Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Kudos to Delta for doing something about this. There was way too much abuse of the system and hopefully this dissuades people taking their pets on planes as fake ESAs....service animals area completely different story.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
This policy isn't going to change anything. It's just wishcasting.
Sure it will. The more red tape, scrutiny and official forms, the more ESAs will board Southwest, et.al.

Someone needed to make the first move.

The Department of Transportation, which held discussions in 2016 with mental and physical disability rights groups about which animals should be allowed in airplane cabins, said it will monitor Delta's policy to make sure it is in line with the rights of passengers with disabilities who travel with service animals.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Sure it will. The more red tape, scrutiny and official forms, the more ESAs will board Southwest, et.al.

Someone needed to make the first move.
Absolutely. Even if it's all just perception (I think it's plenty more) then people with ESAs will still veer away from Delta.

And people with allergies and things will veer toward Delta.

But I also think this will empower gate agents and flight attendants to be bolder if they suspect abuse.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by pvn
It's possible there were some on there but I haven't seen any in that time or noticed them at boarding, no disruptions, nobody having allergic reactions. I have seen a few in the clubs/concourses but it's very sporadic.
I was just messing around. I have seen an uptick in animals on planes in clubs etc over the past few years. Last one was a 60+ year old tiny lady being dragged down the jet bridge by a big German Shepard that was wearing the "service" vest. I informed her she may want to have her money refunded by whomever trained this service animal. She gave me the nastiest look. Nice part is as she turned towards me the dog took off and I was pretty sure the dog was going to be boarding the plane dragging an arm. If that happened would I qualify for a ESA?
It is not just on planes. Animals are pretty much everywhere now. People can't bear to be apart from their fur babies.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This is a long time coming for a DM like me who is highly allergic to all dogs.
well Im highly allergic to cats, and a woman had one in a carrier next to me a few weeks ago--so allergic or not, she was doing it the right way, maybe you mean there will be less dogs?
I am hopeful these are not documents that can be obtained online.

FYI--a few weeks ago, i was lining up to board a plane and someone was at the gate with a dog on a leash, no vest, no carrier--nothing--as i was boarding I heard them say to her "lets get this dog registered for the flight". it was odd.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is solely the carriers' fault that they ---- including DL ---- do not require everything which they could require under DOT's rules. DL's rules will be better than the others but there is still a ways to go. Specifically, the law permits the carrier to require documentation that the passenger suffers from a DSM-recognized mental disability or disease. DL does not require that type of documentation containing a specific medical diagnosis.

This strikes me as a bit of fine-tuning and gives some leverage to front-line employees to keep the most obvious frauds and dangerous beasts off aircraft. Whether this continues to need more fine-tuning remains to be seen.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does any of this apply to PAID pets in cabin?

First of all, I applaud Delta for creating a fair system to reduce the amount of fraudulent ESA and service animals taking advantage of the system.

My question is, will any of these new policies (48 hour advance documentation for vet records/forms/etc) be required for standard pets traveling in the cabin, in a carrier, paying the $125 each way fee?

My interpretation is no, as the news article directly from DL specifically mentions "service and support animals." Anyone know of anything different?

We moved a year ago from Florida to Alaska and flew up with our small bichon frise in a carrier under the seat. We have plans to fly back to Florida for a week in May (got a great deal on F tickets!) and I'm curious if we will have any issues when we bring our pet along. We always travel with a pet health certificate, which agents say technically is not required unless your pet is traveling as cargo. We definitely don't take our pet on every trip, but for as long as we are in Alaska I can see us flying with a pet on a yearly basis.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

Thats crazy. It has been 230 flights since I last did not have an ESA on board.
Lol....touche
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
First of all, I applaud Delta for creating a fair system to reduce the amount of fraudulent ESA and service animals taking advantage of the system.

My question is, will any of these new policies (48 hour advance documentation for vet records/forms/etc) be required for standard pets traveling in the cabin, in a carrier, paying the $125 each way fee?

My interpretation is no, as the news article directly from DL specifically mentions "service and support animals." Anyone know of anything different?

We moved a year ago from Florida to Alaska and flew up with our small bichon frise in a carrier under the seat. We have plans to fly back to Florida for a week in May (got a great deal on F tickets!) and I'm curious if we will have any issues when we bring our pet along. We always travel with a pet health certificate, which agents say technically is not required unless your pet is traveling as cargo. We definitely don't take our pet on every trip, but for as long as we are in Alaska I can see us flying with a pet on a yearly basis.
Shouldn't be any paperwork for pet-in-cabin. PIC are "supposed" to be in carrier. ESA's don't have to be in a carrier.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I know this was a joke, but there is also now a list of animals that are not permitted, which appears to be new and also addresses some of the other more novel situations that have occurred. Under "animals not permitted" here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-animals.html

People trying to bring a pet dog or cat onboard as an emotional service animal could still make a fraudulent claim if they wanted, but some of the more creative animal choices are fully banned.
this list is so funny!! I mean smh here. Obviously things really have gotten completely out of control when you have to create a list like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot

no, thats the whole point, people who are claiming their animals are support animals of some sort to avoid the fee-you are fine!!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

So pleased by this. There is a lot of this type of fraud that originates at LAX and JFK/LGA. I'd say 15% or higher of my domestic flights have a "service animal." Some may be legit, I have no way to know. Some are definitely fraudulent. I don't know that many people, but I do know 2 individuals in LA who have no physical or psychological issues, but want to take their dog with them for free so they bought the little vest, and I guess got a letter. I didn't realize they even obtained a letter. I'm not sure airlines enforce the letter requirement. Reminds me of another person I know who was the primary care giver for her father who qualified for a handicap hang tag. He died 5 years ago. She still has the tag and uses it every day. These pathetic self-centered people are only emboldened by the current political environment where doing the right thing no longer matters and altruism is dead. I hope Delta starts denying these ESA fraudsters boarding. /rant
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is running pretty heavily in favor of the crackdown.

I was expecting to see more people defending the status quo.

Where are all the sugar glider owners who aren't mentally stable to travel on their own?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
You're talking about two separate issues (passengers who don't have legit ESA credentials and animals that you don't think are appropriate to be an ESA).

Some of these policies seem perfectly fine under ACA.

I don't think these policies are going to make any significant difference, FWIW.

ESAs at target are completely unrelated, since the ACA doesn't apply at Target and the ADA doesn't address ESAs.

That's a different matter. If you want to change laws fine, but violating the law seems like a bad way to go about it.
The Civil Rights movement disagreed......
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Kudos to Delta for doing something about this. There was way too much abuse of the system and hopefully this dissuades people taking their pets on planes as fake ESAs....service animals area completely different story.
+1 more leadership from Delta. Hope the rest of the industry will follow suit. This ridiculous nonsense has to stop and Delta is taking the first steps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.