Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 55 332 evacuation at LOS after emergency landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

Saw this on the news. 11alive.com | 5 injured after Delta flight from Nigeria to Atlanta forced to turn back due to engine issues
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
TIL Delta flies ATL->LOS.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
"Flight tracking website FlightAware indicates the flight had only been in the air for a little less than an hour and a half, and had only traveled 29 of its roughly 5,800-mile journey, before one of the A330-200's two engines reported issues."

Huh?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"Flight tracking website FlightAware indicates the flight had only been in the air for a little less than an hour and a half, and had only traveled 29 of its roughly 5,800-mile journey, before one of the A330-200's two engines reported issues."

Huh?
Well flight aware DOES say:
Distance
Actual: 29 mi (Planned: 5,793 mi)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Well flight aware DOES say:
Distance
Actual: 29 mi (Planned: 5,793 mi)
Must have been one hell of a head wind.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Must have been one hell of a head wind.
Don't be silly. They had engine problems. The problem was that that plane was only going 20 miles per hour!
Vegas Vegan and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
The flight was only a few minutes long. If you replay the Flightaware track, the plane clearly does a quick return to the airport, but on final approach, Flightaware starts 'estimating' that the plane has started heading towards ATL and runs for about an hour on the assumed (but not real) track.
The interesting (and by that I guess I mean upsetting) thing is that the situation was urgent enough that the flight returned and landed asap, meaning a likely overweight landing. No time to dump or burn fuel. That means that the pilots assessed the situation as critical, and there might be structural problems with this a/c now.
Very thankful that they got down safely and that the injuries appear minor and evacuation-related.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW
The flight was only a few minutes long. If you replay the Flightaware track, the plane clearly does a quick return to the airport, but on final approach, Flightaware starts 'estimating' that the plane has started heading towards ATL and runs for about an hour on the assumed (but not real) track.
The interesting (and by that I guess I mean upsetting) thing is that the situation was urgent enough that the flight returned and landed asap, meaning a likely overweight landing. No time to dump or burn fuel. That means that the pilots assessed the situation as critical, and there might be structural problems with this a/c now.
Very thankful that they got down safely and that the injuries appear minor and evacuation-related.
Delta’s A330’s do not have fuel dump capability. The aircraft is certified for emergency landings at max takeoff weight. The airframe is back in service today.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeff767

Delta’s A330’s do not have fuel dump capability. The aircraft is certified for emergency landings at max takeoff weight. The airframe is back in service today.
That airframe is most definitely not back in service today. It'll be early next week before it leaves.
RaflW and CPMaverick like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:42 pm

I'm guessing that if they used the slides, there must have been a fire involved.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many errors can you find?

Delta airline apologises to AIB for reporting emergency - Local - Pulse
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every over-ocean aircraft should have four engines. <sigh>

NOLAnwGOLD likes this.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Feb 16, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
ETOPS

Engines
Turn
Or
Passengers
Swim

Exactly why i prefer 4 engines than 2.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Well, I am certain Skywest doesn't fly LOS-ATL...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:53 pm

Seriously guys, doesn't matter how many engines this plane had. If this had been a 747, and one of its engines failed at or immediately after takeoff (as was the case here), the plane would have turned around and landed, and the flight would have been cancelled. Exactly the same result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.