Last Minute One Way Award

Old Jan 25, 18, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Last Minute One Way Award

Hello FT,

I was scoping out last minute award ticket prices on United and Delta and while United had several available for 10k, Delta was charging 35k for the same route - even with very empty planes.

Any chance I could call in and ask for a low level award ticket to be released? Not even sure what "low level" is anymore these days without award charts (is there better terminology I could use?) but I would prefer to fly Delta since the flying time is more continent.

I am hoping the "better than an empty seat" argument has some merit but is it a lost cause?

TYIA
Old Jan 25, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Price is the price. You can see if adding a RT might decrease the fare... some have reported success there.
Old Jan 25, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
I wouldn’t waste the time, but go ahead and report back. RM is in charge of inventory and front line
agents are not going to be able to get mileage awards lowered.

Old Jan 25, 18, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
I wouldn’t waste the time, but go ahead and report back. RM is in charge of inventory and front line
agents are not going to be able to get mileage awards lowered.

Yea, figured it would require a supervisor either way
Old Jan 25, 18, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Price is the price. You can see if adding a RT might decrease the fare... some have reported success there.
Ah bummer, I had luck before calling to get low awards but that was several years ago. I wish you could just cheaply fly standby again like the good ol days!
Old Jan 25, 18, 7:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
United also charges a $80 close in booking fee for non-elites (not sure if the credit card waives the fee) so it's not an exact comparison between the two.
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Availability is only part of the question. The fare rules they have started filing award tickets ensure the price progressively starts to increase starting 21 days out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: