Companion upgrade for one segment

Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Companion upgrade for one segment

If you are Platinum can you link your reservations with companion with no status traveling on single segment to different final destination to request C+ upgrade for companion. Example one person is going BOS-ATL, other is going Bos-Atl-MCO. Looking to find out if you can request the upgrade for companion on the single leg going Bos-Atl.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Not for C+ but you could request upgrades for F.

• If you and one companion are in the same reservation, upgrades to domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work the same way: your upgrades, if available, will clear based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member. This applies to companions who are Medallion Members themselves as well as General Members who do not have Medallion Status and partner airline elite members. For example, if a Diamond Medallion Member and General Member are traveling together, both upgrades will clear at the Diamond window, if available.
  • If you and your companion are in different reservations, upgrades to First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
    • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to departure.
    • For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#companion
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I think I tried this once (two leaving from the same airport but with different connections) and was told no.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not believe the above text is current and that non-status companions on separate reservations can now be added to both F and C+ upgrade lists as long as they are on revenue (non BE) tickets (although, as noted above, they may need to be on the same itinerary). Also, while DL has added the ability for non-status companions on award/PWM/Companion certs on the same res to be upgrade eligible (at Medallion's status level), it seems that those companions are still ineligible for upgrades when booked via those means on a separate reservation (although companion certs already require you be on the same res). Unfortunately, it looks like DL neglected to update the above text block to reflect the recent changes. Also, there's no benefit that I can see in adding someone with status on separate reservation as a companion since they are upgraded separately at their own window anyway (unless I'm missing something).

Note the following text in the News release from April 6th and the "same reservation" requirement --

"Now traveling with your companion is even better. Starting April 6, 2017, companions traveling with Medallion Members will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades not only on paid tickets but Award Tickets, Miles + Cash tickets, and Pay with Miles tickets. Companions traveling with a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Member on a SkyMiles Companion Certificate will also be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades.

Here’s what Medallion Members need to know:

A Medallion Member and a traveling companion may both enjoy a Complimentary Upgrade to First Class, Business Class or Delta Comfort+ when traveling on Delta and Delta Connection carriers, as long as that companion is a General SkyMiles Member or a Medallion Member in the same reservation."

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I do not believe the above text is current and that non-status companions on separate reservations can now be added to both F and C+ upgrade lists as long as they are on revenue (non BE) tickets (although, as noted above, they may need to be on the same itinerary). Also, while DL has added the ability for non-status companions on award/PWM/Companion certs on the same res to be upgrade eligible (at Medallion's status level), it seems that those companions are still ineligible for upgrades when booked via those means on a separate reservation (although companion certs already require you be on the same res). Unfortunately, it looks like DL neglected to update the above text block to reflect the recent changes. Also, there's no benefit that I can see in adding someone with status on separate reservation as a companion since they are upgraded separately at their own window anyway (unless I'm missing something).

Note the following text in the News release from April 6th and the "same reservation" requirement --

"Now traveling with your companion is even better. Starting April 6, 2017, companions traveling with Medallion Members will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades not only on paid tickets but Award Tickets, Miles + Cash tickets, and Pay with Miles tickets. Companions traveling with a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Member on a SkyMiles Companion Certificate will also be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades.

Here’s what Medallion Members need to know:

A Medallion Member and a traveling companion may both enjoy a Complimentary Upgrade to First Class, Business Class or Delta Comfort+ when traveling on Delta and Delta Connection carriers, as long as that companion is a General SkyMiles Member or a Medallion Member in the same reservation."
In the OP's case, there must be different reservations because the OP and companion are flying different routes. The question is about upgrading the companion on only the segment that the two routings have in common.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the OP's case, there must be different reservations because the OP and companion are flying different routes. The question is about upgrading the companion on only the segment that the two routings have in common.
I seem to recall success in doing that a number of years ago. But perhaps it was the complete outbound vs. just one segment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.