Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl while in the air?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Question Super Bowl while in the air?

I know there was a thread like this last year. I will be traveling this Sun DTW-NGO and wanted to see if the Super Bowl will be available for viewing while in the air.
I just want to see the commercials
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I know there was a thread like this last year. I will be traveling this Sun DTW-NGO and wanted to see if the Super Bowl will be available for viewing while in the air.
No Super Bowl as no wide bodies have SAT TV.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

There is not live TV on international flights, and streaming is not allowed. You may get lucky and get streaming to connect, but there will most likely not be enough bandwidth to make it watchable. The pilots may announce scores.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I know there was a thread like this last year. I will be traveling this Sun DTW-NGO and wanted to see if the Super Bowl will be available for viewing while in the air. I just want to see the commercials
Isn't that kind of like saying you read Playboy just for the articles
DiverDave likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Isn't that kind of like saying you read Playboy just for the articles
More like you read The New Yorker for the cartoons.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Ask for the pilot to give updates. Like half time and final. FAs might not give the message but who knows.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
There is not live TV on international flights, and streaming is not allowed. You may get lucky and get streaming to connect, but there will most likely not be enough bandwidth to make it watchable.
You could stream just the audio though
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Ask for the pilot to give updates. Like half time and final. FAs might not give the message but who knows.
During the World Series last October, an AS pilot (HNL-SAN) was providing inning-by-inning update; an extra inning affair if I recall correctly.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:05 am

I've streamed audio transpacific before. Worked pretty well.

If you're on a bird that has 2KU Wi-Fi, those support streaming. I did it on the A350 a few weeks ago during the divisional round. Minor buffering but it worked pretty well.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
There is not live TV on international flights, and streaming is not allowed. You may get lucky and get streaming to connect, but there will most likely not be enough bandwidth to make it watchable. The pilots may announce scores.
I think it's more accurate to say streaming is not supported by the crappy wi-fi provided.
Even 2KU hasn't been all that impressive to me when it is available.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Be prepared to have difficulty with the radio streaming...

I was travelling BOS - NRT last year on JAL and had planned several options to try and watch it. The wifi on the plane was routed through a German telecom and as a result most every feed i could find was blocked b/c the NFL restricted the rights outside the US. I was able to find one that worked, but the wifi could not keep up. I'd get 30s of game, then like a minute of buffering. I switched and tried to find audio. I had no problems getting all the pre-game, then as soon as it started, broadcast rights again.

Long story short, i was finally able to get the second half on internet radio by signing up for a free trial on one of the streaming radio apps. Perfect timing to hear my Pats make the most amazing comeback ever. High fiving with my colleague and throwing back beers in J hearing them come back....priceless.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
No Super Bowl as no wide bodies have SAT TV.
That's a relief. Would not want to see the path to the restroom blocked by somebody kneeling in the aisle.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Assuming you are speaking of DL flights, given we are in a DL thread....but you made a blanked statement of no live TV on international flights. That is not true. AA has live TV on international flights. I've actually been lucky enough to catch several NFL playoff games on their Live 24/7 sports channel. I stumbled upon it a couple years ago on my way to NRT. Then recently on my way to LHR it was on again. (which I was hoping for).
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
I think it's more accurate to say streaming is not supported by the crappy wi-fi provided.
Even 2KU hasn't been all that impressive to me when it is available.

Actually, it's accurate to say that it is not allowed. Streaming is permitted for 2KU, but for ground to air original gogo technology, streaming videos is a violation of the TOS:

USERS OF THE SERVICE ON AIR-TO-GROUND-EQUIPPED AIRCRAFT: The Service on air-to-ground-equipped aircraft is primarily designed for web browsing, internet messaging, email, and corporate Virtual Private Network access. Gogo sets limitations on your use of the Service on air-to-ground-equipped flights for certain content, applications, and services to ensure the best performance for the most users. Specifically, the Service on air-to-ground-equipped flights does not support video downloads, in-flight file transfers, streaming media (audio or video), downloads of long-form media, gaming and other activities that reflect similar capacity usage or transmission patterns. As a result, these activities may not be conducted on the Service on air-to-ground-equipped flights and may be restricted at any time to optimize network performance. Nor may the Service on air-to-ground-equipped flights be used to download movies from peer-to-peer file sharing services, redirect television programs for viewing on personal computers, for web broadcasting, or to operate a server or telemetry device, any of which may be restricted at any time to optimize network performance.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I will find out tomorrow. Not really a football fan, but just wanted to see if it was possible. Got to find something to do in the 13+ hrs flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.