Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub Food Standards Dropping (2016-now)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Since the revamp of better Skyclub food I find that their standards are slowly dropping over the years.

Back in 2016(?), they had this awesome Jambalaya soup. It was awesome, it had rice, chicken, sausage, you name it. It could serve as a meal. It's gone, haven't seen it for years.

As recent as 2017, they had a decent Thai chicken soup, not as good as Jambalaya but still a bar over the rest, and this year I can't find any on my travels.

Instead I'm getting chicken noodle soup which is like the most generic piece of crap. Literally the same stuff as from the can. I've seen this nonsense in MSP and DTW so far. Has anyone seen this trend of declining quality of Skyclub food? Or am I just visiting crappy locations this year?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Feb 6, 2018 at 7:03 am Reason: Violation of the TOS, attempt to bypass the profanity filter
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the Wicked Thai Chicken recently. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it was in the HNL club.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The MSY Club alternates between Jambalaya and Gumbo (which is just as good), They also have mini-Muffulettas and shuck oysters on Friday afternoons.

You just don't hang out in the right places.

I also had the Thai recently, possibly either LGA D or ATL A
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
I think the quality has gone down

I think the food was better in 2016 when compared to 2017. The majority of my SC visits are ATL (mostly T - D), but visit a few other (e.g LAX). In 2017, I tended to eat outside the SC when compared to 2016.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Living in Orlando I'm usually in the MCO club at breakfast time. I think their offerings have been pretty good.
miraclebear2003 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:06 pm

There is huge variability, both in type and quality. SFO is great and diverse, in my opinion. MSP has quite different choices. SAN is consistently limited and poor quality.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jalves
Living in Orlando I'm usually in the MCO club at breakfast time. I think their offerings have been pretty good.
Had a colleague with me and thus used Priority Pass to get him in for free to The Club at MCO. Wow it's so much nicer. Better food. Better drinks(not alcoholic stuff). Internet
was quick and useful. Even have Xbox for kids to play. I'll be going there every single time I am at MCO now. Skip the SkyClub.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Had a colleague with me and thus used Priority Pass to get him in for free to The Club at MCO. Wow it's so much nicer. Better food. Better drinks(not alcoholic stuff). Internet
was quick and useful. Even have Xbox for kids to play. I'll be going there every single time I am at MCO now. Skip the SkyClub.
Thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I agree that the chicken noodle soup isn't up to par with the Wicked Thai soup. Also, last week, I saw only cheddar cheese in ATL at both B and the D basement clubs as opposed to cheddar, pepper jack, and Swiss. I actually like the cheddar the least of the three.

I've been luck in that most of my club usage is in SEA, where the food is much better than the standard stuff.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I agree that the chicken noodle soup isn't up to par with the Wicked Thai soup. Also, last week, I saw only cheddar cheese in ATL at both B and the D basement clubs as opposed to cheddar, pepper jack, and Swiss. I actually like the cheddar the least of the three.

I've been luck in that most of my club usage is in SEA, where the food is much better than the standard stuff.
Yes, I too terribly miss the Thai Coconut soup. Aside from the odd food choices popping up is the set-up/presentation. In MSP for example the cheese cube bins are so deep that the tongs or spoon seems to always be fully dropped into the bin. The spoon used for the pasta is constantly full of sauce just left sitting out on the spoon rest. DTW desperately needs to be remodeled to accommodate the food presentations. AFAIK there is no pending plans to renovate the DTW lounges.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I like The Club at MCO over the SkyClub for similar reasons. Also, it's more modern inside. Last time I was in the SkyClub I couldn't believe how dirty the seats were over by the windows. The fabric was just disgusting.

With the said, I think overall, especially in major airports, the SkyClub food has gotten better over the years. I'm DCA based and we're getting a renovated SkyClub with hot buffet, etc. I'm guessing it will be similar to SFO for non-hub cities. In SkyClubs today, especially at breakfast, you can actually have a decent breakfast that isn't just unhealthy garbage. This was tough a few years back. The SkyClub is still nowhere near the Centurion Lounges or some of the other PP clubs, but it's better that it was years ago.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I've noticed a decline in quality at the ATL clubs (majority of my connections); it's basically the same runny mac and cheese and a rotating soup (sometimes decent though), along with a potato salad, orzo salad, hummus, etc. But like another poster said, depends where you go. Other airports I've flown through in the past 6 months have had more interesting and better quality options.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmarge18
I've noticed a decline in quality at the ATL clubs (majority of my connections); it's basically the same runny mac and cheese and a rotating soup (sometimes decent though), along with a potato salad, orzo salad, hummus, etc. But like another poster said, depends where you go. Other airports I've flown through in the past 6 months have had more interesting and better quality options.
They got rid of Pimento cheese at the ATL clubs. That combined with crackers and soup used to make a decent meal.

In general SC food is fine. The clubs I visit usually have two soups and grilled chicken with rolls. CVG doesn't have enough kitchen space for regular hot offerings, but they try their best to provide something other than soup 2-3 times a week.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
At one point SEA was serving Beechers Mac & Cheese in the A SkyClub which was amazing. Then it switched to a rigatoni pasta with meatballs which was still pretty good. But since then it's become somewhat disappointing. They're at least still serving Ivar's Clam Chowder which is good. I do miss the Chicken Tortilla soup that I was getting 1-2 years ago. Otherwise I've found the lunch/dinner options somewhat disappointing at SEA the past 6-12 months. I do like the breakfast spread with the eggs and hashbrowns and salsa and bacon and cheese to make a decent breakfast bowl.

I was excited when I connected in JFK back in late December and they were serving Nathan's Hot Dogs and Knishs at the T4 SkyClub, which were a nice treat to get.

Originally Posted by WWads
They got rid of Pimento cheese at the ATL clubs. That combined with crackers and soup used to make a decent meal.

In general SC food is fine. The clubs I visit usually have two soups and grilled chicken with rolls. CVG doesn't have enough kitchen space for regular hot offerings, but they try their best to provide something other than soup 2-3 times a week.
DL should serve Skyline Chili at the CVG SkyClub.
dmarge18 and No_Name like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It is frustrating that the food offerings aren't consistent. For example, some of the lounges have sliced grilled chicken breasts, which when combined with some salad greens or brown rice can make for a good meal. Other lounges don't -- including within the same airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.