looked perplexed) saying it came straight from the captain not working until 16,000 feet.

I guess this is he is he one of a kind A319 with non functioning bathrooms?
Edit to my original story when I asked why I was told by the crew “this is on all planes” so I attempted to inquire and was dismissed

Last edited by vincentharris; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Amazing. And totally false of course. I regularly try to use the lav before takeoff if I'm in F and not going to get in the way of pax boarding, because I know it could be a while before I can use again.
GoAmtrak, dave456 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Another example of go-go dysfunctionality on the 319's.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And totally false of course.
Not merely false - totally patronizing, too. We are not preschool kids and don't need to be lied to.

If you don't want people to use bathrooms, just announce that the bathrooms are unavailable below 16,000 feet. Set the lock to the occupied position.

Don't say they "don't work" as that's an insult.

EDIT: it turns out I'm wrong
GoAmtrak likes this.

Last edited by davie355; Feb 14, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Not merely false - totally patronizing, too. We are not preschool kids and don't need to be lied to.

If you don't want people to use bathrooms, just announce that the bathrooms are unavailable below 16,000 feet. Set the lock to the occupied position.

Don't say they "don't work" as that's an insult.
THANK YOU!!!! We are adults treat us with even the smallest amount of dignity.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
That's almost as 'good' as the one "our instruments show that seven phones are not in airplane mode"
hi55us, Gino Troian, nlkm9 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
That's almost as 'good' as the one "our instruments show that seven phones are not in airplane mode"
honestly this is worse since in theory such an instrument MAY exist in the world but I am certain a first time flyer would even know the bathroom thing is a lie
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Another example of go-go dysfunctionality on the 319's.
IP I see what you did there.
tonypct likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I can think of 2 flights I was on where the lavs didn't flush on the ground, but they did in the air . . . .

1) TATL B763. Three toilets wouldn't flush at the gate. They called in a mechanic while we all sat at the gate. He checked EVERYTHING he could, and, I'll never forget his words . . . .

Those toilets WILL flush once you're in the air - - - I'll stake my reputation on it! <Sure enough, they did! >

2) I used a lav at the gate once, and, the toilet didn't flush. A319/320, I think. I commented about it to a FA and was told it would work in the air - - and it did!

Something about pressure. I don't remember, exactly.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just as an FYI I checked the IFE and I flushed at 13,500-14,500 feet. That was a close one
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:32 pm

Sounds like the vacuum pump which provides suction for the lavatories on the ground was unserviceable. The 16,000ft figure is from the Airbus MEL (minimum equipment list) instructions for dispatching with the pump unserviceable, as an estimate of when the differential between the cabin and outside air pressure is sufficient to provide suction to the system again.

Had this a fair few times as a pilot on A320s, we normally kept the seatbelt signs on and lavatory doors locked until they were usable again.
manacit, tod701, hi55us and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vincentharris
No, Delta considers you to be self-loading cargo.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I've only used the bathroom on the ground on 737's and an MD80. Honestly don't remember if they flushed or not, I think I remember hearing the suction but nothing else.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:48 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
After doing a quick search, I found this thread that I posted in May 2010:

Did'ja know that A320 toilets don’t flush til you hit 16,000 feet???
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris

Well...then why do many passengers get up while the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on? Some people need to be treated like kids because they can't obey a clearly LIT sign!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.