Military Priority

Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With no ID checks required, I'm waiting for this to be abused. Compare to ESAs which at least require minimal documentation and cost.
Really.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Last flight I heard “all active duty, former
military, and veterans” so like all DL policies I am sure it’s just up to the GA on what they feel like doing.
Are these categories restricted to the federal military or are state defense forces included?

How about foreign active duty, foreign military, and foreign veterans?

I would have asked the GA to clarify.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Are these categories restricted to the federal military or are state defense forces included?

How about foreign active duty, foreign military, and foreign veterans?

I would have asked the GA to clarify.
The Economist had an interesting article on how "America's love affair with uniformed men ... leads to a lot of fuzzy thinking about the armed forces... Most obviously, it gives the Department of Defense an outsize advantage in the battle for resources with civilian agencies. Today’s cuts to the State Department, whose officers are not noticeably less patriotic or public-spirited than America’s soldiers, are a dismal case in point."
krazykanuck and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I heard "Active duty military in uniform or if not in uniform, please have your military ID out as you board."
Maybe GAs are just making it up as they go along?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?
Active duty is only your status in the armed forces as opposed to reserves (though reservists are frequently activated) and it depends on the individual branch of service for which uniform and where a service member can wear it. For example in the Marines it is generally not permitted to where the camouflage uniform off base (we can't even stop at a gas station on the way home).
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by motytrah
Most military folks I know do not travel in uniform since drinking would be frowned upon.
Having a drink or two in uniform isn’t frowned upon. Becoming intoxicated while in uniform is frowned upon.

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?
We’re generally advised to travel in civilian attire for personal and operational security, though each branch has their own specifics. I seem to see more Army personnel in uniform (both service dress and combat uniforms) than USAF/USN/USMC/USCG. But it’s often recommended to avoid traveling in uniform because you stand out as a more obvious “target” if you’re in uniform. That said, military people can be somewhat easy to spot even when out of uniform, either by haircut or even by their luggage (IIRC, when there was the shooting at FRA where military were targeted, they were identified as military by the bags they had).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 2, 2018 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Why not firefighters? Policepeople? Maybe nurses? Teachers? It's ridiculous. Limit early boarding to those who need the time for disability or maneuvering small kids. It's nothing to do with respect so please don't accuse me of not respecting anyone here.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Just wait...eventually...there will be a complaint of, "a military person boarded before me and took a first class seat! How dare Delta GIVE them an F seat."

Of course, that service member might be an elite too..

And, yes, I've had people assume my military status was what got me an upgrade vice Medallion status.

Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Why not firefighters? Policepeople? Maybe nurses? Teachers? It's ridiculous. Limit early boarding to those who need the time for disability or maneuvering small kids. It's nothing to do with respect so please don't accuse me of not respecting anyone here.
Almost every time the issue of giving privileges to military members comes up, someone brings up the argument of others who serve the public.
Nearly always an endless argument - be it based on entitlement, right, respect, or something else - that ends up locking a thread. .
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Almost every time the issue of giving privileges to military members comes up, someone brings up the argument of others who serve the public.
Nearly always an endless argument - be it based on entitlement, right, respect, or something else - that ends up locking a thread. .
That's because it's true, they do serve the public, and I don't think any of us should fawn over them any more than over you with respect to being prompted to get onto a flying tube in advance of other travelers. Somebody above posted about the fetishizing of the military in the US, which you see all the time and makes me cringe, but it doesn't stop us from being comfortable sending them away to die to get back at some "bad guys" in foreign lands. Boarding a plane has nothing to do with the execution of one's duty whether one is a firefighter or a soldier.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
That's because it's true, they do serve the public, and I don't think any of us should fawn over them any more than over you with respect to being prompted to get onto a flying tube in advance of other travelers. Somebody above posted about the fetishizing of the military in the US, which you see all the time and makes me cringe, but it doesn't stop us from being comfortable sending them away to die to get back at some "bad guys" in foreign lands. Boarding a plane has nothing to do with the execution of one's duty whether one is a firefighter or a soldier.
We also send loggers off to die at higher rates than our military to get us the wood we need to build our houses... but I don't see a priority boarding announcement for them

In all seriousness though, out of all the things to bother someone this is pretty low. Agree that we overly fetishize the military but this is a (basically free) way for Delta to advertise to a significant demographic of the population that gets warm and fuzzies from "supporting our troops" and it probably won't really alienate anyone except for a few folks of FlyerTalk ... I'm not surprised they started doing it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
We also send loggers off to die at higher rates than our military to get us the wood we need to build our houses... but I don't see a priority boarding announcement for them

In all seriousness though, out of all the things to bother someone this is pretty low. Agree that we overly fetishize the military but this is a (basically free) way for Delta to advertise to a significant demographic of the population that gets warm and fuzzies from "supporting our troops" and it probably won't really alienate anyone except for a few folks of FlyerTalk ... I'm not surprised they started doing it.
Yeah I'm not surprised either, and I guess that's what irritates me, just like Delta "raising money" for charity by enlisting its staff as shills to take money from its customers. It's a feel-good thing with no cost to Delta that capitalizes on the patriotic feeling to make themselves look good. When it comes down to it I really don't care who gets on the plane first, but if I were military, I'd be embarrassed to board ahead of my fellow passengers (whom I serve!).
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
When it comes down to it I really don't care who gets on the plane first, but if I were military, I'd be embarrassed to board ahead of my fellow passengers (whom I serve!).
Completely agree, but this benefit isn't targeted to the military, it's for those who want to feel vicariously good for supporting the troops by flying an airline that lets the military board first (although I think United does this as well? Or at least used to?). Whether or not troops actually use the benefit is irrelevant.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm not surprised either, and I guess that's what irritates me, just like Delta "raising money" for charity by enlisting its staff as shills to take money from its customers. It's a feel-good thing with no cost to Delta that capitalizes on the patriotic feeling to make themselves look good. When it comes down to it I really don't care who gets on the plane first, but if I were military, I'd be embarrassed to board ahead of my fellow passengers (whom I serve!).
I'll be sure to board at the first opportunity...and I won't feel embarrassed doing so.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Members of the military are not here to serve you... get over yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.