Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Skymiles upgrade - Comfort vs First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skymiles upgrade - Comfort vs First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jlionw
I see that I can request an upgrade for both C+ and F. By default none of them are selected. Am I misunderstanding, but why wouldn't I select both of them EVERY time? Even if the odds are slim, it's less than 1 minute of my time.
1. You are traveling with a companion that is NOT on the same PNR (therefore ineligible for u/g). This can happen pretty often with co-workers traveling together where one has status and the other does not. Would you take an u/g to F and leave your boss in Y?

2. Many people (myself included) prefer specific Y seats if they are available over C+ for various reasons (legroom, proximity/non-proximity to lavatories, etc.) We request an u/g to F but specifically decline requesting a seat in C+.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by ecaarch
1. You are traveling with a companion that is NOT on the same PNR (therefore ineligible for u/g). This can happen pretty often with co-workers traveling together where one has status and the other does not. Would you take an u/g to F and leave your boss in Y?

2. Many people (myself included) prefer specific Y seats if they are available over C+ for various reasons (legroom, proximity/non-proximity to lavatories, etc.) We request an u/g to F but specifically decline requesting a seat in C+.

Thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Just to add: An upgrade to C+ can land you automatically in any available C+ seat, including a middle seat. Many would prefer an aisle seat in main cabin rather than a C+ upgrade. Delta is rolling out a fix to this where you can request aisle/window only, but it's in testing phase now for just a small group of customers.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM
As a long tern Silver until only the 2018, I simply don't see the point of selecting C+.
I'd rather have a exit row seat that I can select at booking.

Free drink is nice, but I have Amex Platinum, so I don't worry about it.

I understand Delta wanting to sell a middle cabin.
But why any Medallion would think that's an upgrade is beyond me

It basically lets Delta off the hook.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxman22
As a long tern Silver until only the 2018, I simply don't see the point of selecting C+.
I'd rather have a exit row seat that I can select at booking.
The problem with exit rows are that many of them aren't great. Fixed armrests / narrower seats in many. Most windows don't have a real armrest. No recline (e.g., 739 row 19). No easy underseat storage and/or IFE screen far away (739 21A/F).

I understand Delta wanting to sell a middle cabin.
But why any Medallion would think that's an upgrade is beyond me

It basically lets Delta off the hook.
Agreed 100%. Silly how people consider it an upgrade. Even sillier how they charge a fare difference of $140+ one-way on longer domestic flights. But at least they've made it easier for regular passengers, you can just select a seat from the seat map after ticketing in main cabin, and they'll just charge you the difference. But if I book a mileage award, I think I have to either book directly into C+ or I'm stuck in Y.

As a Gold, I do end up living with the drawbacks of some of the exit rows, especially when I'm traveling with a companion. At T-72 I guess I can start looking at the MCE seat map and see if it makes sense to request the "upgrade" at that point. It's a little frustrating because a 50k elite on AA gets to choose Main Cabin Extra at booking for free, but I guess there are always trade-offs.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:45 pm

I thought Delta finally rolled out the "no middle seat" option. I got it on my last flight. This time I didn't. But one article said once you clear for the upgrade you can check the seat they gave you and decline it if they gave you a middle. Is this how it works now?

I suspect one problem is they're always going to try to put to people traveling together next to each other. meaning one will get an middle. But we couldn't care less about sitting together.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:31 am

Companion upgrade

Hi, sorry if this question is not appropriate in this thread but could not find any better from my quick search...

We are a family of 4 which will fly JFK-SXM-JFK in July, we are booked in T and V.

I am a Star Alliance Gold, and just got matched/challenged to Delta Gold, mainly to benefit from the baggage waiver.

I also noticed the complimentary upgrade perks and have some questions:

* What are the chances of upgrade to FC for a Gold member, i believe this route we are flying might not have many business/frequent travellers. As of now 1/20 FC is booked.

* If a upgrade goes through would it just be myself getting upgraded, 1 companion or the whole family on the same booking? (Just me would not be popular/ not an option )

*my spouse is star alliance silver, might try to match her to delta silver, is it likely for a silver to get an FC upgrade?

Last edited by Lars Johansen; May 4, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old May 4, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by Lars Johansen
Hi, sorry if this question is not appropriate in this thread but could not find any better from my quick search...

We are a family of 4 which will fly JFK-SXM-JFK in July, we are booked in T and V.

I am a Star Alliance Gold, and just got matched/challenged to Delta Gold, mainly to benefit from the baggage waiver.

