Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the baggage allowance for combined Premium Select/First Class itineraries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the baggage allowance for combined Premium Select/First Class itineraries?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Wife is traveling to/from PEK in Premium Select.

DL baggage allowance table has a heading "First Class, Delta Premium Select4, Delta One® " with 70 lbs shown on each row beneath.

But, footnote 4 states " Delta Premium Select customers are allowed 2 free bags (50lbs, 23kgs each)."

But, her domestic segments are in first class, which the table says allows 70 lbs.

Nothing in the table addresses any exceptions to the FC allowance for FC segments in conjunction with Premium Select segments.

The most bizarre interpretation would be that she gets 70 lbs per bag going over, since the initial segment is FC, but only 50 lbs returning since the initial segment is Premium Select.

This is what folks who deal in the human factors discipline call an error-likely situation.

Cramming Premium Select into the same column as First Class and Delta One, and then providing a footnote exception that says the info in that column does not apply to Premium Select... rather than providing a separate Premium Select column... is a tad bit lazy.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:57 pm

It's 2x50 pounds. In addition to the footnote, they have a box at the top of the page
For Delta Premium Select customers, the following baggage allowances apply:
  • 2 free bags weighing a maximum of 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Unfortunately web design isn't always the easiest thing. Looking at the layout of this page and the baggage allowance table, there is no way to add an additional column showing two 50# bag symbols without either shrinking the other columns a disproportionate amount or widening the table, which would then throw it out of alignment with the remainder of the page. Perhaps they could get rid of the 70# symbols all together and just show two bags and have a separate table to show the weight restrictions. It could be this is a temporary fix until they have the time/resources to more fully redesign the page in the future. However I think their current method is sufficient having a box before you even encounter saying 50lbs per bag and having the footnote clarify that the 70# symbol isn't meant to represent the weight restriction for premium select.

Also, regarding first class vs. premium select weight/bag allowance. Unless your wife is on a split fare, her fare is a premium select that has the domestic segment in an available first class seat (there are accounts of a premium select seated in domestic Y when first class seats aren't available), but the underlying fare is still premium select. So, no she doesn't get 70# going over, she gets 50# because that is the allowance for the premium select fare she is flying on.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

Also, regarding first class vs. premium select weight/bag allowance. Unless your wife is on a split fare, her fare is a premium select that has the domestic segment in an available first class seat (there are accounts of a premium select seated in domestic Y when first class seats aren't available), but the underlying fare is still premium select. So, no she doesn't get 70# going over, she gets 50# because that is the allowance for the premium select fare she is flying on.

I don't think this is at all clear. In my experience, Delta baggage policies are related to the cabin of travel, not the fare. I say this because passengers who have been upgraded retain their underlying fare class for all other purposes (mileage earning, ticket changes, waitlist priority, etc) but they are able to utilize first class baggage allowances. I understand the OP's confusion and I don't think we will have an answer until we get some reports from pax.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think this is at all clear. In my experience, Delta baggage policies are related to the cabin of travel, not the fare. I say this because passengers who have been upgraded retain their underlying fare class for all other purposes (mileage earning, ticket changes, waitlist priority, etc) but they are able to utilize first class baggage allowances. I understand the OP's confusion and I don't think we will have an answer until we get some reports from pax.
+1... I would expect baggage policy based on the highest class of service in the itinerary, until demonstrated otherwise.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
To hedge our bets, we kept the heaviest bag just under 50 lbs. (Of course, I have no way of predicting what my wife may purchase in China prior to her return. )

Folks on the Diamond line also found the posted informative to be ambiguous and, to protect us, added a note to the reservation file stating that we had been told that 70 lbs would be allowed.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:03 am

Perhaps not useful for OP, but here's a data point:

I flew EWR -> NRT in early January in Premium Select. My understanding (after skimming the chart) was that I got 2x 70lb bags. The agent checking my bags in confirmed this (although she had trouble w/ the system), which is great, because I took full advantage of the weight allowance.

A few weeks ago, I looked at the chart again and noticed the footnote (it's very unclear), so I'm really hoping I don't have a hassle on my return flight back to the US soon. Worst case, I guess I can argue that a segment of my flight is in First, and that they gave me the 70lbs on my trip here...

Last edited by g2x222; Mar 6, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bennos
+1... I would expect baggage policy based on the highest class of service in the itinerary, until demonstrated otherwise.
Of course, on TATL, if you get upgraded on a domestic leg before your longhaul, the standard baggage allowance (2x50 for elites) still applies. I think there's even an FAA regulation somewhere that states that baggage allowance is dictated by the longest leg (I think it has been referenced to me by an agent once) but I haven't taken the time to verify that.

If Delta wanted to simplify their horrible baggage chart, they could easily put together a tiny web app where you would input your origin and destination and it would then spit out the baggage allowances by class of service, military status, elite status etc. Or you could even enter those parameters into the app along with the destination information, though the risk is that if you have too many variables, people will get confused.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Dude

Of course, on TATL, if you get upgraded on a domestic leg before your longhaul, the standard baggage allowance (2x50 for elites) still applies. I think there's even an FAA regulation somewhere that states that baggage allowance is dictated by the longest leg (I think it has been referenced to me by an agent once) but I haven't taken the time to verify that.

If Delta wanted to simplify their horrible baggage chart, they could easily put together a tiny web app where you would input your origin and destination and it would then spit out the baggage allowances by class of service, military status, elite status etc. Or you could even enter those parameters into the app along with the destination information, though the risk is that if you have too many variables, people will get confused.
It's actually a combination of a DOT law, and IATA guideline. This site has a good writeup: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ine.Trips.html
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: SkyPass, SkyMiles
Hello all! I am in the same situation as the OP's wife (flying first class from SAV-->ATL-->DTW then premium select DTW-->ICN). Any updates from someone who has flown with this combo since this thread opened?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
To make matters more confusing, at the bottom of the baggage page it shows that elites, of any status, get 3x50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.