How many bag/brag tags is too many?

Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It has made a difference in coach for me though. If I'm I'm 1 or 2 on the upgrade list and a told by the gate agent they're going to use YBYL I'll wait around the gate. By the tiem first boards full and I realize I'll be sitting in the back of the bus the bin space is usually full and I've had FA's notice the diamond tag and offer to move stuff around in the bins to try to accomodate my bag or tell people with jackets in the bin they have to be removed until the boarding door closes or just put it in the closet up front for me.
Jackets in the overhead bin piss me off to no end. I'm tempted sometimes to just throw my bag in on top of one.
jamesteroh and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WWads
Jackets in the overhead bin piss me off to no end. I'm tempted sometimes to just throw my bag in on top of one.
A predictable outcome of FCM... more newbies in FC, who are not familiar with FC amenities and don't realize that the FA will hang the jacket for them.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
A few years ago I had gotten on standby for a flight by a hair and boarded dead last. The flight attendant said explicitly "we can find room in the closet for a diamond" after seeing my bag tag. I would otherwise have been checking a bag to DCA, which usually adds 1-3 hours onto the end of a trip.

I actually don't have my tag on now because I keep forgetting, but I do mean to put it on in case it helps.

And I totally agree with the above posters: four tags seems silly to me, but who cares?
1-3 HOURS?!?!? Now, now. At DCA bags take like 15 minutes, routinely. It's nice not to check it, but... let's not exaggerate too much. Don't be afflicted with Diamond-itis!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I'm DM with DL, and I don't have any tags on my bags other than a regular ID tag that came with the bag. I don't mean to disparage people who do use the tags, but what's the point? They don't even have your SM on them anymore, so they're useless as far as actual identification goes, and any agent sees your status as soon as they pull up your PNR (and it doesn't come up much, but F/As can see it too on their SkyPros, if they care to look), so it's not like they need to see them for any reason.

Has anyone found that having them has actually made a difference in their travel experience?
--
I write my information on the back with a sharpie and put tape over it. Very classy. But somewhat useful. And, as others have said, it seems to make a bit of difference with getting bags overhead, or honestly, having staff be a bit friendlier because they know you're there a lot. I think it's sort of fun. I don't see it as anything to brag about - is it a GOOD thing that we fly so much for work?! It might be a better "status" symbol to not have status with anyone
jamesteroh and Zeeb like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
In defense of some (but not all), not all aircraft have closets. If I know I am going to be travelling with a jacket, I always check aircraft type before booking to ensure that it will have a safe home.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

When I first made status, I proudly put my Silver Medallion bag tag on my bag. When I picked it up at the baggage carousel, the tag and heavy duty tie-wrap were gone. I got the message.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I have but one simple PM bragtag on my backback. It's a bit hidden by my ebags connected luggage tag (does anyone else use these? I think they're great)

Anywho, I'm wondering what the OP's and others thoughts are about my bumpersticker!

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I have but one simple PM bragtag on my backback. It's a bit hidden by my ebags connected luggage tag (does anyone else use these? I think they're great)

Anywho, I'm wondering what the OP's and others thoughts are about my bumpersticker!
I think "thank God you had a pair of jeans and clothes on when you took your reflecto picture!".
JayTeaBee likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I remember getting one for free as an order add-on or something and looking into signing up but I forget why I didn't feel like completing their sign-up process.

What advantage does it have over putting my cell number or email address on a luggage tag? (One of the more permanent ones that comes with the luggage, not the flimsy strips of paper that give you in the check-in line)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
The advantage, imo, is that I don't have to have my name/#/address hanging out for the world to see. It's simply a QR code that can be scanned to obtain that information. So it is still easy to get my personal informaton, but does involve a little effort. The other cool thing is in the app you can mark a bag lost with a special message in the event it does get scanned.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The advantage, imo, is that I don't have to have my name/#/address hanging out for the world to see. It's simply a QR code that can be scanned to obtain that information. So it is still easy to get my personal informaton, but does involve a little effort. The other cool thing is in the app you can mark a bag lost with a special message in the event it does get scanned.
All I have on there is a phone number and email address, which is probably the same contact info they would notify you about the bag anyway. It's also hidden under a flap someone can't just randomly see it if they're snooping.

Being able to mark it lost is vaguely neat, but if someone doesn't think the bag is lost are they not likely to be scanning it in the first place?

I like tech, just still don't see how it improves the experience in this case. But if you like it, nothing wrong with that either!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Don't derive your identity by way of hierarchies that use precious metal taxonomies

I'm going to be a little harsh here, and recognize that some of this may be sacrilege on these boards.

I've never understood the notion that high status with an airline somehow equals "importance". Yeah, you're a sales guy with quotas to make, that probably puts you at the lower-middle to middle level on most corporate totem poles. Either that or you're a recently-minted MBA in your late 20s or early 30s and a slave to a consulting firm and have no life as you work 90 hours a week and live in hotel rooms every Monday through Thursday. Yeah, like I'm so envious that as a fringe benefit you are double super dooper platinum with some airline, some hotel chain, and some rental car company.

Anyone who derives their sense of identity and pride and ego by way of an airline-defined hierarchy utilizing a taxonomy of precious metals needs to examine their life. I was guilty of that when I was younger and traveled a lot on business. Now, 24 years into my career, my travel is considerably less than it once was, but I have a better sense of what really matters in life (human relationships to which I can commit time and energy being #1 ), and I'm much happier for it. Sure, I have my modest Gold status with Delta and take advantage of it, but I don't tout it, certainly don't use bag tags announcing myself as such, and I don't obsess over maintaining it year over year; if I do, great, if I suffer the indignity of falling to Silver or peon class, so be it, who cares.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
I'm going to be a little harsh here, and recognize that some of this may be sacrilege on these boards.

I've never understood the notion that high status with an airline somehow equals "importance". Yeah, you're a sales guy with quotas to make, that probably puts you at the lower-middle to middle level on most corporate totem poles. Either that or you're a recently-minted MBA in your late 20s or early 30s and a slave to a consulting firm and have no life as you work 90 hours a week and live in hotel rooms every Monday through Thursday. Yeah, like I'm so envious that as a fringe benefit you are double super dooper platinum with some airline, some hotel chain, and some rental car company.

Anyone who derives their sense of identity and pride and ego by way of an airline-defined hierarchy utilizing a taxonomy of precious metals needs to examine their life. I was guilty of that when I was younger and traveled a lot on business. Now, 24 years into my career, my travel is considerably less than it once was, but I have a better sense of what really matters in life (human relationships to which I can commit time and energy being #1 ), and I'm much happier for it. Sure, I have my modest Gold status with Delta and take advantage of it, but I don't tout it, certainly don't use bag tags announcing myself as such, and I don't obsess over maintaining it year over year; if I do, great, if I suffer the indignity of falling to Silver or peon class, so be it, who cares.

Wow, good for you.
Howste likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Speaking of tags, my colleague's new diamond bag tag is filmsy plastic and different colors.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The tags have absolutely no purpose after they took the bar code with your FF number off of them. I don't use them anymore.
I put a sticker label with my skymiles number on mine so it serves as a backup way to ID my bag if lost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.