Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Recovery Operations at ATL is a joke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Recovery Operations at ATL is a joke

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:29 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I fly out of GSP. I fly to the west coast and would love an option to get to SLC or MSP without having to go through ATL.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:33 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you don't want to fly through Atlanta, don't buy tickets through Atlanta. Personal choice and responsibility, not whining.
Come on...comments like this is not constructive. For some of us ATL is the best or only option....I fly out of GSP and it is either DTW or ATL. I would love to have a direct flight to SLC or MSP from GSP, but it ain't going to happen. There are a couple of flights to NYC, but that very rarely makes sense. I believe ATL works, but you always know in the back of your mind that it is one issue from a total meltdown.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Don't be ridiculous, they would just reroute all ATL connecting traffic through CVG. Problem solved! As for O&D passengers, sorry you live in Ohio now.
Originally Posted by apodo77

On the bright side 1” of snow overnight won’t cripple the airports in Ohio.
Check the map, guys. CVG is in Hebron, Kentucky. When I lived in Kentucky any time it snowed everybody stayed home.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
DL can only do so much, I would put the majority of blame where it truly belongs..... The City of Atlanta, The Atlanta Airport Authority, and the GM of ATL Roosevelt Council. Mr. Council instead of working to fix problems, is still blaming everybody but him for the power outage that happened. The money being spent on some dumb canopy over the upper deck of north and south terminal could have been spent on better things like infrastructure.... though in all fairness being in the rain for a moment when getting out of a car is much much worse than power, salt spreaders, de-icing trucks, etc......
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

I’ll keep whining. Thanks.
And do a fine job of it in MULTIPLE posts....lol
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

B is a hot mess with wires dangling from the ceiling last I saw....just about as 3rd world as LGA
I was in B Monday. Please explain to me how the lighting and flooring can be replaced without some sort of "mess".
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSF556
Come on...comments like this is not constructive. For some of us ATL is the best or only option....I fly out of GSP and it is either DTW or ATL. I would love to have a direct flight to SLC or MSP from GSP, but it ain't going to happen. There are a couple of flights to NYC, but that very rarely makes sense. I believe ATL works, but you always know in the back of your mind that it is one issue from a total meltdown.
So fly AA through CLT. If CLT is hosed, you've got ORD, PHL, DCA, and DFW options to pick from.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
So fly AA through CLT. If CLT is hosed, you've got ORD, PHL, DCA, and DFW options to pick from.
CLT was worse than ATL yesterday and IAH was just as bad earlier this week (average delays over 6 hours for flights that weren’t just preemptively cancelled). This is why airlines issue weather waivers. If you see a storm headed for the hub you’re scheduled to traverse, then change or cancel your flight. It really is that simple.

But let’s not let a few facts stop the angry pmNW crowd...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you don't want to fly through Atlanta, don't buy tickets through Atlanta. Personal choice and responsibility, not whining.
As someone who flies frequently to and from PBI, I can tell you this is easier said than done. Delta typically has eleven flights a day between PBI and ATL, one to Detroit, and a handful to JFK and LGA (rarely good options for a reroute). So if there are problems in Atlanta and I'm trying to get home from PBI, my best best is to join about a thousand other stranded passengers trying to get on the solitary Detroit flight. During the April meltdown, I ended up having to drive to MCO to get a flight through MSP. Moving a couple of those ATL flights to other hubs would work wonders when those IRROPS situations happen.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
To be fair, Atlanta meterologists screwed up this forecast royally. For days they were calling for a dusting. In my nine years in Atlanta not once has any of the network meterologists gotten a forecast right on a winter weather event. I don’t even watch the forecast on 11Alive because of that stupid “wizometer” they have.

it wasn’t a “dusting” by any stretch of the imagination, and the extended below freezing temps didn’t help. I don’t even remember GDOT say they were going to treat the roads ahead of time. And outside my condo near Piedmont Avenue in midtown that much was obvious. There was a nine car pileup on Lenox road at GA 400. How do you not treat Lenox road? Gwinnett county had over 100 accidents.

