Moving boxes as checked luggage

Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I second the plastic tubs, they are much more durable, pretty cheap somewhat waterproof, and can be used later for storage purposes.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by runninaway
I've had agents at MSP take out a tape measure and check the size of my box multiple times. In my experience, if your box is close to the limit, your chance of being checked is definitely greater than zero.
I had AS force me to repack my goods once. Think I had a case of gatorade taped to paper towels. It was well secured, but didn't meet some "unpublished" rule. This was heading to a friend in BRW where things cost 3x as much, if not more. I readjusted items and got it to work
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
I have used boxes as checked luggage many times and have never had a problem; an excellent means of transporting things one-way (like if you are bringing gifts or something). L+W+H must be 62" or less; there is a standard sized box you can buy at Home Depot or Staples or U-Haul that measures 20x20x20, so that's how you could maximize volume subject to the size limits. Boxes are a highly effective means of carrying things, and since a box weighs very little, it helps you stay under the weight maximum (many pieces of luggage weigh several pounds, a box weighs maybe a pound). You will need to sign a waiver, but again, I have never had a problem.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:01 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I did this a bunch of times during my BOS->SEA move; I'd put anything that needed real protection in a hard-sided suitcase (if checked) or my rollaboard (for electronics/valuables), then fill a U-Haul book, small, or medium size box with clothes/towels/books/etc to take advantage of the extra checked bags I got as a PM. (I later made 1MM and DM because of all those SEA-BOS RTs.)

I don't remember the BOS desk ever asking me to sign a waiver for them, either.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Fly in Asia, boxes are more common than suitcases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.