Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge Coming to JFK T4

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manacit
The CSR made a splash with the 100k UR signup bonus. Now that it's over (and probably never coming back), I don't think it's anywhere near as much of a threat in the long term. I'd bet that a ton of people cancelled theirs after the first year (or are going to when the AF is up). The demographic they were getting to sign up doesn't actually want a 'premium' card, they want a 'free stuff' card, which they could easily get by redeeming their UR points through chase in the UR portal.

Amex's place at the top of the luxury card business isn't going away soon, but they need to start coming up with ways to differentiate and provide tangible benefits beyond discount full-fare F tickets and discount private jets if they want to continue the 'mainstream' adoption of the plat card.
I have the Amex Plat, my partner has the CSR- He is constantly reminding me of the "better" perks of the CSR- bonuses when redeeming points through the portal, the bigger & less restrictive travel credit, and the "unlimited" PP lounge guesting. In reality, though, we've had issues actually redeeming anything in the UR Portal, and the non-PP lounges included with Amex are miles ahead of any PP lounge in the US. Our most likely endgame is to use the UR points by transferring to Hotels & Airlines to redeem in their respective sweet spots, rather than book a long hotel stay through UR only to find it was booked at a Priceline rate and any status perks don't apply.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Not very useful for DL flyers since the gates will be super far away
It's not that far...

it's easy to go to this lounge area as soon as you get through security and then just leave 5 minutes earlier to get to your gate (instead of spending 5 minutes up front to get to the SC)
manacit likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Visconti
We've gotten to the point where children's natural uncontrollable boisterous behavior at an early age is going to dictate what Adults should or shouldn't do?
It doesn't dictate what I do.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
If Adults aren't mature, we can confront them aggressively, whereas we can't with children, since it isn't their fault. See the difference?
Yeah, looking for ways to get into aggressive confrontations seems like a great solution to this problem. Holy cow.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah, looking for ways to get into aggressive confrontations seems like a great solution to this problem. Holy cow.
Either I didn’t make myself clear, or you’ve intentionally, for the sake of melodrama, misunderstood my meaning to insinuate it to mean a physical confrontation (fist-a-cuffs). If the former, by “aggressive confrontation,” I meant the following: (1) telling someone to quiet down (assertively request, if you prefer a more euphemistic phrase); then, (2) “strongly encourage” staff to inform the guest refrain from disturbing others; and, (3) finally, address the decision makers (with whatever little influence I have) and voice my discontent (as distasteful as it is, these days, people must whine, complain, and be a royal pain the a** until they get their way).

However, if the latter, then it’s completely pointless and an utter waste of time (even for FT standards) for me to continue exchanging views with you.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
pvn
Suspended

And now you're blaming me for your word choice? Like, you verbatim said "confront them aggressively" but somehow I wasn't supposed to read either the word "confront" or the word "aggressively".

OK dude, good talk.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
And now you're blaming me for your word choice? Like, you verbatim said "confront them aggressively" but somehow I wasn't supposed to read either the word "confront" or the word "aggressively".

OK dude, good talk.
From my initial post, "In the few cases where Adults aren't, at least they can be confronted it to tone it down, whereas it's not possible with children, because, well, they're so young and just don't know better."

If you've read this before replying, what does this mean to you?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
and the "unlimited" PP lounge guesting
Do you know that Amex PP now allows 2 free guests per entry?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Amex is 2 free.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, but certain bloggers insist that the CSR's "unlimited" is infinitely better than Amex's 2, regardless of how often you actually *have* more than 2 guests.

More relevant is whether a lounge even will let you and 100 of your best friends in (unlikely), since the lounge can enforce whatever guest cap they want- Amex and Chase just pay the lounge per entry. It's a great marketing pitch, but doesn't mean much in the end.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
I wonder if DL is now considering restricting access for Amex card members to their SC, because Amex will have their own lounge. This would also take care of the over crowding of SC during peak hours.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:48 am
pvn
Suspended

I doubt DL has the contractual freedom to arbitrarily exclude platinum card holders.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Christefan
I wonder if DL is now considering restricting access for Amex card members to their SC, because Amex will have their own lounge. This would also take care of the over crowding of SC during peak hours.
Originally Posted by pvn
I doubt DL has the contractual freedom to arbitrarily exclude platinum card holders.
Also why would they? Outside of FT, the Plat card isn't sitting in every passenger's wallet so I doubt that kicking out AMEX Plat holders from the SC would make any measurable difference on the over crowding. Plus it would be a horrible move for AMEX - I know I would almost certainly drop the Plat card if SC access was restricted or limited, especially since I don't live near an airport with a Centurion Lounge and as a DL flyer I almost never get to use them because other than LAS / HKG / SEA, none of the existing ones are particularly well located for DL flights or connections

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 18, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:21 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I feel like overcrowding will also be somewhat self-correcting when there's another lounge. As an Amex Platinum cardmember flying out of SEA, if the A1 Sky Club was full I'd go around the corner to the Centurion Lounge; depending on how far apart they are at JFK I might do the same, or use whichever is closer to my gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.