Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and SkyTeam sometimes prefer not SkyTeam connections, why?

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Some examples:

SEA - SGN/HAN: cheapest DL tickets (at least in discounted business Z) allow routing via ICN to KE and NRT to NH, but not to VN. I can understand that ICN connection has to be on KE but forcing NH in NRT is silly when VN is available.

SEA-SVO: Economy fares on SU allows routing SEA-LAX-SVO with SEA-LAX on AS but not DL. With many DL flights SEA-LAX why SU is forcing pax to take connecting AS flight?

In both example SkyTeam airline is flying to non-SkyTeam hub. Is it possible that agreement non-SkyTeam hub airline (SU with AS in LAX and DL with NH in NRT) prevent them from selling connections on SkyTeam even if they are available?

(This does not apply to award tickets)

Last edited by AntonS; Jan 16, 2018 at 3:38 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Skyteam is a disfunctional alliance. Many of its members have preferred partners that are outside of Skyteam, and they will route preferably on those partners (or even ignore Skyteam members entirely). The alliance is nowhere close to getting the most out of its network. Of course, if you are a DL FF, it doesn't matter too much since the earning rates on many members doesn't make it worthwhile anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The alliances are mostly dead. The future for a while has been JVs and partnerships. Great if you happen to be going somewhere that the JV covers, otherwise, not.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CI is another airline that forces domestic connections within the US to many markets on AS/VX. Pretty trippy, for sure. But typically these short hops are chosen for timing or convenience; in the CI case, Delta west coast flights aren’t timed to connect with CI’s weird arrival times while AS is.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by BenA
CI is another airline that forces domestic connections within the US to many markets on AS/VX. Pretty trippy, for sure. But typically these short hops are chosen for timing or convenience; in the CI case, Delta west coast flights aren’t timed to connect with CI’s weird arrival times while AS is.
Well, that and there are some flights that DL simply doesn't operate non-stop. Like California to Chicago.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP is going to need to look deep into the fare rules. Is it a question of SkyTeam flights not allowed by fare rule, or of lack of fare bucket inventory of the dates/routes/flights?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AntonS
Some examples:

SEA - SGN/HAN: cheapest DL tickets (at least in discounted business Z) allow routing via ICN to KE and NRT to NH, but not to VN. I can understand that ICN connection has to be on KE but forcing NH in NRT is silly when VN is available.

SEA-SVO: Economy fares on SU allows routing SEA-LAX-SVO with SEA-LAX on AS but not DL. With many DL flights SEA-LAX why SU is forcing pax to take connecting AS flight?

In both example SkyTeam airline is flying to non-SkyTeam hub. Is it possible that agreement non-SkyTeam hub airline (SU with AS in LAX and DL with NH in NRT) prevent them from selling connections on SkyTeam even if they are available?

Are you looking at the fare rules and seeing these restrictions or just basing your conclusion on the flights that are offered when you try to book a ticket on line using the airline's website?

You might be able to get the VN/DL/etc. flights you want by calling DL, SU, etc. or purchasing through a good real live human travel agent if inventory is available in the fare class you need.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you looking at the fare rules and seeing these restrictions or just basing your conclusion on the flights that are offered when you try to book a ticket on line using the airline's website?

You might be able to get the VN/DL/etc. flights you want by calling DL, SU, etc. or purchasing through a good real live human travel agent if inventory is available in the fare class you need.
Yep, fare fare rules. In case of DL/VN to Vietnam the agent went on to do research why VN connection was forcing DL flight to price in J instead of Z and came back saying that Z fare allowed to connect with KE, NH and OZ (surprise!) For full J yo can do whatever but it's expensive as hell.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yep, fare fare rules. In case of DL/VN to Vietnam the agent went on to do research why VN connection was forcing DL flight to price in J instead of Z and came back saying that Z fare allowed to connect with KE, NH and OZ (surprise!) For full J yo can do whatever but it's expensive as hell.
You should also be able to have an agent break the fare so that you use the cheaper Z TPAC fare but combine it on the same PNR with a separate ticket for the intraAsian flights you want using any applicable fare being sold for that portion unless the fare rules prohibit this too. It's likely to be cheaper than FULL J.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Well, that and there are some flights that DL simply doesn't operate non-stop. Like California to Chicago.
But when CI offers only AS or SY on LAX/SFO-MSP connections...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak

But when CI offers only AS or SY on LAX/SFO-MSP connections...
That's CI's choice. Ask them why.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Some examples:

This past summer I had similar experience trying to get a ticket on Delta.com and it kept on giving me that non earning ANA leg.
i called Delta and got even fewer choices. I HUCA and after a couple of tries, I finally found someone who could give me decent choices.
Subsequently, I've noticed that Delta.com offers far fewer International route options than before and to call is a waste of time. The JV with KE seems to dominate the system now.
For years, I only used Delta.com (I never said I was smart), but Delta's ineptitude, whether intentional or not, has made me look many places and even join this forum. I've found Google flights pretty good, BUT if you select all airlines, sometimes it won't show the lowest Skyteam price (for Z ), but if you select Skyteam only, they pop up.

So in sum Anton, it's Delta being too smart for their own good.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's CI's choice. Ask them why.
Not sure if that’s rhetorical or if there’s some specific reason that I’m missing why CI disfavors DL connections (or vice versa, for that matter). As per the OP’s point of this thread, overall alliance integration is really weak between ST carriers on the distribution side.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It's not just DL/Syteam issue. It's also about what interline agreements a carrier has, who offers better pricing, etc.

Some examples in Star Alliance, which you can find threads on in the UA forum:
- Trips from Asia sometimes connect with CX in HKG to UA TPACs, vs. NH to NRT to UA TPACs. In fact, last year, flew BKK (CX)-HKG (UA)-EWR, with the first segment on CX for no miles on UA, because it was about $400 cheaper per person (and traveling with 3) vs. connecting via NH through NRT (or TG).
- Domestic connections are often built with whoever has the best agreement/pricing. SQ famously connects folks off their flights to Virgin for domestic segments (well, did, anyway..I assume AS now) vs. UA, their alliance 'partner'. When they do offer UA as an option, fares are priced in Y. Flew TK a few years ago, with the domestic connection on AA since that's who they partnered with for whatever reason, vs. UA.
- Many international carriers (particularly Asian carriers, but definitely not limited to them) typically require full fares on an issue on OAL stock (i.e. only allow discount fares on their own stock).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
My usual HND-MSP/LAX flights seem filled with people connecting from MNL on PR.

DL must be patiently waiting for the day the SK government approves the KE JV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.