FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Dl 101, atl-eze (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1890152-dl-101-atl-eze.html)

drraj Jan 24, 2018 6:05 am

Dl 101, atl-eze

Does anyone have any information on DL 101? FlightStats and Delta.com show the flight was redirected and diverted. This is for the 1/23/18 departure. The flight path shows a big 90 degree left turn over South America and then a diagonal path to approximate the original path .

mizzou miles Jan 24, 2018 6:26 am

crazy flight pattern and then landing at MVD

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...220Z/KATL/SUMU

PV_Premier Jan 24, 2018 7:37 am

pure speculation - very quick drop in altitude suggestive of a de-pressurization event. from 39,000->16,000 in 11 minutes. the hard left may have been while a diversion decision was being made between the airports in Brazil vs. other options.

Ledfish Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 29333207)
pure speculation - very quick drop in altitude suggestive of a de-pressurization event. from 39,000->16,000 in 11 minutes. the hard left may have been while a diversion decision was being made between the airports in Brazil vs. other options.

But if you look at other approaches into EZE, it looks like they drop pretty quickly on a regular basis.

davetravels Jan 24, 2018 8:52 am

I'll be on that flight in March. I've been wondering . . . .

If it's scheduled to arrive at 9AM, and leave 11 hours later at 8PM, I assume that the plane sits there all day and the return is the same crew on DL110. Is that true?

If so, it just arrived at EZE at 12:37 PM, and is still scheduled to leave on time tonight at 9:15 PM.

Is that enough time for crew rest, or, is there another crew there from yesterday?

tubesoxs Jan 24, 2018 9:12 am

But they flew directly over Buenos Aires. I wonder if something was happening at the airport?

Eastbay1K Jan 24, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29333539)

If it's scheduled to arrive at 9AM, and leave 11 hours later at 8PM, I assume that the plane sits there all day and the return is the same crew on DL110. Is that true?

If so, it just arrived at EZE at 12:37 PM, and is still scheduled to leave on time tonight at 9:15 PM.

Is that enough time for crew rest, or, is there another crew there from yesterday?

The plane sits all day. You'll see one or two UA, two AA, and a DL plane out on the field @ EZE if you are there mid-day.
Different crew. They don't 'take the same plane home.

orca15 Jan 24, 2018 9:22 am

16K' is pretty high for a depressurized cabin, well above the standard.

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29333539)

Yes, the plane sits at EZE all day, so you can see whether or not DL has an aircraft for your flight pretty easily.

You'll have different crew. They overnight in Buenos Aires to meet mandatory rest requirements. I've also seen an extra pilot on board.

Not surprisingly, most of the cabin crew speak Spanish and most of the ones I've talked with seem to do this route on a regular basis. Don't be surprised if they appear to have less seniority that the TATL crews you usually see.

Have fun in Argentina and eat lots of good dead cow.

PV_Premier Jan 24, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tubesoxs (Post 29333632)
But they flew directly over Buenos Aires.

That is true. Beats me.

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 2018 9:29 am

BTW, MVD is served by AF/KLM and (in comparison to Brazil) could have the advantage in IROPs of not requiring USA citizens to have visas (in the event that whatever mechanical problem requires an overnight delay). So it's a sensible diversion airport.

davetravels Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29333692)
Not surprisingly, most of the cabin crew speak Spanish and most of the ones I've talked with seem to do this route on a regular basis.

Have fun in Argentina and eat lots of good dead cow.

Muchas gracias por tu respuesta. Espero comer mucho carne de vaca <muerto ;)> . . . adentro de empanadas, y mas! :D

Estoy planeando un dia en Iguazu, pero es muy caro, y un dia en Montevideo. El Buquebus Francisco <nombre del Papa> catamaran es muy rapido, y se ve muy chido <looks very cool!>! :D

http://delacontecerportuario.files.w...13430313_n.jpg

http://estilojoseignacio.com/wp-cont...204_121901.jpg
Sorry to semi-hijack the thread! :)

drraj Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

I found out the issue from my friend who was on the plane, hence my interest in the flight. Apparently they hit a lot of headwinds on the way down to EZE and were given an alternate route by ATC. As they approached EZE ATC then further delayed the landing time due to traffic at EZE. Given the lack of fuel by that time they diverted to MVD to refuel and wait it out prior to continuing to Buenos Aires. I’m still curious as to the flight path and the rapid drop in altitude and whether something else was actually going on en route but haven’t had a chance to ask. No other flights seemed to be affected en route along similar flight paths. Thankfully, DL 101 made it to EZE safely and that is what matters in the end.

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29333864)
Muchas gracias por tu respuesta. Espero comer mucho carne de vaca <muerto ;)> . . . adentro de empanadas, y mas! :D

Estoy planeando un dia en Iguazu, pero es muy caro, y un dia en Montevideo. El Buquebus Francisco <nombre del Papa> catamaran es muy rapido, y se ve muy chido <looks very cool!>! :D

http://delacontecerportuario.files.w...13430313_n.jpg

http://estilojoseignacio.com/wp-cont...204_121901.jpg
Sorry to semi-hijack the thread! :)

I've done the Buquebus hydrofoil trip to Colonia, as a day trip and without the buffet on board. I've also been to the Falls, in fact on both sides of the border.

If you like dead cow and wine (primarily Malbec), come to COW DO!

davetravels Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29335436)
I've done the Buquebus hydrofoil trip to Colonia, as a day trip and without the buffet on board. I've also been to the Falls, in fact on both sides of the border.

If you like dead cow and wine (primarily Malbec), come to COW DO!

The Buquebus Francisco catamaran is relatively new; 2013. It's very different from the ships that go to Colonia. Here's an article about it:

Meet Francisco: The fastest ferry on the planet with jet engines that propel over 1000 passengers and 150 cars at 67 MPH Daily Mail Online

The article is titled:

"The Concorde of the seas: The fastest ferry on the planet with jet engines that propel over 1000 passengers and 150 cars at 67 MPH"

It just looks like a very cool thing to do. I might take the ferry over, and Aerolineas Argentinas back the same evening, just to get back to Buenos Aires a little early. I'm not too sure how much there is to do in MVD, but, I'm sure I can keep busy shopping and eating, etc, for 7 or 8 hours. :)

That said, I have heard something about a COW DO, but, I don't remember much else about it. If it's in BUE, I doubt I'll be able to go again. My trip is there from Mar 23-30. I do know that their beef is supposed to be special, somehow, and I've heard about Malbec. :)