I also noticed the complimentary upgrade perks and have some questions:

* What are the chances of upgrade to FC for a Gold member, i believe this route we are flying might not have many business/frequent travellers. As of now 1/20 FC is booked.

* If a upgrade goes through would it just be myself getting upgraded, 1 companion or the whole family on the same booking? (Just me would not be popular/ not an option )

*my spouse is star alliance silver, might try to match her to delta silver, is it likely for a silver to get an FC upgrade?
You would need to book two reservations for this. Only two people can get upgraded together using your status so long as your spouse signs up for a skymiles account and has it attached to her profile/reservation with you.

If you book all four people together then the upgradability goes away.
Lars Johansen likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:14 am

Thanks for the tip. We are currently all on the same booking.

If my spouse gets matched to Silver:

Would it be and idea to call Delta and ask them to split the original PNR into 2 PNRs ?
Me and one child
My Spouse and one child?

Any drawbacks with doing this/Any perks they will not get not being on the same booking as a Gold?
We will checkin max 4 bags in total
Old May 4, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Thanks for the tip. We are currently all on the same booking.

If my spouse gets matched to Silver:

Would it be and idea to call Delta and ask them to split the original PNR into 2 PNRs ?
Me and one child
My Spouse and one child?

Any drawbacks with doing this/Any perks they will not get not being on the same booking as a Gold?
I personally don't know if Delta can split PNRs to new ones. I've never tried this but my hunch is no. It doesn't hurt to ask though!

I have to be honest though...upgrades as a Silver or Gold to F are pretty tough to come by. Comfort+ has a chance, but Delta does a really good job of upselling F now and making it hard to get with lower status.

You might be right that SXM is leisure, but I think most people going there are on vacation and willing to spend a little extra. Have you watched what not too distant seat maps look like?
Old May 4, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Cameron B

I personally don't know if Delta can split PNRs to new ones. I've never tried this but my hunch is no. It doesn't hurt to ask though!

I have to be honest though...upgrades as a Silver or Gold to F are pretty tough to come by. Comfort+ has a chance, but Delta does a really good job of upselling F now and making it hard to get with lower status.

You might be right that SXM is leisure, but I think most people going there are on vacation and willing to spend a little extra. Have you watched what not too distant seat maps look like?
Seems your right, I searched the outbund flight on Experflyer for the same day of the week we are heading out, for all of May, all FC seats seems to be booked already.

Guess I will check EF regulary and if there are "a lot" of seats empty a week before departure I will call Delta and ask about splitting.

If not I am happy with saving around $200 in baggage fees.

Thanks for your help
Old May 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Seems your right, I searched the outbund flight on Experflyer for the same day of the week we are heading out, for all of May, all FC seats seems to be booked already.

Guess I will check EF regulary and if there are "a lot" of seats empty a week before departure I will call Delta and ask about splitting.

If not I am happy with saving around $200 in baggage fees.

Thanks for your help
Yes, Delta can split into 2 x 2. And that's what you need to do.

There can be a chance on leisure routes. More difficult if you are flying certain days of the week which are really busy. But there is a chance.

The two you split out will lose SkyPriority access inherited from you for check in and security, but 1 bag each (with the other person in the same PNR with a silver) will be fine and comp.

I have flown to AUA, CUN, CZM etc - some days 90% of F are available for upgrades, other days it's fully sold out.
Lars Johansen and gooselee like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes, Delta can split into 2 x 2. And that's what you need to do.

There can be a chance on leisure routes. More difficult if you are flying certain days of the week which are really busy. But there is a chance.

The two you split out will lose SkyPriority access inherited from you for check in and security, but 1 bag each (with the other person in the same PNR with a silver) will be fine and comp.

I have flown to AUA, CUN, CZM etc - some days 90% of F are available for upgrades, other days it's fully sold out.
Thanks for your feedback, Skypriority would be nice at JFK, but at SXM im not sure it will be available at all?

I think I will stick to my plan.. see how many seats are taken inbound/outbound a week or so in advance, and do the split, if seems like there is a chance..
Old May 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for your feedback, Skypriority would be nice at JFK, but at SXM im not sure it will be available at all?

I think I will stick to my plan.. see how many seats are taken inbound/outbound a week or so in advance, and do the split, if seems like there is a chance..

While splitting is possible, the chances of all four of you being upgraded is very low, even to Comfort+. Also, if you split the PNR this can cause trouble in irrops. If your flight is cancelled and DL automatically rebooks pax on different flights, your family could be split up. They would not split up people on the same pnr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.