Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to use more than 3 gift cards in one booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I believe Delta website only allows maximum of 3 gift cards if you book and pay online, but if i want to use more than 3 gift cards, can I use them over the phone?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
AFAIK, no, the phone people can't get around that restriction. But you have nothing to lose by calling and asking.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It used to be that if you used a gift card for a purchase and then cancelled within 24 hours you would get an e-credit for the purchase rather than the money reloaded to the gift card. In this way you could use the gift cards, get a refund, and then use the larger voucher(s) to purchase the ticket (and use more gift cards).

I've never tried this - I just know that a few years ago I got a voucher when I asked for a refund on a gift card purchase within 24 hours. Not sure if this is still the case today.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ethernal
It used to be that if you used a gift card for a purchase and then cancelled within 24 hours you would get an e-credit for the purchase rather than the money reloaded to the gift card. In this way you could use the gift cards, get a refund, and then use the larger voucher(s) to purchase the ticket (and use more gift cards).

I've never tried this - I just know that a few years ago I got a voucher when I asked for a refund on a gift card purchase within 24 hours. Not sure if this is still the case today.
This worked for me last summer.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

This is the way to do this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

How does e-credit work? Can i use e-credit in my account to book flights for family members? Does e-credit expire? How many e-credit certificates can be used for a booking (3 like gift card?)????
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
How does e-credit work? Can i use e-credit in my account to book flights for family members? Does e-credit expire? How many e-credit certificates can be used for a booking (3 like gift card?)????
  • What types of Certificates and eCredits are there?

Delta eCerts can be redeemed for a variety of money-saving offers on eligible flights, including:
    • A specific dollar amount off the cost of an eligible fare.
    • A specific percentage off the cost of an eligible fare.
    • A specific percentage off the number of miles required to purchase an Award ticket.
    • A travel certificate that covers the cost of a ticket and requires the customer to only pay applicable taxes and fees.
    • A complimentary upgrade to the First or Business Class cabin.
    • SkyMiles Companion Certificates are exclusive, money-saving certificates good for one eligible round-trip flight--just for renewing your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. Learn more about SkyMiles Companion Certificates.
    eCredits are a specific monetary value that can be applied as payment toward the cost of a Delta ticket and any government-imposed taxes and fees. Examples of an eCredit:
    • Unused or partially used past date eTicket.
    • Delta Travel Voucher received when an eTicket exchange results in residual value.
    • Delta Dollars received for denied boarding compensation from an over sold flight.
    • Transportation Credit Voucher received as compensation for a service issue.
    • Miscellaneous Charge Order generally received when an eTicket exchange results in residual value and the original form of payment for the ticket was other than a credit card.
    • eGift certificates
    When you redeem Certificates or eCredits at delta.com there is no transaction fee. You can also redeem them at any Delta ticketing location, but additional fees may apply. Most Certificates and eCredits cannot be redeemed at travel agencies, other airlines, or other travel web sites please refer to the terms and conditions for details.

Can I see a list of the Certificates and eCredits I already have?

Certificates and eCredits associated with your SkyMiles number can be viewed by going to delta.com and logging in with your SkyMiles number and then go to MY DELTA and open the Certificates and eCredits module within My Wallet. Only Certificates or eCredits that were associated to your SkyMiles number when it was issued will be displayed.

If you wish to view Certificates or eCredits not associated with your SkyMiles number visit delta.com/redeemopens in a new window and enter your Certificate or eCredit number. You can view up to six individual numbers at one time.

How many Certificates or eCredits can I redeem toward my ticket?

The number of Certificates or eCredits that can be applied to a single ticket purchase may depend on the Certificate and eCredit type and the date of issue. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of each individual Certificate and eCredit for complete details.

How do I redeem an individual Certificate or eCredit?

If you have an individual Certificate or eCredit to redeem:
    1. Click the Redeem a Certificate link below.
    2. Enter your Certificate or eCredit number along with any other required information.
    3. When selecting from your flight result options, eligible flights will be identified as "Certificate applied".
    4. eCredits will be applied as a form of payment at time of purchase.
    Redeem a Certificate

Can I combine the Certificates and eCredits I already have?

Some Certificates and eCredits can be combined and used for a single ticket if the Terms and Conditions allow it. If you have more than one Certificate or eCredit to redeem:
    1. Click the Redeem Multiple Certificates link below.
    2. Enter the numbers along with any other required information. You can also enter your SkyMiles information to view all of the Certificates and eCredits associated with your account.
    3. Select the Certificates and/or eCredits you would like to redeem.
    4. Search for eligible flights and book your trip.
    Redeem Multiple Certificates

If my eCredit covers the cost of my ticket, why do I need to provide credit card information?

