Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is It Ever a Good Idea to Book With Expedia (et al.) Rather Than DL.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPMaverick
Master list of REALLY good reasons to book with Expedia instead of Delta:

1. For certain itineraries, particularly involving partner airlines or complex routings, it can be less expensive to book through a 3rd party.
Print Wikipost

Is It Ever a Good Idea to Book With Expedia (et al.) Rather Than DL.com?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
What about booking partner flights to collect MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown rather than dollars spent? My understanding is that these flights can't be purchased through delta.com for this purpose because they would be Delta marketed, but does it matter if they're purchased on Expedia vs. the partner airline directly?
You can pull up certain partner marketed flights and ticket them on delta.com. You just have to use something like ITAMatrixPowertools/BookwithMatrix/Kayak/etc. to pull them up on the Delta website. As of 2018, it no longer matters if they are DL ticketed as earnings is based solely on marketing carrier. I generally just book on the partner website anyway with the exception of mixed marketing carrier itin's.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2018 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Skatering
I once bought an AF ticketed, DL marketed, VS operated TATL and DL operated domestic, itinerary on Expedia and it was insanely cheap compared to anything offered elsewhere.

But unless something similar comes up, I wouldn't touch an OTA.
I did this once as well, but beware that ticket won’t earn MQM or SkyMiles, as VS is not inSkyTeam and you only get Delta credit for SkyTeam-operated flights when on AF stock.

On the upside, I was able to construct a premium-economy ticket from the USA-LHR and FCO-USA on different airlines despite Alitalia not really wanting to combine with Virgin.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
It is never a good idea. If you have a problem with a ticket you will constantly be referred by the airline back to Expedia to handle it. Expedia, in turn, will blame the airline/or hotel and refer you back to them -- or say that they cannot do anything. You'll be begging each end to help you and then solving your immediate problem by yourself = laying out a lot of money to rebook at the last minute, chasing your tail with innumerable phone calls and hours of repeated discussion with (maybe) getting to your destination in a timely manner. Any efforts at reimbursement will be total frustration though you might want to take note of this website -- www.Elliott.org when the dust settles. Keep good records of names, places, confirmation numbers, ticket numbers, etc. If you can handle all of that, sure, use Expedia.

I threatened my sister with death if she ever used Expedia again. She needed to make a date change and got at least six different answers from Expedia "clerks" - I refuse to call them any kind of travel agent -- varying from a refusal that it couldn't be done all the way up to needing to buy a new ticket for $2000. Every time she called back willing to pay the $300 change fee (given on one of her calls), the information from Expedia changed. I offered to phone back for her (with my 40+ years in the travel and airline industry) and felt sure that with the right lingo and knowledge of airlines it would be resolved. It did get resolved after hours and hours of discussion with Expedia. Their staff knew nothing; I literally had to beg for a supervisor who finally caved in on the applicable $300 airline change fee. I have never felt so mentally beat up in my life. They are tenacious. Anyone without a good knowledge of airline tickets, fees, exchanges, etc. is overwhelmingly at a loss.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Jan 21, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I booked a DL J ticket to Europe on Priceline yesterday, even as a DM. Saved $400 on booking direct, and Delta wouldn't price match when I called the DM line.

Fingers crossed that there are no major troubles.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alphaod
Well Expedia often only shows me Basic Economy tickets when I choose coach. There is no option to choose Main Cabin tickets.\

So I end up having to book directly.
Seriously. This is a huge problem, and I actually communicated with them about it. Received a rather surly response to the effect of, "No, you can't filter out basic economy. Like it or lump it."
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:51 pm

Expedia has "upgrade" option after you select fare to switch to normal economy or first etc. Maybe it's a recent addition.

Giving all negativity on this thread towards Expedia, I think I think I am using a different Expedia .

Is anyone who complaining about Expedia actually has Gold+ or other elite status on Expedia? Maybe it makes a huge difference for me just like having status on DL makes a difference for you when dealing with DL?

I never wait for agent when I call Expedia and usually get competent people. In the worst case it's a $50 agency fee if I want DL to take over.

I book Expedia because:
  • I find that maintaining Expedia status along with Delta status is valuable, especially when it comes to hotel-related wavers and favors and zero hold time when calling to make changes.
  • 24 hour cancellation rule extends to the end of next business day. I book on Friday and have until Monday night to sort out other travel details or rebook.
  • Expedia always calls me back if my call is disconnected. This is super important when making changes on the road with poor phone reception. If I am on expensive roaming, I ask Expedia agent to call me back when change is done (if change is complicated). The "call me back" thing never worked with DL.
  • Dealing with Expedia is much better than dealing with some other airlines, like Phillipine or Aeroflot for example. Even on good airlines sometimes it's not ideal to book direct. I recently had to book directly with Cathay because Expedia was more expensive: new website, had to type in all my data, then had to make a change and learn their phone menu, then 15 minute on hold to speak with human, etc. Yes calling delta PM line is great, but would you feel the same about Delta without DL status?
  • I do not just fly DL and it's convenient to have all itineraries in one place. Including flights on other airlines and hotels.

Last edited by AntonS; Jan 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.