Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More AF/KL seat-picking woes - but this one is new to me...

Old Jan 28, 18, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

So I've been doing these routes for years and I know the drill, and I know the usual problems and solutions, but I've never seen this.

I'm in Paris and found an AF ticket on KL metal all the way BRU-AMS-JFK/JFK-AMS-CDG-ZYR for under $500.
Woo Hoo, right? (I actually wanted that last stop in AMS to have lunch with a friend and had to force it, but all legal connections.)
So I go to KLM.com with the AF PNR, put in my SM# and it recognizes me as Flying Blue Platinum - all normal so far.

First flight - BRU-Allows me Seat Plus -I score an exit row.
Both TATLS shows Eco, More Space and Seat Plus as free of charge but completely sold out.
AMS-CDG again, allows me seatplus/exit row.

Ok, I guess... last minute booking, whaddyagonnado, right?

But then I get an idea and go do a dummy booking, and there are loads of good seats available.

Has anyone seen this before? It's odd to me that this is such a weird way to withhold seats - lie about them being sold out?
Is this a glitch? Some kind of policy thing?

KLM twitter hasn't answered me after 2 days. AF Web support says they can't do anything. KL central is doing the "30+minute hold time please call back - goodbye."

It's actually a pretty wide open flight and worst case I'll end up in the back with an empty seat or 3 next to me, but I'm just surprised by it and wondering what gives.
On a full, summertime flight on these atrocious 10-across 77s it would make a huge difference and I would choose a different flight.

I do have to admit that this was a doozy of a ticket I put together after plans changed and I had to scramble to find a decent price ticket to get home after I can't get on my original flight..
I'm a little scared about what fare class this books into but it looks like L and V - super discounted, but still 25% miles and 100% MQM earning fare classes.
(FWIW - I bought this from Amex travel because I wanted to 24 cancel window and I'm not on speaking terms with Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz.)

thanks.

R
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GLD
I'm having the same problem. Just booked an all-KL marketed itinerary with one AF segment. I picked the KL seats without a problem, but the AF seats (CDG-JFK) show all decent econ seats as free but "sold out" on the KL and AF web sites. I confirmed by test booking that they are in fact available. AF Twitter was of no use.
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM
If you call Delta, they can usually get you into the seats available that you qualify for based on DL status (They have to call AF/KL to do it, but I haven't had this fail yet).
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
If you call Delta, they can usually get you into the seats available that you qualify for based on DL status (They have to call AF/KL to do it, but I haven't had this fail yet).
Thanks. Does this apply even to a KL-issued (not 006) ticket?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: