Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A319 Wi-Fi 2Ku Equipment and FA problems

A319 Wi-Fi 2Ku Equipment and FA problems

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Good to see I'm not the only one having connection issues on this new system (and mine wasn't de-ice related). I wrote in and they threw some miles at me. For most of us, the cabin is an extension of our office so it's maddening when this stuff fails.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
Agree it may not be the FAs fault, but let's be clear: Delta is the accountable party for failures. I don't care who they contract their work to. They're 100% accountable for failures.
Gogo is the accountable party, it's their system. Same way my ISP isn't responsible when Delta's website is down.

I would love if I could delegate blame to subcontractors on the stuff I work on but that's not how the world works.. 😉
I suggest you google "SLA". In my industry (heavy manufacturing) suppliers/sub contractors pay huge fines for delays/quality issues. It's all in what you negotiate in the contract.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Gogo is the accountable party, it's their system. Same way my ISP isn't responsible when Delta's website is down.
You contract directly with your ISP. If an upstream provider has an issue, the accountable party (for you as the consumer) is the ISP - even if it's really an issue with a Level3 pipe that isn't part of your ISP's self-owned network.

Similarly, I contract directly with Delta and they are the accountable party here. Admittedly I technically pay GoGo, but given that my Delta GoGo pass only works on Delta flights I (as a consumer) associate it only with Delta and not a 3rd party provider.

Delta openly advertises that they have WiFi on all of their planes and show it on their website as a feature when booking. Delta is the accountable party, and I will blame them. Now of course Delta will turn around to GoGo and tell them to fix it, but that is not my problem as a consumer. I hold Delta accountable for the failures of the service on their flight. It's identical to how I would blame Delta if a caterer that Delta contracts with failed to deliver food to the plane. Same thing with contract staff at a Skyclub that treats me poorly.. or any other permutation of such a scenario. I don't care whether Delta insources or outsources a function or capability - I will hold Delta accountable for the outcomes of both their staff and anyone that operates on their behalf.

Imagine of Apple sold a bunch of shoddy and broken phones. Do you think they could get away with saying "well, it's not our fault.. Foxconn didn't assemble them to specification. Don't blame us!"? Of course they couldn't.

I suggest you google "SLA". In my industry (heavy manufacturing) suppliers/sub contractors pay huge fines for delays/quality issues. It's all in what you negotiate in the contract.
Everyone knows what an SLA is. There is no need to be condescending.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
I don't believe the cabin staff are involved at all in turning on and off the Wifi and that it's an automatic process. It sounds like the systems are programmed incorrectly to still limit functionality to over 10,000 feet.
I know that on the original gogo there was a switch inside the coat closet to turn off at 10K feet.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:26 pm

Wasn't on a 319 but recently on a 757-200 going to and from LAX-GUA, FA's reported on boarding announcement that Gogo was not working. What was maddening was that just 15 mins before boarding Delta sends out a announcement that "Congratulations your flight has high speed gogo" or whatever. Was on the same plane on return (was a quick MR) and again got Delta message that was on a High speed Gogo flight, but the system wasn't working. Unfortunately it seems Left hand and right hand don't know who or where they are regarding Gogo wifi functionality.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
On my A319 home from Boston, no Gogo at takeoff. When the seatbelt sign went off, I approached the FA and asked if he could power cycle the WiFi. He did and about 10 minutes later it started working. Not sure if it helped or not, but it made me feel better. The Gogo was in and out about three more times between BOS and MSP. The 2KU has been great. Not so much now.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Delta openly advertises that they have WiFi on all of their planes and show it on their website as a feature when booking. Delta is the accountable party, and I will blame them. Now of course Delta will turn around to GoGo and tell them to fix it, but that is not my problem as a consumer. I hold Delta accountable for the failures of the service on their flight. It's identical to how I would blame Delta if a caterer that Delta contracts with failed to deliver food to the plane. Same thing with contract staff at a Skyclub that treats me poorly.. or any other permutation of such a scenario. I don't care whether Delta insources or outsources a function or capability - I will hold Delta accountable for the outcomes of both their staff and anyone that operates on their behalf.

Imagine of Apple sold a bunch of shoddy and broken phones. Do you think they could get away with saying "well, it's not our fault.. Foxconn didn't assemble them to specification. Don't blame us!"? Of course they couldn't.
Agreed on the Skyclub example. That clearly is a DL product. However, the iPhone is not even a remotely close comparison. Apple markets the iPhone as their phone, full stop. "Gogo Inflight Internet Service", is a product of Gogo. DL et al. just allows them to use their airplanes (and makes money doing it). Sure, DL markets Gogo service as an available in-flight service on their flights, just as phone carriers market/promote the iPhone/Galaxy etc. on working their network. It still doesn't mean it's their product.

From the DL website (clearly they defer to Gogo for ToS):
Use of the Gogo® In-Flight Internet service is subject to terms of use available at gogoair.com. Voice service is not permitted nor supported. Click here for Gogo's Terms of Useand Privacy Policy.

Everyone knows what an SLA is. There is no need to be condescending.
No condescension intended, I'm just lazy and didn't feel like explaining SLAs.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I just cancelled my go-go monthly plan and received a refund retro to when my problems began.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've been following up on this issue and thought I'd post a status update.

First the Delta side:
I have learned that the problem is related to the effects of de-icing on the installation. I don't know whether it's just a poor installation job on some aircraft, an engineering problem or a combination. It doesn't affect every aircraft (primarily A319's , but not all of them) so my guess is a combination. I'm basing this on feedback from flight deck crews and a recent email sent to FA's about the problem.

I've had phone conversations with Delta Customer Care:
Delta states that it's a GoGo problem and to contact GoGo.
The problem is so widespread and there are so many complaints that Delta no longer gives compensation (SkyMiles) to those who complain.
Delta claims that this has been escalated to the top management level of both Delta and GoGo and that it is being pursued at that level.
Delta offers no guesstimate about when the problems will be resolved.

I've also spoken with them regarding Customer communications. FA's are not properly trained about the system being gate-to-gate nor do they utilize the updated scripts provided by Delta. This is a general problem that Delta really needs to address with their FA's.

There isn't any official communication with GA's regarding the broken Wi-Fi so they can't communicate it to passengers who are waiting to board. It would be helpful if passengers knew prior to boarding so that they could communicate with people to let the know that they'd be unreachable for the duration of the flight and download additional entertainment if they chose to do so. There's a great deal of interaction between GA's and the flight crew and no reason why the Wi-Fi status couldn't be communicated to the GA's either when the flight deplaned or even earlier if it's a reported problem.

I believe that Delta management is slowly coming to realize that this service is an integral component of travel, especially for business travelers, and that they're going to lose business if this isn't fixed.

Now the GoGo Side.

GoGo Customer Care flatly denies that there is a problem and states that their equipment and service is fully functional on every Delta aircraft it is installed on.
They will, without question, cancel and refund monthly plans and other purchases and will offer a couple of free passes as a goodwill gesture.

I'll be following up with a letter to their CEO.

Finally, every complaint to Delta, whether or not you receive compensation will help. The same with complaints to GoGo.

The other thing that will get action is publicity. So to all the bloggers, let's start hearing about this problem and for those who have contact with columnists, both local and national, please get them involved. As always,the louder the wheel squeaks, the faster it gets attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.