Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy - Trip Report HPN/ATL/HPN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I purchased a Delta Basic Economy ticket HPN/ATL (White Plains/Atlanta). I was going to Atlanta on a business trip; and wouldn’t be checking a bag, so the money saved was worthwhile. Since the flights were Regional jets CRJ-900, the worst seat I could get would be the last row in coach. This jet is aisle/window, so no middle seat to gamble on.

Since this was a regional jet, they bag checked anything that was bigger than normal. The boarding process appeared ‘normal’. Since I have the Delta credit card, I boarded in Zone 1, before the other zones, but after first class and Medallion members. If they were stopping people with larger carryons, I didn’t see it. The gate announced that you could bring on a purse/briefcase and 1 carryon.

I was checking the seat map from 10 days out to the day before departure on both legs. Economy showed 1 seat left in the back, with several Comfort Plus seats (shown in blue on the seat map). Hmmm. Would I get lucky? I did online check in when I received the e mail from Delta at the 24 hour mark. When I arrived at the gate, I was handed 20B, the last row in coach! Gasp. No recline. Based on the experience outbound, I waited until I got to the airport to check in for my return flight. Would I get a better seat? There were no seats left in coach 2 days before the flight. I’m wondering out loud if Delta blocks seats for those that don’t get an assigned seat. At the gate, I told the agent I was in 20B on the outbound, and if possible, could I get another row for the return. He handed my 19C. Oh well. So much for waiting for the last minute to check in to get a better seat. A few minutes later, I walked back to the agent to ask how seats were assigned for Basic Economy. He told me the other gate agent assigned the seats when the gate opened for check in. He made it sound like there was no rhyme or reason to the assignments.

It was an interesting experiment to see what seat I ended up in. Both flights were full. A bit of good news… on the outbound, just prior to the doors closing, the agent boarded and was heading directly to the rear of the plane. As a frequent flyer, I’ve seen this happen before. There were 2 Comfort Plus seats available in row 6, so 20a and 20b (me) were asked to move up for weights and balances.

I’m not sure if I would buy a Basic Economy seat in the future, especially on a mainline jet. The idea of sitting in a middle seat all the way in the back isn’t worth it.

Dan
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basic Economy fares on DL do not prohibit carry-on luggage in the overhead bins (you seem to be confusing it with UA/AA BE ruies).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by LBJ
Basic Economy fares on DL do not prohibit carry-on luggage in the overhead bins (you seem to be confusing it with UA/AA BE rules).
As limited carry-ons has proven to expedite boarding with UA & AA and pretty much every carriers that charges for carryons, DL will likely bring it's BE to the new low sooner than later.

Jiburi
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not to forget total inflexibility. Either you fly the ticket as booked or it is void and has no value. That is something on which people should focus a bit more.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jiburi
As limited carry-ons has proven to expedite boarding with UA & AA and pretty much every carriers that charges for carryons, DL will likely bring it's BE to the new low sooner than later.

Jiburi
Delta can't change baggage rules post-purchase. When Delta limits Basic Economy carry-ons one can decide baggage strategies accordingly. Until then, enjoy an advantage that AA and UA deny you.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
The lack of seat assignments (even for a fee) kills me, and is not worth the price difference. I really don't care about the lack of changes or bag fees as I carry light and have my plans set in stone, but I need my seat assignment, I scour the seat map and reviews to get the best one for me.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
I would sincerely hope not. DL is heads and shoulders above the crowd with this policy, and I was hoping DL would keep itself positioned as the lone standout. This would hopefully encourage AA and UA to re-allow overhead bags for their BE customers. I guess we shall see.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Basic Economy fares on DL do not prohibit carry-on luggage in the overhead bins (you seem to be confusing it with UA/AA BE ruies).
​​​​​​​Correct. I'm an occassional Delta flyer. I just took another look at the rules.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Often1
Not to forget total inflexibility. Either you fly the ticket as booked or it is void and has no value. That is something on which people should focus a bit more.
No *voluntary* changes. DL will still take care of E fare pax for MX/WX/flight delays, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:38 am
pjs

Thanks for the report. Flying the opposite routing in March (ATL-HPN-ATL) to visit our kid at SUNY Purchase. Figured it was a good route to go with Basic Economy ($120 savings RT per person) as wife and I can deal with being separated for 2 hours and there are no middle seats. I do see a few flights with 717s on this route though so watch out for that. Think we will wait for the airport to get seats and see if we get lucky.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update.

I flew LGA/ATL/LGA a few weeks ago. This time I checked in online when I received the e mail from Delta. They had already assigned me a seat. I went into my reservation, and was able to change my seat. I moved to a window (from the aisle), and I moved up a few rows. I wonder if I could have done this in January.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.