Credit card information is required for all flight purchases in order to be eligible for Risk Free Cancellation online.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
  • What types of Certificates and eCredits are there?

Delta eCerts can be redeemed for a variety of money-saving offers on eligible flights, including:
    • A specific dollar amount off the cost of an eligible fare.
    • A specific percentage off the cost of an eligible fare.
    • A specific percentage off the number of miles required to purchase an Award ticket.
    • A travel certificate that covers the cost of a ticket and requires the customer to only pay applicable taxes and fees.
    • A complimentary upgrade to the First or Business Class cabin.
    • SkyMiles Companion Certificates are exclusive, money-saving certificates good for one eligible round-trip flight--just for renewing your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. Learn more about SkyMiles Companion Certificates.
    eCredits are a specific monetary value that can be applied as payment toward the cost of a Delta ticket and any government-imposed taxes and fees. Examples of an eCredit:
    • Unused or partially used past date eTicket.
    • Delta Travel Voucher received when an eTicket exchange results in residual value.
    • Delta Dollars received for denied boarding compensation from an over sold flight.
    • Transportation Credit Voucher received as compensation for a service issue.
    • Miscellaneous Charge Order generally received when an eTicket exchange results in residual value and the original form of payment for the ticket was other than a credit card.
    • eGift certificates
    When you redeem Certificates or eCredits at delta.com there is no transaction fee. You can also redeem them at any Delta ticketing location, but additional fees may apply. Most Certificates and eCredits cannot be redeemed at travel agencies, other airlines, or other travel web sites please refer to the terms and conditions for details.

Can I see a list of the Certificates and eCredits I already have?

Certificates and eCredits associated with your SkyMiles number can be viewed by going to delta.com and logging in with your SkyMiles number and then go to MY DELTA and open the Certificates and eCredits module within My Wallet. Only Certificates or eCredits that were associated to your SkyMiles number when it was issued will be displayed.

If you wish to view Certificates or eCredits not associated with your SkyMiles number visit delta.com/redeemopens in a new window and enter your Certificate or eCredit number. You can view up to six individual numbers at one time.

How many Certificates or eCredits can I redeem toward my ticket?

The number of Certificates or eCredits that can be applied to a single ticket purchase may depend on the Certificate and eCredit type and the date of issue. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of each individual Certificate and eCredit for complete details.

How do I redeem an individual Certificate or eCredit?

If you have an individual Certificate or eCredit to redeem:
    1. Click the Redeem a Certificate link below.
    2. Enter your Certificate or eCredit number along with any other required information.
    3. When selecting from your flight result options, eligible flights will be identified as "Certificate applied".
    4. eCredits will be applied as a form of payment at time of purchase.
    Redeem a Certificate

Can I combine the Certificates and eCredits I already have?

Some Certificates and eCredits can be combined and used for a single ticket if the Terms and Conditions allow it. If you have more than one Certificate or eCredit to redeem:
    1. Click the Redeem Multiple Certificates link below.
    2. Enter the numbers along with any other required information. You can also enter your SkyMiles information to view all of the Certificates and eCredits associated with your account.
    3. Select the Certificates and/or eCredits you would like to redeem.
    4. Search for eligible flights and book your trip.
    Redeem Multiple Certificates

If my eCredit covers the cost of my ticket, why do I need to provide credit card information?

Credit card information is required for all flight purchases in order to be eligible for Risk Free Cancellation online.
I checked the same rule from delta website beforehand, but the answer is really vague. I wonder if there are more specific answers (like exactly how many ecredit vouchers can be used for a booking)...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I believe Delta website only allows maximum of 3 gift cards if you book and pay online, but if i want to use more than 3 gift cards, can I use them over the phone?
One simple way to use 6 is to book 2 one-way flights (if price is the same as round trip that is).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
It seems now Delta will just re-load the balance onto those gift cards when a ticket is cancelled within 24 hours that was purchased with gift cards
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PL, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy PL
Originally Posted by jerryhze
It seems now Delta will just re-load the balance onto those gift cards when a ticket is cancelled within 24 hours that was purchased with gift cards
+1
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jerryhze
How about buying a fully refundable ticket and waiting a few days. There used to be some good fully refundable fares out of SEA.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
That's really a shame, AA allows 8. Not sure about UA.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Renes Points
One simple way to use 6 is to book 2 one-way flights (if price is the same as round trip that is).
I've done this. Many domestic flights are nearly priced the same.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Has anyone tried using multiple Delta gift cards to purchase a larger Delta gift card? Would be awesome if this could be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.