Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ROC>SFO.... no flights after 1.40pm... error or normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

I am trying to fly back from ROC>SFO on Sunday Sept 2nd and the last flight leaves at 1.40pm! How come there are no later flights leaving on a Sunday to get back to SFO than departing at that time? Seems strange to me that there are no connections available later that day! Thoughts?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
The usual later flights to ATL and DTW are not scheduled so it isn't just a routing rules issue. I would assume it's not an error as it's right around the time summer/winter schedules tend to change so it could just be a result of that.

You're a 1K.. take United's 5:30 PM flight instead.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Labor day weekend. Very little business travel demand. No 5:30PM flight to DTW. No 5:59PM flight to ATL. Completely normal for DL to reduce normal scheduled flights around holiday periods that have less demand.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You might want to check into BUF as its a pretty short driver over depending on where you are starting your day off in the ROC.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
You might want to check into BUF as its a pretty short driver over depending on where you are starting your day off in the ROC.
Yes thanks! Having spoken to the DM line, they said I can be booked from SFO>JFK>ROC and then BUF>DTW>SFO on the return, and they book it as an "Open-Jaw" ticket apparently. I've never had to do it this way before, so it's nice to learn something new!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Syracuse might have more options than Buffalo
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by audidudi
Yes thanks! Having spoken to the DM line, they said I can be booked from SFO>JFK>ROC and then BUF>DTW>SFO on the return, and they book it as an "Open-Jaw" ticket apparently. I've never had to do it this way before, so it's nice to learn something new!
Since it's a domestic flight I would probably just book it as 2 one ways.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us

What is the benefit of this over an open jaw? It should price out the same, and it seems like having two different PNR's would be potentially more annoying.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What is the benefit of this over an open jaw? It should price out the same, and it seems like having two different PNR's would be potentially more annoying.
Depends due to the change fee. If each way is less than $200 then you'd be better off with them separate if you have to change one direction. Of course if you have to change both directions, then you'd worse off. If each leg is < $100 then it's a no brainer to book them separately.

Also, OP, the day before Labor Day is probably like Thanksgiving Day. Try booking a flight anywhere after noon, the options are slim to non-existent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
Not all domestic routes price a roundtrip as two one-ways. While SFO-BUF/ROC does, many of the flights to/from the hubs to smaller stations (typically with no non-stop LCC competition) still have cheaper roundtrip fares with a Saturday night stay requirement.

For example, the cheapest one-way fare for MSP-BUF/ROC is a $290.30 U fare (21-day advance purchase required), while you can purchase a roundtrip V fares from $326.60 (Saturday night stay, Tue/Wed/Sat travel, and 30-day advance purchase required).

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 15, 2018 at 8:44 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
Depends due to the change fee. If each way is less than $200 then you'd be better off with them separate if you have to change one direction. Of course if you have to change both directions, then you'd worse off. If each leg is < $100 then it's a no brainer to book them separately.

Also, OP, the day before Labor Day is probably like Thanksgiving Day. Try booking a flight anywhere after noon, the options are slim to non-existent.
Another consideration is schedule changes: with two OWs and a significant schedule change in one direction only, it's more difficult--but not impossible if you HUCA--to totally cancel for free than if you have a RT.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! I ended up booking SFO>DTW>SYR>ATL>SFO for $374. I'm departing SYR on Sept 2nd at the much more reasonable time of 5.59pm, instead of 1.40pm out of ROC!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Thanks everyone for your replies! I ended up booking SFO>DTW>SYR>ATL>SFO for $374. I'm departing SYR on Sept 2nd at the much more reasonable time of 5.59pm, instead of 1.40pm out of ROC!
Probably a better choice than routing through JFK onward to ROC. The regional flights from JFK & LGA to upstate NY are some of the first to get cancelled/significantly delayed in the case of weather or ATC delays. Also for future reference, based on flying through this area the fares tend to be lowest going into BUF as there is more low cost competition. I've had it to the point where a RT to BUF & 2 day car rental w/ gas was cheaper than the RT to ROC.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Probably a better choice than routing through JFK onward to ROC. The regional flights from JFK & LGA to upstate NY are some of the first to get cancelled/significantly delayed in the case of weather or ATC delays. Also for future reference, based on flying through this area the fares tend to be lowest going into BUF as there is more low cost competition. I've had it to the point where a RT to BUF & 2 day car rental w/ gas was cheaper than the RT to ROC.
BUF is just too far out of my way, as I'll be going to Watkins Glen! And booking SYR vs BUF was about $50 cheaper anyway!

Last edited by audidudi; Feb 15, 2018 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You can do it online too using the multi-city function. Your next departure city doesn’t have to be the same as the previous arrival city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.