Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Weather Advisory

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
DTW rarely gets a weather advisory, so DL must really be expecting the worst!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
OP, I'm glad it all worked out

With weather waivers, I've learned that if there is a change I've always wanted to make (timing, routing, etc), the waiver provides a perfect excuse to get it done. If there is major weather forecast for an airport, I'll try to avoid it if at all possible.

However, I also know weather forecasts are subject to change and I may not have needed to change my flight (and therefore may not have needed to wake up at 3:30 AM). For example, in the DTW area, a small shift in the heaviest snow band can make all the difference. And the problem with weather forecasting is that you can't be too specific too far out.

For that reason, if possible, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to adverse weather -- and that seems like DL's rationale lately too.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Delta allowed me to change my YYZ-DTW-LAX flight in paid domestic-first-class to YYZ-JFK-LAX with JFK-LAX in Delta One business-class.

Even if DTW is up and running I was more concerned the short regional jet slight between DTW and YYZ may not be on-time.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I know if a flight cancels Delta has to refund the ticket if you request.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a refund (or in my case it will be a mileage redeposit) if a flight is severely delayed?

I have a flight tomorrow night and there is a weather waiver but if the weather ends up not being too bad I still want to make the trip. If the flight is posting a severe delay before I leave for the airport I don't want to make the drive in bad weather to DTW to have it end up cancelling and then having to make the drive back in bad weather and would just not go as opposed to landing at LGA past midnight or worse being stuck at the airport for hours to have my flight cancel and drive back and waste my friday night.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
For that reason, if possible, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to adverse weather -- and that seems like DL's rationale lately too.
It changed after the Atlanta meltdown where it took 5+ days to recover systemwide from a day of thunderstorm closures - because they failed to put any waivers up at all, even after ATL had been shut down for hours.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Has anyone had any luck in getting a refund (or in my case it will be a mileage redeposit) if a flight is severely delayed?

I have a flight tomorrow night and there is a weather waiver but if the weather ends up not being too bad I still want to make the trip. If the flight is posting a severe delay before I leave for the airport I don't want to make the drive in bad weather to DTW to have it end up cancelling and then having to make the drive back in bad weather and would just not go as opposed to landing at LGA past midnight or worse being stuck at the airport for hours to have my flight cancel and drive back and waste my friday night.
Why not move the flight to tonight or Saturday?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Sure. It's covered in the contract of carriage. It's covered in DOT Guidance letters. From the C of C:

In the event of flight cancellation, diversion, delays of greater than 90 minutes, or delays that will cause a passenger to miss connections, Delta will (at passenger’s request) cancel the remaining ticket and refund the unused portion of the ticket and unused ancillary fees in the original form of payment in accordance with Rule 260 of these conditions of carriage.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Why not move the flight to tonight or Saturday?
I have appointments tomorrow and have to be in the office so flying out tonight isn't a possibility (plus I don't want to pay for another night hotel).

I thought about moving it to Saturday but don't want to go to NYC for just one night.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Just to update:
We got out just fine Friday AM. The drive to the airport was already pretty sketchy, so I'm glad we swapped to the earlier flight. It seems like others had the same thought because the airport was PACKED! Super long lines to check bags and for security (Thank Goodness for TSA precheck). We got out with only a slight delay for de-icing. It looked like all major flights (ORL, Las Angeles, Vegas) made it out and the smaller regional flights were cancelled (ie I checked DTW to PWM, DTW to LGA). Definitely impressed with the operations at DTW in managing all that snow and people.
Thanks for the help and advice.
Sara
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SaraPA
Just to update:
We got out just fine Friday AM. The drive to the airport was already pretty sketchy, so I'm glad we swapped to the earlier flight. It seems like others had the same thought because the airport was PACKED! Super long lines to check bags and for security (Thank Goodness for TSA precheck). We got out with only a slight delay for de-icing. It looked like all major flights (ORL, Las Angeles, Vegas) made it out and the smaller regional flights were cancelled (ie I checked DTW to PWM, DTW to LGA). Definitely impressed with the operations at DTW in managing all that snow and people.
Thanks for the help and advice.
Sara
Glad you made it out ok.

Actually the DTW to LGA flights all went out with no cancels. There was one or two flights that cancelled to EWR but the JFK and LGA flights went out.

I was scheduled to fly to LGA on the last flight of the night and while the weather was fine here everyone was telling me not to make the drive because of how bad the roads were. My flight was delayed 80 minutes when I called and I was told Deltas policy was to allow a refund on any flight that is delayed over 90 minutes (which I think is generous seeing I've had flights delayed on southwest by over four hours and they would only give a credit) but he noticed I was a diamond on an award ticket and he transferred me to a supervisor who just redeposited the miles and refunded the tax to my credit card. Flight ended up not making it into until after 1 a.m. so I would have been entitled to a refund eventually anyway.

I was really impressed as to how fast my call was answered.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

I received the weather advisory for tomorrow and checked the weather forecast. I'm supposed to fly out of Saginaw in the afternoon to Detroit and then Baltimore. I decided not to risk it and called the Diamond Desk to change flights. The best option I saw was leaving Flint on the first flight to Atlanta. Diamond Desk refused to make the change without a change fee and fare difference charge even though Saginaw and Flint are basically coterminus. I asked for a supervisor, who agreed with me and made the change free of charge. She put on me on a hold and had ticketing reissue the ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by spudley007
DTW rarely gets a weather advisory, so DL must really be expecting the worst!
W underground dot com 10 day forecast indicates 1 to 3 inches for Sunday Feb 10 , which for DTW is no big deal. Other cities may be a different story.

Bob H
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by BobH
W underground dot com 10 day forecast indicates 1 to 3 inches for Sunday Feb 10 , which for DTW is no big deal. Other cities may be a different story.

Bob H
The post you quoted was from last year. I also had to double check the date, so no worries

The most recent DTW waiver was for February 05, 2019 through February 06, 2019 due to the threat of freezing rain/mixed precip.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I received the weather advisory for tomorrow and checked the weather forecast. I'm supposed to fly out of Saginaw in the afternoon to Detroit and then Baltimore. I decided not to risk it and called the Diamond Desk to change flights. The best option I saw was leaving Flint on the first flight to Atlanta. Diamond Desk refused to make the change without a change fee and fare difference charge even though Saginaw and Flint are basically coterminus. I asked for a supervisor, who agreed with me and made the change free of charge. She put on me on a hold and had ticketing reissue the ticket.
You opened up a post from a YEAR AGO.

Pretty sure I was not the only person flying up that way this weekend and thought this was a current thread.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD
DL wants to reduce the number of problems caused by bad weather days, so they entice people to shift their travel plans to good weather days.
From personal experience I call BS on this, even though they outwardly appear to want to.

I still have a serious bone to pick with DL over how they treated me during the November snow storm. They asked me for change fees twice and refused reaccomodation prior to my flight - then getting reaccomodated after was a total pain in the ... - even though anyone with a brain knew the flights I had booked would be cancelled.

I very nearly status matched and went to AA or UA but at this point am not interested in completely rejiggering my credit card setup as Amex treats me very well.

Edit: And apparently I should make sure of how old the thread itself is instead of contributing to the zombie.

Last edited by slykens; Feb 7, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: old thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.