FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Need metal advice for trip to Rome, Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1887980-need-metal-advice-trip-rome-italy.html)

Porter2112 Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Need metal advice for trip to Rome, Italy

I am looking at 2-leg (each way) trips this Fall from MCO to Rome with my wife in a Delta One cabin. I realize that it's usually just standard domestic first class for Legs 1 (out) and 4 (return). For the Delta One Legs 2 and 3, does anyone have a preference as to which aircraft to choose?

My choices seem to be:
Airbuss 330-300
767-400
Alitalia 777-200-200ER

Is one lie-flat pod better than another or is it just a crapshoot as far as which metal got revamped with which type of seat?

manacit Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I, and a good portion of this board, will tell you to stay away from the 767-400 "coffin" seats - they are widely (and, IMO, correctly) identified as the worst D1 seats that DL puts in the air. The A330 on the other hand are one of the best - given Alitalia's perpetually precarious position around going out of business, I would highly recommend the DL-metal A330 as being your best option.

flyerwma Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Porter2112 (Post 29284871)
I am looking at 2-leg (each way) trips this Fall from MCO to Rome with my wife in a Delta One cabin. I realize that it's usually just standard domestic first class for Legs 1 (out) and 4 (return). For the Delta One Legs 2 and 3, does anyone have a preference as to which aircraft to choose?

My choices seem to be:
Airbuss 330-300
767-400
Alitalia 777-200-200ER

Is one lie-flat pod better than another or is it just a crapshoot as far as which metal got revamped with which type of seat?

People have reported issues with getting advanced seat assignments on AZ operated flights when purchased as a DL codeshare. So if you are buying flight number DLxxxx rather than AZxxxx, this may be relevant to you.

Otherwise, people generally prefer the A330 over the 764. You'll find most here don't like the J cabin on the 764 -- the claim it's narrow and coffin like. Personally, I find it totally fine. But others definitely have that view.

Slow learner Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm

It's all personal preference but the A-330 is a larger (wider) aircraft and just feels roomier.

javabytes Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Avoid the DL 767 eastbound overnight. For a daytime westbound flight, the 767 is fine. Pick the bulkhead for extra large foot wells.

For your overnght flight, consider the distance also. I'd much rather fly ATL-FCO than JFK-FCO, as the longer flight means a better shot at a decent sleep. JFK to pretty much anywhere in Europe sucks... if you choose to take the meal, you barely get a nap before it's time to land.

jalves Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm

We haven't flown the Alitalia 777 so can't comment on the comfort or service on those flights. However we've done both the DL 767 & A330 and there's no question to us that the A330 is the better D1 choice.

KingBraden Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm

I preferred the az business on the a330 to the Delta, but it was a small preference based on better soft product and worse hard.

muishkin Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm going to suggest Alitalia as well for the superb soft product and cabin crew service. The bankruptcy thing is a risk that you have to take but worst case you'll be re-booked to a Delta metal.

DLATL777 Jan 13, 2018 8:22 am

Alitalia all the way. Fly the "Couples Suite" on Alitalia in business and kick Delta to the dirt. Enjoy better seats, service, and food. Enjoy!

Randyk47 Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by manacit (Post 29284910)
I, and a good portion of this board, will tell you to stay away from the 767-400 "coffin" seats - they are widely (and, IMO, correctly) identified as the worst D1 seats that DL puts in the air. The A330 on the other hand are one of the best - given Alitalia's perpetually precarious position around going out of business, I would highly recommend the DL-metal A330 as being your best option.

I second this comment. We flew ATL>FCO last November on a 767-400 and the D1 seat was awful. Most uncomfortable overnight flight to Europe we’ve ever had. Flew back CDG>ATL on a DL A330 and it was great. We have already decided we’ll avoid 767-400’s at almost any cost.

3Cforme Jan 13, 2018 9:19 am

To the OP:

If you're much above male median height - say, over 6'2" - you're going to run out of bed length.

If you're morbidly obese, you're going to find the width confining.

Otherwise, the DL 764 in business offers a lie-flat seat with aisle access. There are many worse seats going TATL every day -- including every seat in coach and every seat in premium economy of every carrier.

flying_donkeys12 Jan 13, 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 29287948)
To the OP:

If you're much above male median height - say, over 6'2" - you're going to run out of bed length.

If you're morbidly obese, you're going to find the width confining.

Otherwise, the DL 764 in business offers a lie-flat seat with aisle access. There are many worse seats going TATL every day -- including every seat in coach and every seat in premium economy of every carrier.

you do know male median height is roughly 5' 9"? Regardless, the 767 is perfectly fine for day flights. The A330 however is the plane I seek out when making travel plans with delta. Very comfortable seats, just wish they would give you a mattress pad to sleep on.

Throw Down Your Leavy Screens Jan 13, 2018 11:08 am

My limited D1 experience has been on 2 DL 333's, DTW-FCO and TLV-JFK. I'm 6'-3" so my feet were generally touching the wall of the footwell. I could compensate for that by having my seat not-quite flat. But what I found more annoying was that my inside leg (relative to the aisle) always seemed like it had to wrap around the base of the seat in front of me, so I couldn't really extend it straight.

Even with those constraints, I've gotten the best sleep on an airplane I've ever had in D1 -- maybe 3-4 (interrupted) hours DTW-FCO and about 5-6 (interrupted) hours TLV-JFK. Normally you can measure the amount of sleep I get on an airplane in milliseconds.

Given the opportunity, I would definitely book D1 seats on a DL 333 again.

RaflW Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm perhaps the rare person who had a great night's sleep in a 764. But I would only recommend the window seats that are next to the window (odd numbers A and D sides - my partner and I were in 3 and 5, we don't need to sit near each other when we're about to have 8 days of travel togetherness). I'm also 6'2" and not petite, but for a right side sleeper 5D on the 764 was good. Left side sleepers might prefer the A side? It's open to the sidewalll of the a/c.

Maybe I was extra tired that flight - and it was MSP-FCO, so it was long enough after dinner to actually sleep. Also the IFE was poor, so limited distractions! If the 764 is ATL-FCO, and the A330 JFK-FCO, as mentioned upthread, I'd at least consider the 764 for the longer rest time between meals (assuming your leg 1 is not impacted too much by choosing ATL connection).

I do like the DL A330 in J, it is overall more comfortable than 763/764. It's a great choice for the return, since that is a movie day for me. I just think the gap in sleep comfort is small, though obviously some FTers think it is a comfort chasm.