Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New E175 with no USB charging port!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
A lot of jerk responses in this thread.
well done FT.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Duke787
This. The USB ports charge so slowly -- the only time they ever add any value is on TATL/TPAC flights that are long enough to actually incrementally add charge during the 7-14 hour flight.
It's true that some USB ports charges slow but the AC port does not generate fully current either. I actually have good luck with USB ports on newer planes. If you have a computer with smart charger, you will notice a warning that the AC outlet is under current....
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Every USB port I've checked on a DL plane was delivering under 0.5 amps. Even with a "weak" AC outlet I can get over 1 amp.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
Nothing strange about it, because charging packs are barred/discouraged on quite a few airlines... and strictly checked in China especially. If your pack does not have clearly labeled capacity, it's not getting on the plane. If you actually do travel enough, you will learn these things...
I must be lucky then. I’ve been traveling all over the world with mine and never hand an issue- China included
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by hockeystl
A frequent traveler who doesn't carry a $20 power pack in their bag? So strange.....
I don't carry one of those; perhaps I should.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by pvn
Every USB port I've checked on a DL plane was delivering under 0.5 amps. Even with a "weak" AC outlet I can get over 1 amp.
On the new eX systems, the USB port can deliver 1 to 1.2A in my experience. I think one of the issue is the existence of poor quality cables. The IFE's charging port seems to a complex but conservative load/current detection system the err on the side of low current. I have a braided high quality cable that's constantly pulling at least 1A. For those aircrafts with the old 3000i IFE and the USB port is under the seat, I've gotten 0.7 to 0.8A on a lucky day...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:29 pm

Try getting one of these:
PortaPow Data Blocker USB Adaptor with SmartCharge PortaPow Data Blocker USB Adaptor with SmartCharge
they're handy in rental cars and have good luck with them charging on planes as well.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetblue-jfk-roc
Try getting one of these: PortaPow Data Blocker USB Adaptor with SmartCharge they're handy in rental cars and have good luck with them charging on planes as well.
You don't need to spend the money on this... Most cheap cables available at local retailers or given away at tradeshows do not have the USB data lines connected. In fact, just look for the "charge only" cables... This is not some new scandal with unknown systems deliver virus over USB charging port... it's well known for years... many many many cables are charge only and if you cut open the cable, there are just power, ground and shield. Actually, it's getting harder to find a good cable that actually provide data connections as well.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:59 am
pvn
Suspended

modern phone operating systems won't let unknown systems start connecting without asking for confirmation from the user anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Delete
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP claims Southwest Companion Pass status. I wonder how many USB power ports he has found on Southwest aircraft.
How would you know? I presume cause you have millions of miles on Delta and whatever else, you don't ever fly Southwest.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
How would you know? I presume cause you have millions of miles on Delta and whatever else, you don't ever fly Southwest.
we would know because we can do this amazing magical high-tech thing called a "google search" and find out exactly how many WN planes have in-seat power (answer: zero)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
we would know because we can do this amazing magical high-tech thing called a "google search" and find out exactly how many WN planes have in-seat power (answer: zero)
And yes, going back to the poster I quoted, there is this amazing thing called credit cards airline points, which means you can get Southwest Companion Pass "status" without ever flying or spending on Southwest Airlines!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And yes, going back to the poster I quoted, there is this amazing thing called credit cards airline points, which means you can get Southwest Companion Pass "status" without ever flying or spending on Southwest Airlines!
And? Is he wrong about in-seat power?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pvn
And? Is he wrong about in-seat power?
Yes. He's wrong the OP cannot complain about no USB charging port, just because Southwest doesn't have them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.