Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Coming from AA...grass is definitely a shade greener

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming from AA...grass is definitely a shade greener

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:04 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They need to make a change to their pre-board wheelchair policy. If you board the plane in a wheelchair then you will leave the plane in a wheelchair. I've seen too many healing flights where wheelchair passengers miraculously regain their ability to walk upon landing.
Nice idea, but how would you enforce it? Granny's just going to get up and leave when the rest of the people in her row do. I doubt the FAs want to start cracking down on this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OTD
Nice idea, but how would you enforce it? Granny's just going to get up and leave when the rest of the people in her row do. I doubt the FAs want to start cracking down on this.
As mentioned, they will be marked in the system as being unable to ever request a wheelchair again. It's an abuse and waste of resources. People should be grateful that they are able to walk.
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Wow, this thread turned weird fast.

As to AA vs DL I appreciate the perspective. As a longtime DM on Delta I've recently been flying places where AA would be more convenient (even direct vs connect) and is almost universally across the board cheaper. Switching costs seem super high for me, and I do appreciate all things that come with DM status from sky club access, FC upgrades, easy SDC, etc. So I'm sticking it out, for now at least.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Welcome to DL. I'm a former AA traveler as well and quite happy with DL.

Originally Posted by PHL
3.) Simplified boarding. Travelers needing assistance, followed by Diamond/Premium cabin, Sky and a few coach zones. The 9 boarding zones on AA has become maddening and a free for all at the gate. Who can keep track of that!?
I'd argue exactly the opposite. DL's boarding process is a mess. There's at least 4 boarding groups before Zone 1. So you end up with a bunch of kettles who are in Zone 1 and (logically) think they're boarding first and jam up the boarding area. I'd much prefer the way that AA does it. You can clearly know if you're in Z4 that Z1-3 will board before you.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by HDQDD; Feb 7, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
[left]

As mentioned, they will be marked in the system as being unable to ever request a wheelchair again.
yeah that sounds legal.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
yeah that sounds legal.
Why not? People who abuse prescription drugs can be put on a list. It sucks if one day they might actually need it.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I made the move in December 2016 after AA announced their devaluation of upgrade priority for EXP and Priority Pro. I still flew AA a fair amount last year as an EXP, but I flew Delta more. Got matched to DL plat early, ran on a pace to requal all year until I got sick in September. Have floated back to Gold for 2018 but with an extra 13k MQM to soften the blow. No credit card, don't really need it thanks to partner EQDs.

Some thoughts:
1. The DL coach seats are more comfortable than the AA coach seats, by a wide margin.
2. The DL staff is consistently friendlier
3. The DL domestic F seats have about 2.5 inches less pitch than the AA seats. But they are free for all tiers if you can clear.
4. There are way more DL C+ seats than AA MCE seats.
5. As long as I avoided Atlanta, my upgrade percentage was about 70% last year as a Plat. My upgrade percentage on AA as an EXP wasn't that good.
6. VS Premium Economy is all I need to cross the Atlantic, and it's reasonably priced and gives a bucket-full of MQD.
7. I'm spending more time in 2018 connecting. But my travel patterns are changing and by mid-2019 I won't be living full time in an AA hub, and connections will be a way of life.
8. The DL Sky Clubs are pretty nice with something approximating real food. I have a lot of 2pm flights, and a plate of pasta salad and a cookie is just fine.
9. DL Clubs have Sprite Zero. (At the ORD club, it's hidden in the refrigerator in the back)
10. DTW is a pleasure for connections, and ATL is more efficient than CLT.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the move.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
DL domestic F seats have about 2.5 inches less pitch than the AA seats.
News to me. Wonder what AA is smoking.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A thorough read of applicable accessibility regulations would do both you and readywhenyouare some good. Delta must comply with the law. Discrimination is prohibited by law. You think you're clever but display a lack of empathy.

Link to 14 CFR 382: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=ae47679a5dc0b0cdd685abc7e3437dbb&mc=true&n ode=pt14.4.382&rgn=div5#sp14.4.382.e
If you read my post carefully...
I am happy to lets pass first wheelchair passenger (life is not easy for them), but I am again peoples abusing the system and play with the rules.

I know handicap peoples, what make me upset is peoples without handicap, playing handicap to receive advantages of handicap peoples. This also apply for parking place, some peoples have the sticker for handicap parking, and abuse of it (I have see many time peoples use this sticker, going out of their minivan NORMALY). They take the place of a real handicap person.

IS the peoples 'playing' this, who are missing empathy (and peoples who also defend this also).
To fake handicap when you did not have one, IS A FRAUD.

