FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   First time in US after introduction of Basic Economy - question? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1888098-first-time-us-after-introduction-basic-economy-question.html)

Danusa86 Jan 13, 2018 6:09 am

First time in US after introduction of Basic Economy - question?

Hi All,

I'm a European based member who is SkyTeam Elite+ thanks to an Air France Gold membership.

During my previous trips to the U.S. I've flown many times with Delta and enjoyed SkyPriority services thanks to the SE+ card.

I will be coming back soon and I need to book a flight from Edmonton, Canada to San Diego, California. Now, I can choose whether book a basic economy fare (E) or main cabin (T). I don't know basic economy that well so I'd like to ask you a question:

Provided that I'm not too fussed about not being able to have a preferred seat (short flight) or upgrade (unlikely anyway given the low priority given to AF Golds), all I'd like to know is

1) Do Basic Economy flyers who have a SE+ card still enjoy SkyClub access? (I'm entitled as this is an international itinerary, just not sure if the E class changes anything, not mentioned on Delta's website)

2) Will I still be able to check a bag free of charge (as I'm entitled to according to SkyTeam rules)?

Thank you very much!

ncwillett Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Danusa86 (Post 29287467)
I will be coming back soon and I need to book a flight from Edmonton, Canada to San Diego, California. Now, I can choose whether book a basic economy fare (E) or main cabin (T). I don't know basic economy that well so I'd like to ask you a question:
1) Do Basic Economy flyers who have a SE+ card still enjoy SkyClub access? (I'm entitled as this is an international itinerary, just not sure if the E class changes anything, not mentioned on Delta's website)

2) Will I still be able to check a bag free of charge (as I'm entitled to according to SkyTeam rules)?

1). In general, yes, SE+ can access the Sky Club on international flights including Canada-US. To my knowledge, there is no Sky Club at Edmonton so for your itinerary you could enter the club if connecting at a DL hub, ex. ATL or DTW.SkyTeam Elite Plus® (including Delta Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion® Members) traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international flight* or a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international flight (includes same-day travel on a Delta domestic flight connecting to an international Delta—or any other SkyTeam partner—flight). If traveling on an international itinerary, please show a frequent flyer credential for lounge access.Note: SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at the departure airport and not at the arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying SkyTeam flight. SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits do not include access to third-party business lounges.

2) I know that if one has the Delta Amex that allows a free bag, they can use that option to check a free bag when traveling BE, so I assume the same is true for baggage allowed via one's DE+ status.

bennos Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 29287632)
In general, yes, SE+ can access the Sky Club on international flights including Canada-US. To my knowledge, there is no Sky Club at Edmonton so for your itinerary you could enter the club if connecting at a DL hub, ex. ATL or DTW.

More generally, I don't know of any lounges accessible for DL transborder flights from Canada to the US. Major Canadian airports (including Edmonton) have US Preclearance, meaning you clear immigration before you get on your flight, and so there are three separate areas in the major airports: Domestic (Canada), Transborder (US), and International. So even if there is (say) an AF lounge (eg: YUL), it will be in the International section and you can't reach it from Transborder.

Danusa86 Jan 13, 2018 9:02 am

This flight is a combination of 3 short flights: YEG-SEA, SEA-LAX, LAX-SAN so I assume that even if flying BE I shall be granted access in SEA and LAX?

Bretmd Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am

If you are entitled to be waitlisted for an upgrade, you do have a shot at it on your flights to and from SEA- at least to comfort plus. I've been on several SEA flights where the entire list is upgraded to at least C+ including SEA to AUS last night. I've been on two SEA to LAX flights where the entire list was upgraded to first.

ncwillett Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Danusa86 (Post 29287900)
This flight is a combination of 3 short flights: YEG-SEA, SEA-LAX, LAX-SAN so I assume that even if flying BE I shall be granted access in SEA and LAX?

Yes. What I quoted above in italics if from the DL website. It clearly states that Sky Team Elite+ traveling in ANY cabin on an international flight, is granted access.

xliioper Jan 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 29288026)
If you are entitled to be waitlisted for an upgrade, you do have a shot at it on your flights to and from SEA- at least to comfort plus. I've been on several SEA flights where the entire list is upgraded to at least C+ including SEA to AUS last night. I've been on two SEA to LAX flights where the entire list was upgraded to first.

BE fares are not upgrade eligible via.any mechanism.

Bretmd Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29288866)
BE fares are not upgrade eligible via.any mechanism.

Correct - I should have expanded my statement to suggest that a regular economy ticket might be considered for these routes if OP can be waitlisted.

RaflW Jan 13, 2018 2:57 pm

I've never flown Basic econ - but I am curious. I take it seats are assigned at the gate, so there isn't even the option of re-selecting to an open seat, right? Any time I fly DL now, it seems there are 15-30 people (or more) on the 'standby' list, and I am guessing some of those are SDCs, but most are really seat-requests, not true standby. And DL has been packing 'em in on my flights, no or almost no empty seats at all once everyone clears, so pickings are slim!

IOW, for folks from other countries - this is not like flying KL or SAS intra-Europe where most people pick their seats at OLCI, right? You get assigned whatever is left at about T-45, and no reseating (unless one is good at sweet talking the gate agent).

21A Jan 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW (Post 29289097)
IOW, for folks from other countries - this is not like flying KL or SAS intra-Europe where most people pick their seats at OLCI, right? You get assigned whatever is left at about T-45, and no reseating (unless one is good at sweet talking the gate agent).

No, this isn’t correct — at 24h ahead, if any non-blocked, non-preferred seats are available, the seat map opens to allow selecting them. If such seats are available OLCI will automatically assign them as well. They can also be changed later, UNLESS you got an “assigned at gate”/seat request card (at which point only a GA can assign). Not sure why DL doesn’t make this more clear in their documentation, as it seems to be a very common question.

hi55us Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by 21A (Post 29289578)

No, this isn’t correct — at 24h ahead, if any non-blocked, non-preferred seats are available, the seat map opens to allow selecting them. If such seats are available OLCI will automatically assign them as well. They can also be changed later, UNLESS you got an “assigned at gate”/seat request card (at which point only a GA can assign). Not sure why DL doesn’t make this more clear in their documentation, as it seems to be a very common question.

I think the confusion comes in how all 3 of the US3 have implimented different versions of BE. For instance United does not allow you to choose your seat at T-24, it assigns it randomly and you can't change it.