Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL and Southeast Weather Delays (1/17/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL and Southeast Weather Delays (1/17/18)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Well the ATL DL Ground Stop is now cancelled, and it has been replaced by a Ground Delay Program (GDP). That's an improvement I guess. Still a large number of delays though
DL’s recovery is a complete and utter joke at ATL.
It is too big of a hub and days like today are exhibit A.

Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I used the weather waiver yesterday to change from the 1050 am RDU-DCA flight Wed morning to the 2 pm flight on Tues.
Lost FC upgrade but still had a pair of seats in C+. This was an award ticket for 8500 miles.
It looks like I didn't need to make the change, since the two RDU-DCA flights this morning went as scheduled. The afternoon and evening appears to be messed up.
I was just as pleased to get home a day early.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I’m currently approaching 2 hours waiting in the worlds slowest conga line for de-icing.

When it works well, ATL is great. But the hub is too big. Will eventually drive me away from Delta I imagine.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Sounds like DL's ATL operation is melting faster than the planes, runways, and roads.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I used the waiver yesterday to change from MSY-BHM to MSY-LAS. Knowing how Birmingham can be when it snows. And figured that ATL would be a mess on Thursday when I would be trying to get home. Presuming I could get out of BHM. I ended up with 8 hours in ATL. Very long day, but I'm glad I did it .
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Complete and utter joke on DL’s part.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My MEM-ATL flight was cancelled this evening. Then I got this email....Dear Delta Customer,Atlanta Airport is reporting extended wait times—in excess of two hours—at the Domestic Terminal Main TSA Security Checkpoint as a result of limited TSA staffing due to the inclement weather. The North and South Security Checkpoints are closed. Customers traveling Wednesday and Thursday are encouraged to arrive three hours prior to their scheduled departure time to allow sufficient time to clear security. Shorter wait times may be found at the International Terminal. For updated security wait times, visit the ATL Airport website.Thank you for flying Delta.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:55 pm

After a 4 hour delay PBI-ATL we land at 9:20 or so..
Arriving gate A24. Wait 10 minutes for personnel to get plane to gate.
ATL-SAN is leaving late at 9:45 at gate A30.
In row 1 and hustle off to gate A30 and arrive at 9:32 to see door closed and no GA in sight.
There are 8 of us there.
At about 9:50pm a red coat emerges from the jetway and let’s us all know since we didn’t present ourselves at the gate 15 minutes prior we are screwed. All I could do is laugh. Plane pushes back at 10:16pm per FlightAware.
DL.dumb rebooks me on a flight at 11:21am tomorrow.
Tuens out there is one more flight at A20 at 10:45pm and am able to get on it.
Flight is maybe half full. Bad day for Delta ops:
I think my favorite part is when PBI-ATL 1656 is cancelled after sitting on the plane for about an hour and the pilot says it is because all the airport employees have worked 14 hour days thus far (who I am sure had a crappy day and do appreciate the ones that did work) and are going home but none are able to replace them to get to the airport. Guess some can get home but not to work. :-)

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 17, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Delta is too busy removing newspapers from the SkyClubs.....priorities
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Wasted 6 hours at ATL yesterday trying to get to MCO. I will try again today. DL IS quickly losing my business.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
After a 4 hour delay PBI-ATL we land at 9:20 or so..
Arriving gate A24. Wait 10 minutes for personnel to get plane to gate.
ATL-SAN is leaving late at 9:45 at gate A30.
In row 1 and hustle off to gate A30 and arrive at 9:32 to see door closed and no GA in sight.
There are 8 of us there.
At about 9:50pm a red coat emerges from the jetway and let’s us all know since we didn’t present ourselves at the gate 15 minutes prior we are screwed. All I could do is laugh. Plane pushes back at 10:16pm per FlightAware.
DL.dumb rebooks me on a flight at 11:21am tomorrow.
Tuens out there is one more flight at A20 at 10:45pm and am able to get on it.
Flight is maybe half full. Bad day for Delta ops:
I think my favorite part is when PBI-ATL 1656 is cancelled after sitting on the plane for about an hour and the pilot says it is because all the airport employees have worked 14 hour days thus far (who I am sure had a crappy day and do appreciate the ones that did work) and are going home but none are able to replace them to get to the airport. Guess some can get home but not to work. :-)
Nice try. Plane pushed from gate at 10:00 and took off at 10:16 per FlightAware
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum

After my MCO-RDU flight cancelled yesterday, I talked to a nice group of pilots on my hotel bus. They were supposed to go to ATL. They said deicing wasn’t always like this at ATL. They used to be allowed to deice at the gates which operationally worked much better. However, a few years ago the EPA outlawed that (he thinks because they are now required to recycle the glycol). Now they use pads that ATL has designated for deicing. He didn’t know how many pads there were exactly, but it was his opinion that this is a major bottleneck. How to fix...well he didn’t have any idea except for perhaps having more deice pads.

Just 2 XBR
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Nice try. Plane pushed from gate at 10:00 and took off at 10:16 per FlightAware
My bad.
Delta should be absolved then.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD

After my MCO-RDU flight cancelled yesterday, I talked to a nice group of pilots on my hotel bus. They were supposed to go to ATL. They said deicing wasn’t always like this at ATL. They used to be allowed to deice at the gates which operationally worked much better. However, a few years ago the EPA outlawed that (he thinks because they are now required to recycle the glycol). Now they use pads that ATL has designated for deicing. He didn’t know how many pads there were exactly, but it was his opinion that this is a major bottleneck. How to fix...well he didn’t have any idea except for perhaps having more deice pads.

Just 2 XBR
Hopefully the airlines will lobby for the repeal of that regulation.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

My bad.
Delta should be absolved then.
lol...no..you should get your story straight especially when whining.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.