Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SEA-ATL Direct or via JFK in Delta One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-ATL Direct or via JFK in Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by kdonnel
I am being offered the flight because the direct flight we booked changed by several hours. I am assuming I can click through the change process and get what they are offering? Is that a bad assumption?
Our flight to Anchorage was changed to a 767-300 which Flyer Talk does not hold in high regards. The flight we have been moved to from SEA to ATL is another 757 but several hours after what we originally booked.
Wow, surprised they are taking a 767-300 to AK (or is that ATL-SEA, I'm confused...). I am not sure if your return is an overnight flight (or you have one routing ANC-ATL, it kind of sounds like you are stopping for a few days in Seattle). but the SkyClub at A1 in Seattle (the new one) is very nice and it has SHOWERS. When I book back from Alaska I book DL precisely as I can take a shower before my connecting flight after the (rather short) red-eye from ANC. The SkyClub at JFK has them as well. That would tip things into the direction of connecting for me (vs just getting on a 5 hour flight to ATL.

Plus, if you have not done it, its worth the experience.

Last edited by spin88; Feb 4, 2018 at 5:25 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
Wow, surprised they are taking a 767-300 to AK (or is that ATL-SEA, I'm confused...). I am not sure if your return is an overnight flight (or you have one routing ANC-ATL, it kind of sounds like you are stopping for a few days in Seattle). but the SkyClub at A1 in Seattle (the new one) is very nice and it has SHOWERS. When I book back from Alaska I book DL precisely as I can take a shower before my connecting flight after the (rather short) red-eye from ANC. The SkyClub at JFK has them as well. That would tip things into the direction of connecting for me (vs just getting on a 5 hour flight to ATL.

Plus, if you have not done it, its worth the experience.
We are flying ATL-ANC, spending four days in Anchorage, boarding a cruise that ends up in Vancouver, driving to Seattle and spending four days there before flying home.

Originally both fligthts were 757 but the outbound was changed to the domestic 767-300 and the return was changed to have a departure several hours later than I originally booked.

I think I am just going to leave everything alone. I booked non stop flights for a reason and should just leave well enough alone. Connecting through JFK just seems needlessly time consuming and risky.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I've flown ATL-SEA and vv and it's already a long flight. No need to add a connection if ATL is home.

I'm surprised your schedule changed to a domestic style 767-300 ATL-ANC. I thought those planes were being retired early this year. I'd watch out for potentially another change on that one.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzcon
I've flown ATL-SEA and vv and it's already a long flight. No need to add a connection if ATL is home.

I'm surprised your schedule changed to a domestic style 767-300 ATL-ANC. I thought those planes were being retired early this year. I'd watch out for potentially another change on that one.
Hoping they sub in one of the international configured 767 versions. From what I gather there are only two domestic 767-300 left in service.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:34 pm

Hoping they sub in one of the international configured 767 versions. From what I gather there are only two domestic 767-300 left in service.
​​​​​​
That's what I have read - hopefully they retire them soon. The 1980s called and wants those seats and overhead bins back.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Perhaps I missed the announcement, but SEA-JFK isn't a D1 route. That was cancelled a year or two ago. I know they are flying some 75S's on the route, but it'll be the same F service OP would get in F on SEA-ATL, just not a flat seat, no?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzcon
​​​​​​
That's what I have read - hopefully they retire them soon. The 1980s called and wants those seats and overhead bins back.
And just like that the ATL-ANC flight has switched back to a 757.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

Wow. Did you see Doc Brown or a DeLorean?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Yes, a 763 seemed really odd, a lot of capacity on that route. I think you are wise to keep it SEA-ATL direct. That is short enough of a flight that a connection is just not worth it, even if D1 service were in the offing. The skyclubs are nice, but on a day flight (vs overnight where a shower is key...) certainly not worth either the extra flight time, nor layover time.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
jeez, that’s almost 8 hours — which is a looooooong time on a narrow-body; I for one would seriously consider changing that to a connection over MSP/SEA
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Perhaps I missed the announcement, but SEA-JFK isn't a D1 route. That was cancelled a year or two ago. I know they are flying some 75S's on the route, but it'll be the same F service OP would get in F on SEA-ATL, just not a flat seat, no?
Yup, missed the announcement from last November: Delta One service, amenities take flight in select long-haul domestic markets | Delta News Hub
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jrl767
jeez, that’s almost 8 hours — which is a looooooong time on a narrow-body; I for one would seriously consider changing that to a connection over MSP/SEA
And its the god awful variant of 20F + mini C+ cabin turning left.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:09 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Take the nonstop. Little good can come from unnecessarily connecting through JFK in mid-June due to weather. At best, you get D1, lounge access and add a few hours to your trip. At worst, you get stuck at JFK overnight or delayed or rerouted and downgraded with crappy seats. I really wouldn't take a chance on this as you're taking the risk of ending your vacation on a really sour note. Book F on the nonstop and you minimize that risk substantially. And enjoy Alaska. Fantastic place.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:21 am

It seems that DL is dialing back the promised D1 service to JFK already. Now I didn't check every day of the week, but I was looking at flight options for a trip I am planning to NY, and the promised 2 D1 flights a day are already down to 1 and the rest are 739s, from April to end of schedule. Redeyes are 739s. Personally, I would take the D1 detour through JFK, but I am not like most people and I would be very cautious that the flight I get on is actually D1 and not one of the miserable 739s. My biggest concern if I got the luck of a schedule change is ensuring I am NOT on a 739 and have lunch/dinner for meals rather than breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.