Wiki Posts
Search

I got downgraded. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TTT
Good luck! Don't forget to include what you would want to see as a successful resolution. I think you will have the best luck requesting a credit voucher or miles in this instance.
Starting out by conceding the end game is a poor negotiation tactic. He also has two places to complaint, but has to make a choice on outcome.

DL is the ticketing carrier and his demand to DL ought to be to have the original outbound ticket reinstated, e.g. PE.

VS is the operating carrier of the downgraded segment. EC 261/2004 is specific about who is responsible and what the refund is. While consumers are free to negotiate, there is no reason to make a claim under the Regulation for less than the law clearly permits. That refund claim is for 75% of the base PE fare paid by OP.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
I got downgraded today - was first on the UG list, two seats open for FC from MSP to TUS.

T-60 minutes, saw in my app I got the upgrade to 3b. I reload a few minutes later and then it says 'upgraded/26a'.

I go up to gate agent - He admits to upgrading me and then realizing that 'two people had paid first tickets but didn't have seats selected'.

Oh well - Disappointing, but whatever.
Come on, this isn't even in the same league as what OP is talking about.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:06 am

A screenshot of the seat assignment on DL.com is my ace card for VS flights. The two systems are not well integrated. But once they BOTH show you in PE, the only conceivable downgrade is at the gate. It requires an extra step calling VS where a supervisor can modify the PNR to assign you a seat. Then you go back to DL.com and preserve it for the ages.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Just trying to make sense. (PE) Ticket was first purchased online on Delta, you then called Air France using a number found on Google.
Air France re-ticketed you as Economy for outbound and Business for return (by mistake / misunderstanding)
You call Virgin and Delta to fix this?
Why not call back Air France to fix the mistake or re-instate back to original PE if you prefer not to pay (900 + 480) for the Business upgrade?
Would you have taken the buy-up at 1,380?
In the US (assuming the OP called the US numbers) calling AF means essentially calling DL.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Starting out by conceding the end game is a poor negotiation tactic. He also has two places to complaint, but has to make a choice on outcome.

DL is the ticketing carrier and his demand to DL ought to be to have the original outbound ticket reinstated, e.g. PE.

VS is the operating carrier of the downgraded segment. EC 261/2004 is specific about who is responsible and what the refund is. While consumers are free to negotiate, there is no reason to make a claim under the Regulation for less than the law clearly permits. That refund claim is for 75% of the base PE fare paid by OP.
Stating your expectations for a successful resolution is the first step to beginning the negotiation. I have never had Delta refuse a reasonable suggestion for compensation (i.e. credit vouchers for service issues, refunds of cell phone bills when Delta messed up an international schedule change). But those requests were stated early on in my communication with them.

The OP isn't going to get the EC compensation as they agreed to the reticketing, even in the lower cabin. Proving that the AF agent failed to notify of the change in class of service on the return is going to be next to impossible. The OP should try the customer service route, IMO.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I’m curious about something. If the OP had checked his reservation on delta.com immediately after the call to AF and caught the downgrade right away, rather than when VS (Or Delta?) sent him an email about it, would he have been able to call back and restore the original reservation? Or was the change immediately irrevocable?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I’m curious about something. If the OP had checked his reservation on delta.com immediately after the call to AF and caught the downgrade right away, rather than when VS sent him an email about it, would he have been able to call back and restore the original reservation?

I don't know about restore, but IME reissuing a ticket triggers a new 24 hour risk free cancellation.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't know about restore, but IME reissuing a ticket triggers a new 24 hour risk free cancellation.
I have no clue if that is true or not.

But in this case, with the pax complaining that the re-issue was not what they asked for and is still only 2 days out, I would expect DL would reverse it if pressed.

Unless I missed it, OP never asked DL to simply restore the entire original fare and refund the upgrade cost,. That is the reasonable solution to the issue.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I did try to reverse everything but they said that because of the price difference from when I bought the ticket to now I'd have to pay the $480 at a minimum. Even then it was never a possibility to reverse the upgrade charge of $900.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by nock
I did try to reverse everything but they said that because of the price difference from when I bought the ticket to now I'd have to pay the $480 at a minimum. Even then it was never a possibility to reverse the upgrade charge of $900.
How soon after the changes were made did you try to reverse it? Was it less than 24 hours?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It shouldn't matter how long it was or what the current price of the ticket is. If he bought X, and then someone fat fingered something and downgraded him to Y, he should get X back for no cost.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

How soon after the changes were made did you try to reverse it? Was it less than 24 hours?
I called back literally within minutes. At one point I was told that it was too late and nothing could be done until the next day. Even if I had canceled the upgrade within 24 hours that would have left me with no flight and I would have had to repurchase the original flight at the higher price anyways. I would also have presumably been out the cost of the original flight as well since that was a nonrefundable ticket booked months ago.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nock

I called back literally within minutes. At one point I was told that it was too late and nothing could be done until the next day. Even if I had canceled the upgrade within 24 hours that would have left me with no flight and I would have had to repurchase the original flight at the higher price anyways. I would also have presumably been out the cost of the original flight as well since that was a nonrefundable ticket booked months ago.

This is where I see a real red flag. I think the mistake is easy enough to understand, but there is no reason that they could not have undone what was just done. Yes, it would have taken some work, and involved calling supervisors and international reissue and possibly partners at AF and VS, but it could have been done had someone been motivated to roll up their sleeves and do it.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is where I see a real red flag. I think the mistake is easy enough to understand, but there is no reason that they could not have undone what was just done. Yes, it would have taken some work, and involved calling supervisors and international reissue and possibly partners at AF and VS, but it could have been done had someone been motivated to roll up their sleeves and do it.
I hear you but I was on the phone for 2 hours that night with af, vs and dl and a supervisor without success.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TTT
Stating your expectations for a successful resolution is the first step to beginning the negotiation. I have never had Delta refuse a reasonable suggestion for compensation (i.e. credit vouchers for service issues, refunds of cell phone bills when Delta messed up an international schedule change). But those requests were stated early on in my communication with them.

The OP isn't going to get the EC compensation as they agreed to the reticketing, even in the lower cabin. Proving that the AF agent failed to notify of the change in class of service on the return is going to be next to impossible. The OP should try the customer service route, IMO.
Unless you know something, we don't, I read the OP has having agreed to "a" reticketing, not "the" reticketing. Put simply, OP agreed to being reticketed on the return in J. He did not agree to a downgrade to Y.

That is a downgrade. EC 261/2004 is clear. Making a claim under the Regulation for less than it requires is admitting that you have no case.

VS make pay out. If it does, OP has a nice fat bank transfer. If it does not, OP can do a SCC claim in the UK with a telephonic hearing. Who knows, a judge might believe him and order the payment. Or, the day he files, VS may well offer something reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.