Seat Selection Voided on Code Shares

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Seat Selection Voided on Code Shares

Why is seat selection offered by DL on code share flights on TATL segments? It's voided the when you purchase the ticket, including the domestic segments on DL metal. Alitalia doesn't assign until the day of travel. Knowing you won't be wedged in a middle seat for 9 hours was part of the purchase offer. Continuing to market flights with seat assignments that aren't honored is a shell game.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
On what carriers, in what classes of service, are codeshare seat assignments made on delta.com not honored? You mention Alitalia.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This has always been an issue, in different forms, for DL.

Even if it looks like your seat assignment request worked, it's always best to call or tweet DL to ask for your confirmation number for the operating carrier, then login to that carrier's website and confirm (or select). In some cases, depending on the carrier, you may need to call them directly (and be sure to call the overseas number, not a US 800 number that will connect you to DL who handles AF & KLM calls in the US).
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
On what carriers, in what classes of service, are codeshare seat assignments made on delta.com not honored? You mention Alitalia.
I can cite Alitalia - and Alitalia alone. I unfairly generalized the grievance.

For all I know VS and AF seating charts never pop up on DL's website before funds are sent.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

We found on our Christmas trip that we could not select seats on the codeshare KLM flights when I booked on Delta in August, but as soon as we purchased, we could go to the KLM website, use the Delta confirmation number, and it would pop up with the seat selection screens--chose our seats, the seats then showed up on Delta website, and best of all, the seats "stuck" for all four months until we got on the planes.

Since we booked so early, I was not too worried about having a decent selection of seats available.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
... it's always best to call or tweet DL to ask for your confirmation number for the operating carrier, then login to that carrier's website and confirm (or select). ...
this, this, and this again ... yes it would be nice if everything about code-share operations was website-independent, but only the operating carrier can help with anything that has to do with the actual airplane on the day of travel
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jrl767
this, this, and this again ... yes it would be nice if everything about code-share operations was website-independent, but only the operating carrier can help with anything that has to do with the actual airplane on the day of travel
Getting KLM conf # was all I needed to book seats that “stuck”. I also had to download the KLM app to check in and get boarding passes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by LegalTender

For all I know VS and AF seating charts never pop up on DL's website before funds are sent.
I find the same problem with CI which I'm reliant on since Delta pulled out of Taiwan last year. Very annoying. Can't even check in online and they never get the baggage limits right.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by wishfulflyer
We found on our Christmas trip that we could not select seats on the codeshare KLM flights when I booked on Delta in August, but as soon as we purchased, we could go to the KLM website, use the Delta confirmation number, and it would pop up with the seat selection screens--chose our seats, the seats then showed up on Delta website, and best of all, the seats "stuck" for all four months until we got on the planes.

Since we booked so early, I was not too worried about having a decent selection of seats available.
This doesn't work for AZ. It's been a known problem for a while. If you book on the AZ code but on 006 stock, you can select seats in the way described above. But if you book the DL codeshare on 006 stock (and perhaps also on AZ stock), no seat assignment until close in. Very annoying.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I find the same problem with CI which I'm reliant on since Delta pulled out of Taiwan last year. Very annoying. Can't even check in online and they never get the baggage limits right.
That's interesting on the baggage limits. I would expect the programmed Passenger Service System to handle that. What's a sample routing, and which flights are DL-coded and which are CI-coded? What's the baggage limit you expect, and what do you get?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender

The Mods can help you amend the thread title.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwma
This doesn't work for AZ. It's been a known problem for a while. If you book on the AZ code but on 006 stock, you can select seats in the way described above. But if you book the DL codeshare on 006 stock (and perhaps also on AZ stock), no seat assignment until close in. Very annoying.
Does that rule hold for both coach and business cabins? For both Alitalia TATL and intra-Europe?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Does that rule hold for both coach and business cabins? For both Alitalia TATL and intra-Europe?
I've noticed it on TATL J cabin. Don't know about others.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I found this problem on AZ with PE seats on TATL flights. Calls to both DL and AZ were to no avail. Also, Delta would not convert the codeshare to an AZ flight number without rebooking the flight and charging a change fee since I was past the 24-hour free cancellation period.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I found this problem on AZ with PE seats on TATL flights. Calls to both DL and AZ were to no avail. Also, Delta would not convert the codeshare to an AZ flight number without rebooking the flight and charging a change fee since I was past the 24-hour free cancellation period.
Try repeated calls. Eventually, a sociable agent will give you the AZ booking code. Others pound the party line.

They mention up front they're in Albania - which may or may not be reassuring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.