Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any advantage to use miles while Platinum level status for international flight?

Any advantage to use miles while Platinum level status for international flight?

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Does Delta status come into play at all when taking an international flight (US to China) when the flight was purchased with Delta miles? (Any persk or possible upgrades?) I have platinum status through 2018 but will lose that for 2019. Should I try to fit the trip in this year while still platinum status? The flights will be purchased with Delta miles.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Will you still be at least Gold in 2019?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

If my current work assignment remains then I will only fly Delta 3 or 4 times this year, I assume I lose all status for 2019?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I assume you're contmplating a trip in Coach???

If you're Gold or higher, you'll maintain SkyTeam Elite Plus status which allows you entrance to the SkyTeam lounges during your days of travel in Coach. If you're flying in Delta One / business class, it doesn't matter, because you'll get lounge access anyway.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Correct. My miles will only cover a coach fare. Lounge access would be a plus. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Also, as a Platinum, you'll be higher for upgrades on any domestic flights in your itinerary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
As a Platinum you’ll have the waived award-redeposit fee on tickets booked with miles up until you drop below PM so if you need to change or cancel or find a better flight option than what you initially booked, you can changs or cancel without penalty. One of the better perks of DL PM (and DM) status.
davetravels and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
If flying Delta as Platnium you will also get upgraded to Comfort + seats at booking if available.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DavidGoble
Does Delta status come into play at all when taking an international flight (US to China) when the flight was purchased with Delta miles? (Any persk or possible upgrades?) I have platinum status through 2018 but will lose that for 2019. Should I try to fit the trip in this year while still platinum status? The flights will be purchased with Delta miles.
The only real benefit for a platinum member traveling on an award ticket is the ability to get a free upgrade to C+ (and the ability to select preferred seats in coach, such as exit row, unless or until the C+ upgrade clears), and the ability to cancel and redeposit the miles without charge if you need to cancel/change the trip. And of course your Sky Priority status will give you priority check-in and boarding and lounge access, though you'd get that at the gold medallion level too. You won't get an upgrade to D1 or any special in-flight perks or anything like that.

Originally Posted by DavidGoble
If my current work assignment remains then I will only fly Delta 3 or 4 times this year, I assume I lose all status for 2019?
It depends. If those 3 or 4 flights are international long haul flights, you could very possible accrue the MQM's needed for at least silver medallion status, depending on the price you pay (MQD's) and/or if you are have the Delta amex and can meet the spend waiver. Fly D1 on those flights at the class of service MQM bonus could even bump you to gold medallion level. That said, if those 3 or 4 flights are round trip domestic flights then no, you almost certainly won't earn status for 2019.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Make sure you redeposit award tickets at least 72 hours in advance and redeposit any tickets before you lose your platinum status.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ncwillett
The only real benefit for a platinum member traveling on an award ticket is the ability to get a free upgrade to C+ (and the ability to select preferred seats in coach, such as exit row, unless or until the C+ upgrade clears), and the ability to cancel and redeposit the miles without charge if you need to cancel/change the trip. And of course your Sky Priority status will give you priority check-in and boarding and lounge access, though you'd get that at the gold medallion level too. You won't get an upgrade to D1 or any special in-flight perks or anything like that.

It depends. If those 3 or 4 flights are international long haul flights, you could very possible accrue the MQM's needed for at least silver medallion status, depending on the price you pay (MQD's) and/or if you are have the Delta amex and can meet the spend waiver. Fly D1 on those flights at the class of service MQM bonus could even bump you to gold medallion level. That said, if those 3 or 4 flights are round trip domestic flights then no, you almost certainly won't earn status for 2019.
It depends also on how much rollover the OP has this year (from flying more than 75,000 MQMs last year, according to his/her FF account including any rollover from the previous year and AmEx MQMs).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.