Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick TATL Crossings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I would rather arrive earlier than later, and if it means you arrive when customs, etc are less busy, even better.
Virgin Atlantic has a nicely timed flight leaving Los Angeles around 5-5:30 p.m. that arrives into London around 11-11:30 a.m. I've taken that before. It works out well because by the time you deplane, make it through customs and immigration, get your bag and arrive in the Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge, you can get a late breakfast/early lunch, shower and then head into London missing all of the morning traffic. Plus, your hotel room is more likely to be ready around 1-2 p.m. than it is at 7-8 a.m. There's also a last flight out of Detroit on Delta -- I think it's literally the last flight of the night -- that works well, too. I've done that before as well. Many times I ask the red jacket at the gate to put me in the last row of economy because the last 1-2 rows are almost always blocked out. Whenever I have done this I have had the entire row to myself, allowing me to lay out across the seats and sleep in poor man's business-class.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CGNC
This makes sense. There must be a certain number that can come in at a particular hour and we would have thrown things off. If you landed on a runway at AMS that was around civilization instead of the one that requires a taxi from what seems like Rotterdam, I'd understand it even more

Yeah, glad I wasn't in J. Had a seat open next to me in coach and that was grand. A good couple days to be crossing the pond!
I like flying into Amsterdam, but the runway taxing is absurd.

There's a KLM flight from Dubai that arrives at 6 a.m., but probably early on many days if there are good winds. I flew it once and had a layover of 7 or 8 hours before my flight home. I think I made it from customs and immigration at Amsterdam's airport to the train and into the city centre in time for sunrise. It was pretty easy arriving at that time of the morning. The hardest part was buying a ticket for the train, as the kiosks wouldn't take my U.S. credit card.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I like flying into Amsterdam, but the runway taxing is absurd.
If you have an flight that will arrive at 'night' (like DL 160 MSP-AMS) then they most likely have to use that lovely runway called the Polderbaan. The long taxiing time is no surprise as the Polderbaan (18R - 36L) is closer to Haarlem than to Amsterdam.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
JFK-LHR when I came back from Christmas was about 5:47. BRUTAL for trying to get any rest!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are considerations other than curfew. Operations also may consider staffing at the other end. Ultimately, the goal is to get to the destination on time. Departure time does not really matter that much.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Often1
There are considerations other than curfew. Operations also may consider staffing at the other end. Ultimately, the goal is to get to the destination on time. Departure time does not really matter that much.
Too true...have sat in the US due to LHR arrival restrictions many times.
One reason I now try to eat dinner before the short JFK-LHR flights!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by WWads
JFK-LHR never seems worthwhile in J/F. I wish that they would not serve a meal at all and just go lights out as soon as the plane hits cruise. Feed J/F passengers in the lounge, and perhaps offer a cold plate to anyone who wants one on-board.

Seriously, 5 hours in J. What a waste.
Delta One already offers a “dine and rest” option where the entire meal is served at once.

Also you could simply ask not to be disturbed and recline at cruise with your blindfolded sleep mask securely in place.

That at said I would never pay $$ for D1 on a 5 hour TATL eastbound. It does seem a waste unless you cannot sleep without lie flat seats. I have no problem sleeping with a slight Y recline.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
random cool link if you want a graphical depiction of what the winds are doing right now (it's kinda mesmerizing in a dorky way ). Under "height" click 250mb for winds at 34,000 feet

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...4.90,38.31,814
That's wild. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mridley2

Delta One already offers a “dine and rest” option where the entire meal is served at once.

Also you could simply ask not to be disturbed and recline at cruise with your blindfolded sleep mask securely in place.

That at said I would never pay $$ for D1 on a 5 hour TATL eastbound. It does seem a waste unless you cannot sleep without lie flat seats. I have no problem sleeping with a slight Y recline.

AA does as well. Not sure what they call it off the top of my head. I intentionally avoid routing off the east coast for TATL specifically for this reason. It helps being midwest based, but even if I were on the east coast I'd still try to find something out of ORD/DFW/IAH/DEN when it comes to a redeye flight. Travel time doesn't bother me near as much as jacking up my sleep cycle.

On a day flight, that's a little different as I can wake up a few hours early and end up on schedule. I still prefer the overnight though.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Sometimes a late departure is done to assure that a gate will be available when you arrive.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I think AMS's curfew ends pretty early because many Asian arrivals come in starting in the 4:00 hour.

Looking at model upper air data over the Atlantic, the jet stream has winds of over 150kts

Throughout today, it has been in a pretty good location. Eastbound aircraft can be routed northward to take advantage of this amazing tailwind, whereas westbound aircraft can be routed further south and avoid a headwind thanks to the location of the upper clockwise flow. I feel bad for anyone who bought J/F on either direction today
It's the North Atlantic in the winter. I've seen it at +180kts
It is nice that a decent westbound track exists. i once spent 10+ hours just going FRA-Dover

Last edited by wxman22; Jan 15, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Since we're discussing JFK-LHR, just go to the VS clubhouse and eat dinner there.

Or take the morning flight and don't sleep on the plane at all. (Even better, apparently VS now has wifi on these flights.)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
Since we're discussing JFK-LHR, just go to the VS clubhouse and eat dinner there.

Or take the morning flight and don't sleep on the plane at all. (Even better, apparently VS now has wifi on these flights.)
Morning TATLs are the best! I love the 7:30AM BOS-LHR: get up a little early, get on the plane, take a nap, get some work done, land, eat dinner. Stay up until midnight to get your day length correct, wake up the next morning perfectly adjusted. No need to mess up your sleep schedule and it's perfectly comfortable to do in economy.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't make sense - you can sleep in coach on a 5 hour flight but not on, say a 6-7 hour flight?

Lots of people can't sleep in coach. I can't. I can't sleep in domestic FC either. 50-60" pitch recliners (90s-mid-2000's J) were iffy. It wasn't until angled flat that I could reliably sleep (still need Ambien else i'll wake up after an hour). Full flats are better but incrementally so (the benefit these days is mainly all direct aisle access and more storage/shelf space).

i can function fine on 4 hrs of sleep, so if I need to be productive upon arrival in Europe, it's important to get that sleep, and fly in J.

BTW, the "dine-at-once" came very quickly the other night. I think most airlines have been offering this for years and years. VS/BA went a step further and had full preflight dining on shorter TATL routes and minimal inflight service. AA also has full dining in key cities. DL - well I guess you could cobble together enough in the Skyclub not to starve.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by ijgordon
DL - well I guess you could cobble together enough in the Skyclub not to starve.
five course meal its not, but you'll be asleep anyways. The real problem is that if you sleep thru breakfast
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by audidudi
DL16 was only delayed 30 mins and will arrive at LHR at 06.06. There's a curfew until 04.30 at LHR, so it would still have arrived well after the curfew ended anyway, had it left on time! DL134 is estimated to arrive at 07.22, well after any curfew at AMS, so I don't understand the OPs thread! Neither flight would have landed during curfew hours at either airport!
The limited landing slots before 6am are very costly, so if the flight is scheduled to land after 6am, they do not have the possibility to simply show up before due to tailwinds and say here we are....therefore they recalculate departure times so as to time a landing past the 6am curfew, and not be fined considerable amounts for early arrival before 6am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.