Wiki Posts
Search

Moving boxes as checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Moving boxes as checked luggage

Hi all - I'm in the process of moving some things from my folks house. Rather than ship things via FedEx, can I take them with me as "checked luggage" so long as they are within the normal dimensions/weight limits? I wouldn't think so... but would rather not show up to the airport with 3, 50lb boxes that I can't take with me.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Hi all - I'm in the process of moving some things from my folks house. Rather than ship things via FedEx, can I take them with me as "checked luggage" so long as they are within the normal dimensions/weight limits? I wouldn't think so... but would rather not show up to the airport with 3, 50lb boxes that I can't take with me.
That's fine, I've seen it way too many times.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yep. Not a problem. I would recommend having either rope or tape handles on the boxes, makes the baggage handler's life easier (and hopefully they are nicer on your boxes as a result).

http://www.sdipackaging.com/store/userfiles/editor/image/Tape-Handles.jpg
http://www.surfboardshack.com/surfin...packing-29.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cooltools_legacy/box5-sm.jpg
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:34 pm

LOL..you've obviously never flown to (or from) the Phillipines...it's ALL boxes!!!!

Seriously...must strongly support CPMavericks suggestion..... Makes your life easier moving them....makes the check in/baggage folks lives easier too...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
My wife is from the Philippines. On our last trip, we brought 5 boxes of 50lbs each. Just watch your dimensions.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Personally, I like to use the heavy duty rubbermaid tubs
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
And, as people told me correctly when I asked this question, chance of them taking out a ruler to check dimensions is near zero.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The cheapest plastic tubs you can find will do much better than boxes, especially if there is any weather and the boxes wind up sitting on a cart in the rain. Seal the tub with real packing tape and have an address on the lid, the container and inside as well.

Be careful of weight. Idf you are trying to save on Fedex Ground charges, those can be eaten up quickly by just one overweight fee.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yep. Not a problem. I would recommend having either rope or tape handles on the boxes, makes the baggage handler's life easier (and hopefully they are nicer on your boxes as a result).

http://www.sdipackaging.com/store/us...pe-Handles.jpg
http://www.surfboardshack.com/surfin...packing-29.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cooltools_legacy/box5-sm.jpg
I've done rope handles before, but unfortunately TSA usually just cuts them when they want to inspect the insides of the box. Gotta get creative and tie the rope so they can still open the box with out cutting it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Balikbayan boxes

These are extra reinforced double wall cardboard boxes sold at Filipino/Asian supermarket or remittances stores. They are at the airline limit of 20in cubed.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I have transported boxes for both work and personal use for many years, both domestic and international. I have heard that airlines require a waiver when you use a cardboard box, but I never encountered that until just a few years ago, Delta has been asking for a signed waiver that damage to the box is on you, and not them -- I suppose that means someone sued them over such damage and they are trying to protect themselves. I have no idea if the waiver actually immunizes them or otherwise limits their responsibility for taking care of your box. And whether TSA takes any responsibility when they open your box and inspects it, which has happened regularly to me. They cut the box open, but retape it with their logo tape. I've never had a problem with boxes, except that you can tell they sometimes throw or drop the box quite roughly. I wouldn't ship my laptop in a box.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Box Cover 1
Box Cover 2

If you have certain boxes that may be fragile, you can get one of these and put the box inside it for extra protection, padding, and handles.
Moving boxes always get crushed from my experience. Have moved international Asia to USA and domestic US coast to coast a handful of times in the past 6 years.

The only item that Delta requires to have in it's original/special box is a TV. It must be from the original TV box or they will not ship it. I would pad the tv box properly. I checked in a 32" and was damaged by the time we got home.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Like others I have done boxes. Pack them solidly and remember TSA may open them.

Side bar the best shipping of boxes I have done was a couple beer casks from the UK back to the states. Perfect sizing just under the size limits. More fun was the conversation with customs.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by orca15
And, as people told me correctly when I asked this question, chance of them taking out a ruler to check dimensions is near zero.
I've had agents at MSP take out a tape measure and check the size of my box multiple times. In my experience, if your box is close to the limit, your chance of being checked is definitely greater than zero.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by daloosh
I have transported boxes for both work and personal use for many years, both domestic and international. I have heard that airlines require a waiver when you use a cardboard box, but I never encountered that until just a few years ago, Delta has been asking for a signed waiver that damage to the box is on you, and not them -- I suppose that means someone sued them over such damage and they are trying to protect themselves. I have no idea if the waiver actually immunizes them or otherwise limits their responsibility for taking care of your box. And whether TSA takes any responsibility when they open your box and inspects it, which has happened regularly to me. They cut the box open, but retape it with their logo tape. I've never had a problem with boxes, except that you can tell they sometimes throw or drop the box quite roughly. I wouldn't ship my laptop in a box.
Airlines will often force you to sign a damage waiver. Not just damage to the box (people will claim compensation for cardboard damage???) but to the contents. This waiver is for damage but not loss. That way, they can throw the box from a great height and any damage is your responsibility. Therefore, I only check things that cannot be easily damaged, such as clothes and books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.