FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Skymiles upgrade - Comfort vs First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1893602-delta-skymiles-upgrade-comfort-vs-first-class.html)

Global0330 Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Delta Skymiles upgrade - Comfort vs First Class

Hi guys
I recently received Silver Medallion status on Delta for the first time. I know pretty much the only perk of this lowest level is the (slight) chance of an upgrade. I was curious- I have the option to choose both an upgrade to Delta comfort as well as a first class upgrade. Obviously I'd prefer the first class upgrade but I know my chances are probably better for a comfort seat given my level of status. Should I put my name on both upgrade lists, or just the comfort given my chances at first are so slim? Just want to maximize my upgrade chance to at least one of them, and wasn't sure how the logic worked if you select both lists.

KDCAflyer Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Global0330 (Post 29409197)
Hi guys
I recently received Silver Medallion status on Delta for the first time. I know pretty much the only perk of this lowest level is the (slight) chance of an upgrade. I was curious- I have the option to choose both an upgrade to Delta comfort as well as a first class upgrade. Obviously I'd prefer the first class upgrade but I know my chances are probably better for a comfort seat given my level of status. Should I put my name on both upgrade lists, or just the comfort given my chances at first are so slim? Just want to maximize my upgrade chance to at least one of them, and wasn't sure how the logic worked if you select both lists.

There's no disadvantage to being on both lists. Go ahead and request an upgrade for both.

apodo77 Feb 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Welcome to FT.
Note that if you check the C+ upgrade box you run the risk of getting a middle seat. I never check it for this reason and only have FC checked. Perfectly happy in an exit row aisle.

Checking both is fine.

ijgordon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I’m still trying to figure out the nuances here.

So if you don’t select the C+ upgrade, what are your options to get C+ seats after the window has passed (eg, 72h for Gold)?
Can you see if there is upgrade availability, and then do you need to request the upgrade online or can an agent instantly confirm it (assuming there are desirable seats)?

thx.

MCO Flyer Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 29409451)
I’m still trying to figure out the nuances here.

So if you don’t select the C+ upgrade, what are your options to get C+ seats after the window has passed (eg, 72h for Gold)?
Can you see if there is upgrade availability, and then do you need to request the upgrade online or can an agent instantly confirm it (assuming there are desirable seats)?

thx.

If you leave the box unchecked past T-72 and you see empty non middle seats avalible than you can check the UG box and if space is available (you can check by doing a dummy booking and see if it says UG Avalible under UG Eligibility) than you will clear into C+ and choose any seat that is open on the seat map.

ncwillett Feb 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Global0330 (Post 29409197)
Hi guys
I recently received Silver Medallion status on Delta for the first time. I know pretty much the only perk of this lowest level is the (slight) chance of an upgrade.

Not so fast. You also get a free checked bag, which can be quite a savings if you typically check a bag, and you to choose preferred seats, including exit rows. Those two benefits alone are nothing to sneeze at.

ChinaShrek Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29409623)

If you leave the box unchecked past T-72 and you see empty non middle seats avalible than you can check the UG box and if space is available (you can check by doing a dummy booking and see if it says UG Avalible under UG Eligibility) than you will clear into C+ and choose any seat that is open on the seat map.

Will this work if I am already checked in for my flight?

ijgordon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29409623)

Great thanks. Is the clearing instantaneous?
Abd I assume you can’t check the upgrade availability if the flight happens to be sold out in Y? Maybe you can call reservations then?

MCO Flyer Feb 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 29409933)
Will this work if I am already checked in for my flight?

No, but you can call DL and ask them to uncheck you in.

orca15 Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29410589)
No, but you can call DL and ask them to uncheck you in.

I always struggle with this wording, but calling the rep and asking them to "check me out" seems even worse ;)

MikeyZBT Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Aren't you able to get moved back to coach if they upgrade you into a "middle" C+ seat if that's not what you wanted? I thought I read something about that...

And, if so, are we able to just reselect a coach seat? Do we HAVE to call or can we do it on our own?

gooselee Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 29409741)
Not so fast. You also get a free checked bag, which can be quite a savings if you typically check a bag, and you to choose preferred seats, including exit rows. Those two benefits alone are nothing to sneeze at.

+1000

Mrs. Lee laments losing FO status for these exact reasons. Also during IRROPs you get treated like topsoil instead of actual dirt (in all seriousness, several friends are FO and report it can make a difference during IRROPS).

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT (Post 29412509)
Aren't you able to get moved back to coach if they upgrade you into a "middle" C+ seat if that's not what you wanted? I thought I read something about that...

And, if so, are we able to just reselect a coach seat? Do we HAVE to call or can we do it on our own?

Yes, you can move back via the seatmap, assuming your original seat is still available and the UG process didn't somehow result in all the seats outside your cabin being grayed out (still haven't figured out the rhyme/reason to that).

However, I've also noticed that I don't need to do the "request upgrade" checkbox anymore. If I'm in a seatmap and a desirable C+ seat is available, I can just click on it, then click save, and my itinerary will refresh that leg into SU - very similar to how things used to work in the EC days. This may be a different experience for an FO who cannot move up until T-24, though - I am PM so I can select anytime after booking.

ethernal Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Once you're within the check-in window, you can't move out of your cabin. Sometimes it seems to lock even before check-in. To be frank, it seems completely arbitrary as to when they black out cabins. I don't know how Delta has so much money that they can waste it on people calling in for crap like this.

ChinaShrek Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29412711)
Once you're within the check-in window, you can't move out of your cabin. Sometimes it seems to lock even before check-in. To be frank, it seems completely arbitrary as to when they black out cabins. I don't know how Delta has so much money that they can waste it on people calling in for crap like this.

That's just it. Most Silvers don't call. I am not going to waste time calling and asking if there are free Comfort+ aisle seats, so they can uncheck me in for the flight. Not worth the effort. Give me First Class or i will keep my original exit row seat.

jlionw Apr 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I just got status matched to Delta, and the requesting upgrade is new to me.

I see that I can request an upgrade for both C+ and F. By default none of them are selected. Am I misunderstanding, but why wouldn't I select both of them EVERY time? Even if the odds are slim, it's less than 1 minute of my time.