Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International connections at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

International connections at JFK

Will be making a connection at JFK from MXP-JFK-MSP. I know some airports have a new system where you don't see your bags at customs aside from a photo on a screen, is JFK up to speed on that? Our will I have to collect and drop my bags?

This is all on Delta, anyone know if it's likely to be all in the same terminal or if I'll have to change terminals

Also, if I pick up duty free at MXP and it's in a sealed duty free bag will the TSA accept that or make me check it?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
As far as I know (was at JFK last Friday), you'll still have to collect and drop off. Am pretty sure you'll have to check any larger liquids.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:41 am

If your MXP-JFK is on DL (and not operated by AZ), then you will arrive T4. JFK-MSP could be T4 or T2. Generally your flight number is a good indicator. 4xxx flights leave from T4; 2xxx flights leave from T2.

You can re-enter security at T4 just after exiting customs. No need to go back upstairs to Departures/regular security.

If you do leave from T2, you can walk or take the landside Air Train, but I would re-enter security at T4 and take the airside Delta Jitney bus from T4 to T2. It leaves from the B18-ish area of T4.

As for your duty free. I can't imagine that TSA would allow liquids otherwise prohibited simply because an employee (and maybe a contract employee, to boot) in a foreign airport over which TSA has no control or oversight, by seal, says "yeah, this is ok." (TSA doesn't accept a security screening at a foreign airport, and requires re-screening for onward US travel. So if foreign security screening isn't sufficient, the actions of non-security personnel won't be sufficient). Plan on checking it.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
You will definitely need to move your liquids into your checked luggage.

If departing T2, another option is just to walk outside from T4 to T2. It's not that long of a walk.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Expect to check your duty free (ie stuff it into the bags you'll have to claim). Is this all on one ticket or two?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So it turns out I was wrong and this is in fact operated by Alitalia. Doh.

So what's the best way to get from whatever terminal that means to T2 or T4?

Fwiw, it's not true that the TSA doesn't accept foreign security screenings. Ireland and Canada both have security screening to US regulations just fine. There's not much point in doing it anywhere else as long as most airports don't have the new customs process.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by zkzkz
So it turns out I was wrong and this is in fact operated by Alitalia. Doh.

So what's the best way to get from whatever terminal that means to T2 or T4?
Alitalia arrives T1. You can recheck your bag there with DL and then proceed to your terminal. For T2, the easiest option is to walk. Go out the right side of the terminal and follow the signs. For T4, take the AirTrain from the upper level.

I'm surprised more FT'ers don't know about the TSA inbound duty free liquids rule. This comes up every now and then, but has been in place for a few years:

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.

Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
You can re-enter security at T4 just after exiting customs. No need to go back upstairs to Departures/regular security.

As for your duty free. I can't imagine that TSA would allow liquids otherwise prohibited simply because an employee (and maybe a contract employee, to boot) in a foreign airport over which TSA has no control or oversight, by seal, says "yeah, this is ok." (TSA doesn't accept a security screening at a foreign airport, and requires re-screening for onward US travel. So if foreign security screening isn't sufficient, the actions of non-security personnel won't be sufficient). Plan on checking it.
As for the first, maybe. That checkpoint closes early. About 75% of the time I have to go upstairs to the main TSA checkpoint. That at least has full PreCheck while the downstairs one has "PreCheck lite" -- in that you can leave your shoes on.

As for the second, the reason you have to clear security again doesn't have anything (well, much) to do with the foreign airport's security, it is because you have had access to your checked bags. You could have removed something not allowed in the cabin (like a knife) so you have to be checked again.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Similar question here. We will be flying DUB-JFK-YYZ on a single Delta ticket. DUB-JFK is on Delta #45 and JFK-YYZ is Delta connection Endeavor #4020 . Time between the two flights is a little over an hour. Is that sufficient time? Delta is selling the ticket, so they think so. On the JFK-YYZ leg do you go through Canadian customs in JFK or YYZ? I seem to recall (years ago) some flights from Canada to the U.S. you clear U.S. customs in Canada and arrive as a domestic flight.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by boatnfish
On the JFK-YYZ leg do you go through Canadian customs in JFK or YYZ? I seem to recall (years ago) some flights from Canada to the U.S. you clear U.S. customs in Canada and arrive as a domestic flight..
You'll clear Canadian customs in YYZ. Canada has the right to open immigration and customs stations at US airports under the same agreement that allows the US to do so at Canadian airports. Canada however, has not yet chosen to exercise that right.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
You'll clear Canadian customs in YYZ. Canada has the right to open immigration and customs stations at US airports under the same agreement that allows the US to do so at Canadian airports. Canada however, has not yet chosen to exercise that right.
Thank you
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Similar question here. We will be flying DUB-JFK-YYZ on a single Delta ticket. DUB-JFK is on Delta #45 and JFK-YYZ is Delta connection Endeavor #4020 . Time between the two flights is a little over an hour. Is that sufficient time? Delta is selling the ticket, so they think so. On the JFK-YYZ leg do you go through Canadian customs in JFK or YYZ? I seem to recall (years ago) some flights from Canada to the U.S. you clear U.S. customs in Canada and arrive as a domestic flight.

Thanks in advance.
You will clear US customs/immigration in Dublin, make sure you arrive at DUB with enough time to go through the customs and immigration process there. Your flight will arrive at JFK just like any other domestic arrival. No TSA or Customs required once at JFK.

You will clear Canadian customs and Immigration in YYZ.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
You will clear US customs/immigration in Dublin, make sure you arrive at DUB with enough time to go through the customs and immigration process there. Your flight will arrive at JFK just like any other domestic arrival. No TSA or Customs required once at JFK.

You will clear Canadian customs and Immigration in YYZ.
Wow, that is news to me. Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Wow, that is news to me. Thanks for the information.
Here is some info on the preclearance program: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1640/~/cbp-preclearance

And a site to look at historical processing times by airport to give you an idea of when to arrive at DUB: https://pqt.cbp.gov
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Here is some info on the preclearance program: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...p-preclearance

And a site to look at historical processing times by airport to give you an idea of when to arrive at DUB: https://pqt.cbp.gov

More great information, thanks so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.