I realize Delta has it’s own meteorologist team but when the city and state wasn’t even taking it seriously I don’t know what else you can do.
golfr likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by OHDL1
And do a fine job of it in MULTIPLE posts....lol
You’re welcome for the entertainment!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by sleuth
To be fair, Atlanta meterologists screwed up this forecast royally. For days they were calling for a dusting. In my nine years in Atlanta not once has any of the network meterologists gotten a forecast right on a winter weather event. I don’t even watch the forecast on 11Alive because of that stupid “wizometer” they have.

it wasn’t a “dusting” by any stretch of the imagination, and the extended below freezing temps didn’t help. I don’t even remember GDOT say they were going to treat the roads ahead of time. And outside my condo near Piedmont Avenue in midtown that much was obvious. There was a nine car pileup on Lenox road at GA 400. How do you not treat Lenox road? Gwinnett county had over 100 accidents.

I realize Delta has it’s own meteorologist team but when the city and state wasn’t even taking it seriously I don’t know what else you can do.
Not much better at RDU. They forecasted 1-4" up until when the event started. RDU Airport reported 12". Currently DL operations are a huge mess at RDU. I've been trying to get home from CUN for 36 hours now. Currently at MCO. Boarded a flight at 9am, but now it's delayed until 1:20p because DL employees apparently can't get to work. I could be angry (and I am cranky from sitting around MCO all day), but I know how it is. I wouldn't risk driving to work on iced roads for a $10/hr job. When I worked on the ramp at RDU, our GM would put rampers (who volunteered) in airport hotels so we could get to work the following day. He even got us a keg once to up the ante... haha. I can't speak for what happened at DL RDU last night, but I see that other airlines (except for WN who just cancelled everything) are operating flights (albeit with 1-2 hr delays). DL does have the largest operation, but that's not really an excuse.

Anyway, this is the biggest single snow event since 2001 where RDU saw 20", if I recall correctly.

P.S.: DL filed for a DL only Ground Stop (GS) then Ground Delay Program (GDP) at RDU. I've seen them do this at ATL as well. I wonder if that's not just a way for them to say "Oh well it's an ATC delay, it's something out of our control"... To be fair, our pilot has been honest with us, but I doubt phone agents and other agents know what's up. Perhaps a topic for another thread. I've seen OA issue carrier only GS/GDPs, but DL seems to do it significantly more often IMO. Disclaimer: I look at the FAA OIS every few hours because I'm an airline/aerospace system nerd.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by sleuth
The State of Georgia did take it seriously -- the Governor shut the state government down for two days. Seriously:
State government offices will remain closed across much of north Georgia on Thursday for non-essential personnel as plunging temperatures and icy roads caused treacherous conditions.
Gov. Nathan Deal said he was acting on a recommendation from his emergency deputies in closing state government offices across 83 counties for a second day in a row. He said 12,800 miles of the nearly 18,000 miles of state roads and interstates still need to be cleared and treated for ice as of early Wednesday.
Link to full article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - State government offices in north Georgia will be shuttered again Thursday (11:18 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The State of Georgia did take it seriously -- the Governor shut the state government down for two days. Seriously:[/left]Link to full article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - State government offices in north Georgia will be shuttered again Thursday (11:18 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018)
The post you quoted said "the city and state wasn’t even taking it seriously..." The key is that the government's response was reactive not proactive.

Taking the situation seriously and shutting the government down after the storm hit does nothing to help with the flight situations.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Its tough if you live someplace where your only option is to go through ATL. ATL is still a great airport to fly through if you have a MX issue, but for system wide issues, which DL does not seem to be handling as well as they used to, you are hosed. Add to this, that every flight to/from ATL where I live is sold out in F and C+ a week in advance, I wouldn't necessarily say I avoid it, but its a very rare occasion I have a layover there anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.