Situation is very, VERY simple...
Airline know who ask for wheelchair, because they must also arrange for them when they will disembark at arrival.

It is simple: when the person arrive at airport and request (or have already request) a wheelchair, is:

- To inform them, at the arrival they MUST wait to disembark by wheelchair also (at the end).

- If they did not wait (go out by themselves), this mean they ARE NOT handicap… period (or some miracle happen in the plane).

- In both case (miracle or not) next time, their request for wheelchair will be reject.

I agree, Delta MUST respect the law.

BUT, it is not broken the law to refuse a service to peoples who fake an handicap.

Last edited by FBplatinum; Feb 7, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Can we clean this thread up to stay on topic? I don't believe this thread is the place to discuss the legal ramifications of abusing the use of wheelchairs. I'm generally interested in the status and flying differences between AA and DL, I'd love to hear more experiences from people. I have considered doing a late 2018 status match to test the waters with AA. My main concern with DL is that I have a boatload of miles but can't find any decent D1 transatlantic redemption but I can find a ton on AA. I was, however, able to get D1 to NRT with 160K miles round trip last year, but have not found anything near as good for travel this year (and it seems to be getting worse).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelsay
I'm generally interested in the status and flying differences between AA and DL, I'd love to hear more experiences from people.
I'm almost certain there are a ton, in both the AA and DL forums.

I have considered doing a late 2018 status match to test the waters with AA. My main concern with DL is that I have a boatload of miles but can't find any decent D1 transatlantic redemption but I can find a ton on AA. I was, however, able to get D1 to NRT with 160K miles round trip last year, but have not found anything near as good for travel this year (and it seems to be getting worse).
I think you'll find that DL has a lot more "in-between" pricing compared to AA's Saver vs. Anytime awards. So it's probably not terribly difficult to find DL availability at, say, a 50-75% premium to the lowest (not that anyone knows what the lowest really is on DL...) whereas on AA it's either low level or a 100% premium (putting aside the Anytime 1 and 2 levels, and I'm simplifying). So if you have flexibility and time to look, you'll find better options with AAdvantage, but if you have a lot of miles, maybe DL works better for you.

There are just a few humps I can't get over on SkyMiles - the mileage upgrade system (on longhaul) is terrible, no international first class rewards, no free award changes (unless 75k+ elite flyier), and that stupid 72 hour rule that prevents you from finding a better itinerary/routing at the last minute.

I also hate the frequent close-in schedule changes on DL - just had two on a r/t for DL 6 weeks in advance. Really, Delta?
And of course on DL, when things go bad, they go BAD.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think you'll find that DL has a lot more "in-between" pricing compared to AA's Saver vs. Anytime awards. So it's probably not terribly difficult to find DL availability at, say, a 50-75% premium to the lowest (not that anyone knows what the lowest really is on DL...) whereas on AA it's either low level or a 100% premium (putting aside the Anytime 1 and 2 levels, and I'm simplifying). So if you have flexibility and time to look, you'll find better options with AAdvantage, but if you have a lot of miles, maybe DL works better for you.

There are just a few humps I can't get over on SkyMiles - the mileage upgrade system (on longhaul) is terrible, no international first class rewards, no free award changes (unless 75k+ elite flyier), and that stupid 72 hour rule that prevents you from finding a better itinerary/routing at the last minute.

I also hate the frequent close-in schedule changes on DL - just had two on a r/t for DL 6 weeks in advance. Really, Delta?
And of course on DL, when things go bad, they go BAD.
Thanks for the mileage insight, I'm not too familiar with AA award tickets but did some dummy bookings around my flights this year and found a lot more saver availability compared to my DL flights. One thing with DL that bothers me as well, I wish the RUCs with DL were available to apply online because I tend to have trouble with them quite often. I used all 4 this year already for a round trip with 2 pax mainly because I don't want to deal with having to use them later in the year. My understanding is plat pro does not have any certificates such as RUCs or GUCs which is a major drawback. Are the Exec Plat system wide certificates able to be applied online or is it also a call in and play the "can you check this flight for me" game with an agent?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:37 pm

They need to make a change to their pre-board wheelchair policy. If you board the plane in a wheelchair then you will leave the plane in a wheelchair. I've seen too many healing flights where wheelchair passengers miraculously regain their ability to walk upon landing.
And limit the number of people that pre-board with the wheelchair passenger to a max of one or two.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I've been with DL. UA and AA..AA has been the most consistent..
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
I've been with DL. UA and AA..AA has been the most consistent..
Do you mean that AA has been the most consistently bad?!

I find it hard to generalize among the top three USA airlines, anyway. So many mergers it is hard to have a consistent product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.