Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Amount of E Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Crazy Amount of E Fares?

Not sure if anyone has access to a DL Terminal that might have more information, but I originally booked a TPA-BOS ticket ~6 months ago departing on 2/24. I now have 2 other people that want to join us on the trip but Delta is only showing a $623 B fare on the 7:25 PM non-stop. $600+ for a Florida-Northeast flight understandably stopped me in my tracks, but what's particularly odd is most of the seat map is empty. I know the seat map is not indicative of bookings, but maybe a ton of people are simply booking e fares on this flight? Really odd why all the flights on this Saturday and Sunday (2/24 + 2/25) are super expensive, maybe a glitch leftover from schedule change Saturday....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
Not sure if anyone has access to a DL Terminal that might have more information, but I originally booked a TPA-BOS ticket ~6 months ago departing on 2/24. I now have 2 other people that want to join us on the trip but Delta is only showing a $623 B fare on the 7:25 PM non-stop. $600+ for a Florida-Northeast flight understandably stopped me in my tracks, but what's particularly odd is most of the seat map is empty. I know the seat map is not indicative of bookings, but maybe a ton of people are simply booking e fares on this flight? Really odd why all the flights on this Saturday and Sunday (2/24 + 2/25) are super expensive, maybe a glitch leftover from schedule change Saturday....
2/24 and 2/25 is the final weekend of school break for those escpaing cold weather with school age children so Delta knows that they have a captive market without much flexibility
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
.... final weekend of school break....
Try booking MSP-MCO during “MEA” four day weekend in October when all the Minnesota kids are on a school break.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:43 am

They haven't moved where Florida is or when spring starts...That's also the first week of MLB Spring Training games.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
2/24 and 2/25 is the final weekend of school break for those escpaing cold weather with school age children so Delta knows that they have a captive market without much flexibility
Sure, but I would argue there aren't *that* many families who are planning to go to Florida for President's Week have yet to make their plans, less than a month out. I think it probably is a mix of more basic economy fares as well as the airline being overly greedy. That said a small handful of years ago I was looking to go down to FLL area for a New Year's cruise -- the seat maps were relatively empty 1-2 months in advance and prices were ~$700 (this was largely on JetBlue). I figured prices had to come down. Well, lo and behold as the days/weeks went by the seat map slowly filled up and fares ticked even higher. Ended up paying close to $900. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you have data ---- and you do not ---- DL's RM/IM software is considered the top of the line. If DL is able to sell a ticket for $600, why sell it for $300? If people do not pay the $600, there will be space and DL will open cheaper buckets.

The proof will be in what happens. If you see the prices drop to $300, you will have been correct. If they jump to $900 or disappear entirely, you will have been wrong.
bubbashow likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kop84
They haven't moved where Florida is or when spring starts...That's also the first week of MLB Spring Training games.
That was my thought. The Red Sox play in Fort Myers though (at Jet Blue field).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The post upthread already hit it. The week of President's day is a big week for winter school breaks in northeast and midwest and lots of people want to return from their Florida break on a weekend. We are still a month out and I'm sure there's a good number of folks who have yet to buy tickets. LAS has a similar demand profile. Ever notice that Southwest has the following exclusion in their fare sales?
"Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays. "

Let's look at LAS-BOS fares for 2/24 and 2/25. Notice something similar?

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Title should be updated here. E fare now specifically implies Basic Economy fare. It appears OP is talking about regular Y fares that are mostly sold out and therefore only available in the high "B" bucket as opposed to extremely expensive Basic Economy fares.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
This is all making sense, thanks everyone. Was particularly odd since the flight down on the Wednesday was super-cheap but now makes sense.

Title should be updated here. E fare now specifically implies Basic Economy fare. It appears OP is talking about regular Y fares that are mostly sold out and therefore only available in the high "B" bucket as opposed to extremely expensive Basic Economy fares.
I listed the title as such because I was asking if E fares (without a seat assignment) where skewing the seatmap significantly, making it look like the plane is empty but indeed it did warrant a $600+ B fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.