Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bulk/Consolidator/Exception Fare Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bulk/Consolidator/Exception Fare Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Bulk/Consolidator/Exception Fare Question

I recently booked a vacation package to Europe via Orbitz, and every segment is operated and marketed by either by KL or AF. The ticket, however, was issued on DL ticket stock. I know that DL has an entire section on exception fares (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ion-fares.html).

This is where it gets kind of wacky: Because DL handles all calls for AF/KL in North America, I called the DM desk and asked about my specific itinerary and how much I'd earn in terms of MQMs, MQDs, and RDMs. Two different agents said different things. One agent said that I would earn MQMs/MQDs/RDMs based on the KL/AF earnings chart because they're the marketing carriers, and even I was on a bulk fare, the marketing carrier takes priority. Another agent said that I purchased a bulk fare. When I said that I was on 006 ticket stock, I asked what this would mean for MQD earnings. She said that she didn't know because she couldn't see how much I paid for the ticket. When I pressed a bit further and asked whether the marketing carrier should be the deciding factor, she said she didn't know -- then, she just hung up and I was passed onto the survey. The complication here is that the DL page reads that tickets issued on 006 ticket stock, but one DM agent said that this only applies to DL-operated flights.

If anyone has any insight on MQM/RDM/MQD earnings in these types of situations, please share. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
I am almost positive that you will earn based on distance flown. RDM will be based on fare class plus any applicable bonus for medallion level. MQD will be 1/5 of RDM. MQM is based on miles flown, this is the same for all tickets.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by KP2006
I am almost positive that you will earn based on distance flown. RDM will be based on fare class plus any applicable bonus for medallion level. MQD will be 1/5 of RDM. MQM is based on miles flown, this is the same for all tickets.
That's what I was thinking also. There was a part of me that wanted to call the OTA to ask if I could have the ticket reissued on KLM ticket stock. I've been trying to search what KL/AF bulk fares earn through FB, for example, and I can't find anything. (Data point: When I log onto KLM.com and pull my PNR, the number of FB miles that I earn is incredibly low--maybe 3000 mile? I'm ticketed in Z all the way.)

At this point, I wonder if I should just keep my ticket as is and assume that MQM, RDM, and MQD earnings will be based on the DL fare exception chart. After all, if I don't earn anything, at least I'll be able to point to the DL website and say that the language explicitly mentions 006 ticket stock and nothing about the operating carrier.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
You will definitely earn based on distance flown, and I see no reason to think you'd earn based on anything other than the regular KLM earning chart, which applies to any KLM-marketed flight regardless of ticket stock.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Rather than start a new thread....

Booked a cruise for this summer and have the plane tickets through cruise air. (Could not have come close to their price booking directly with Delta) The flight ticketed into V fare on Friday and I was allowed to buy up to C+ for the transatlantic legs from my Delta account. I understand that MQMs are supposed to be the same as a non-exception fare (useful because this trip will seriously help me get status) and am wondering if the redeemable miles exception fare calculation for the trip will be the 50% of transatlantic miles flown because of the original V fare or recalculate to 100% of miles flown due to the paid change to a W fare.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You only get credit for what you actually paid. Also note that C+ on DL metal is not Premimum economy. It's regular coach with a seat with slightly extra legroom. Only the A350 and some 777s have PE.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You only get credit for what you actually paid. Also note that C+ on DL metal is not Premimum economy. It's regular coach with a seat with slightly extra legroom. Only the A350 and some 777s have PE.
And as a leggy person with a 6'2" Spousal Unit, we try to always buy that sort of C+ for flights/segments more than two hours.

Still trying to figure out whether paying to move to W- fare class currently showing on PNR- is considered to be the 'what I actually paid' rather than the original V fare.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
And as a leggy person with a 6'2" Spousal Unit, we try to always buy that sort of C+ for flights/segments more than two hours.

Still trying to figure out whether paying to move to W- fare class currently showing on PNR- is considered to be the 'what I actually paid' rather than the original V fare.
C+ always has an underlying coach fare. There's no such thing as a W fare . Its simply a coach fare that allows one to sit in a C+ seat. They work like YUP fare used to work. You'll get credit based on the underlying V fare class.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
C+ always has an underlying coach fare. There's no such thing as a W fare . Its simply a coach fare that allows one to sit in a C+ seat. They work like YUP fare used to work. You'll get credit based on the underlying V fare class.
Thank makes sense- I rather expected as much but it's always good to check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.