FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2017 Diamond Choices due today: 25k miles or $200? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1891491-2017-diamond-choices-due-today-25k-miles-200-a.html)

flyerUSA Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am

2017 Diamond Choices due today: 25k miles or $200?

1st choice, upgrades, obviously.

2nd choice...25000 miles or $200 voucher...Which is more valuable? Stumped.

xliioper Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

If you have a Delta Amex card (except for the Blue one), you can use those 25,000 miles towards a $250 credit on a DL ticket with Pay-with-Miles. So most would suggest the 25K miles are more valuable. Note that PWM can only be used on all DL metal itins, while the credit can be used on any 006 ticket and is not metal specific. Both tickets will earn full MQM's, but the PWM miles ticket earns no RDM/MQD on the portion paid with miles, while the portion paid with the credit will still earn RDM/MQD's.

flyerUSA Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29362246)
If you have a Delta Amex card (except for the Blue one), you can use those 25,000 miles towards a $250 credit on a DL ticket with Pay-with-Miles. So most would suggest the 25K miles are more valuable. Note that PWM can only be used on all DL metal itins, while the credit can be used on any 006 ticket and is not metal specific. Both tickets will earn full MQM's, but the PWM miles ticket earns no RDM/MQD on the portion paid with miles, while the portion paid with the credit will still earn RDM/MQD's.

LBJ thanks for reminders on these details. You are a master! Thank you.

kitkat77 Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm

Also, the credit has an expiration date and the miles do not.

davetravels Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Oops. :)

MCO Flyer Jan 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Take the miles. The credit as stated above has an expiration date and the miles do not and they are probably worth about the same.

flyerUSA Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29363964)
Take the miles. The credit as stated above has an expiration date and the miles do not and they are probably worth about the same.

Let's say....you have a way to extend the credit's expiration date. Still prefer miles?

apodo77 Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by marcworld (Post 29364023)
Let's say....you have a way to extend the credit's expiration date. Still prefer miles?

As long as you have DL AMEX yes. It is worth $250 with the pay with miles option.

MCO Flyer Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by marcworld (Post 29364023)

I would still take the miles, there are actually instances where the miles could be worth more than $200. I am seeing 25K RT Y award travel on MCO-SEA where the regular fare is $400 RT. The only downside to taking the miles are that you wouldn't earn any MQMs/MQMs/etc but I still find the miles more valuable.

MCO Flyer Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29362246)

I actually never knew this, although I have not yet used PWM yet, will have to try it out sometime.

flyerUSA Jan 31, 2018 5:59 pm

Well it's done, I chose the miles. I think Pay With Miles is not worth it but there are some flights where 25000 miles can get me upgraded in a way that $200 can't. So agonizing.

kitkat77 Feb 1, 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by marcworld (Post 29364379)
Well it's done, I chose the miles. I think Pay With Miles is not worth it but there are some flights where 25000 miles can get me upgraded in a way that $200 can't. So agonizing.

PWM is worth it in certain circumstances. I have used PWM when I want the MQMs, or occasionally when I need a certain day/schedule/flight and the award ticket price is WAY higher than the cash price (usually FC cabin for this). It also can cover the taxes/fees for certain international flights that have high taxes. I usually compare the different options and choose the cheapest out of pocket of them. Also, now that they allow global and regional certificate upgrades on PWM tickets, it has become a lot more valuable to me.

Also as stated above, 25K = $250 which is obviously greater than $200. $200 in fare only earns 2200 RDMs so you still come out ahead with 2800 extra RDMs. The expiration date is also a factor.

The only way that I can see in which $200 credit is worth it (as a DM benefit) is the MQDs, or if you are in a position where you get reimbursed for your airfare and the company basically refunds your credit in cash.

MSPeconomist Feb 1, 2018 9:48 am

I use PWM when I'm going to be reimbursed but policy is that only a coach fare is covered. Using miles for the difference to upfare to G A P has the advantage of documenting the price of my coach ticket in a way that shouldn't be confusing.

I always take 25,000 RDMs rather than the $200 voucher, but sometimes I've chosen the $200 voucher (to be used immediately for a leisure trip) rather than 20,000 RDMs as the PM choice benefit when I'm sitting on lots of miles and am concerned about meeting MQM/MQD requirements for the coming year.