Connecting from AirNZ to Delta at LAX

Old Jan 19, 18, 8:23 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Connecting from AirNZ to Delta at LAX

Hello, I am traveling to NZ for 2 weeks in early April. I bought the ticket from LAX to AKL despite being in Atlanta because it was easy to find a cheap positioning flight. However I have one question for the return. I arrive from AKL at 12:45 pm and depart on Delta at 3:30 pm. I know that is enough time to make a connection (I hope). The bag I am taking can be checked or carried on. If I were to check it, can AirNZ check it all the way to Atlanta on Delta? Or will I have to claim it and then recheck it in Terminal 3 with Delta? It makes no difference (I don't mind if I have to carry on) especially it it saves me time. I've never had an international arrival at LAX so am I crazy?
Old Jan 19, 18, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
You always have to reclaim your bag when returning from an international flight to the US, even if it's on the same ticket. You'll have to do that here.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:17 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
You always have to reclaim your bag when returning from an international flight to the US, even if it's on the same ticket. You'll have to do that here.
I know that. Will I be able to recheck it on my Delta flight at TBIT or will I have to take it to Terminal 3?
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
I doubt NZ will tag your bag to ATL, and even if they did, you still have to pick it up at LAX. At that point I'd rather have DL tag the bag and have it in their system, than try and recheck it with a NZ tag and hope DL can figure it out.

I know you can drop off through-checked bags at TBIT, but I do not believe DL has a desk for tagging bags if they aren't already tagged. So the likely scenario is you have to walk.

I always just walk to the next terminal. IMO that is a much simpler and more reliable way, especially if you are on separate tickets. And especially since you said your bag is small. You gotta walk anyway, just walk with it.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 19, 18 at 9:30 pm
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
I would carry on. You never know when things are going to go sideways. If something happened (e.g., bag doesn't make plane from NZ for some reason) I believe NZ is only responsible for getting the bag to LAX not for getting it all the way to ATL since it's a separate ticket.

If it's the same to you either way you should carry on - always better to have the bag in your possession the whole time when on separate tickets.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:47 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thank you all for your answers! I think I will carry on. The plane arrives around 12:45, is that during a big rush?
Old Jan 19, 18, 10:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
I've landed around 11:30a a couple times and it is pretty quiet. Not sure if it stays that way, but I feel like the rush is in the morning. Of course some times in the slow periods they have fewer staff and things still go slowly...
Old Jan 19, 18, 10:36 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Ive usually found the NZ arrivals TEND..(TEND!) to be during quieter periods....