Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Tells Delta Not To Mention Taiwan and Tibet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

Delta flies into China trouble over Tibet and Taiwan - Jan. 12, 2018

The folks in power get to pick what your map looks like.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by RRDD
Delta flies into China trouble over Tibet and Taiwan - Jan. 12, 2018

The folks in power get to pick what your map looks like.
They're right that Tibet, Hong Kong and Macao are now part of the People's Republic of China. Like it or not.

But part of China (Taiwan, Republic of China) is not. Like it or not.
jacobguo, Zeeb, SoroSuub1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by GaryD
They're right that Tibet, Hong Kong and Macao are now part of the People's Republic of China. Like it or not.

But part of China (Taiwan, Republic of China) is not. Like it or not.
I don't think they have a problem with that. As you state, the RoC is part of China, but not part of the PRC. I think that's pretty much canon for the PRC too.

You can list them as separate entity (but not a country), no one will bat an eye - basically they're part of Greater China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_China) - something not even the most Anti-PRC people will deny.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'm clearly not made out to be a politician because I've never understood why everyone dances around the fact that Taiwan is an independent country. I saw a similar thread in the Marriott forum and the Marriott CEO's statement had a tone that was like he was apologizing for murdering somebody.
strickerj and lupine like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'm clearly not made out to be a politician because I've never understood why everyone dances around the fact that Taiwan is an independent country. I saw a similar thread in the Marriott forum and the Marriott CEO's statement had a tone that was like he was apologizing for murdering somebody.
This. It’s absurd how we walk on eggshells when dealing with China.
jonathanbak and lupine like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:45 am

Please go find me a legal document anywhere on the planet that says "Taiwan" is a sovereign country... (not under any current laws in Taiwan, or international laws/treaties, for that matter) - (copyright by geometry..)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Please go find me a legal document anywhere on the planet that says "Taiwan" is a sovereign country... (not under any current laws in Taiwan, or international laws/treaties, for that matter) - (copyright by geometry..)
I'm not going to take this to Omni territory so I'll leave it at this. If I, or the vast majority of people in the world, want to book a flight to Taipei, or a hotel room in Taichung City, or a rental car in Tainan, or whatever... I'm going to do a search for Taiwan. If I don't see Taiwan in the drop down menu I'm going to assume that whatever brand I'm searching doesn't offer anything in Taiwan and I'm going to look elsewhere. I'm not going to say "oh yeah, there is a weird diplomatic thing and I should search for China instead".
jj243, redadeco, lupine and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:12 am

I'm not going to take this to Omni territory so I'll leave it at this. If I, or the vast majority of people in the world, want to book a flight to Taipei, or a hotel room in Taichung City, or a rental car in Tainan, or whatever... I'm going to do a search for Taiwan. If I don't see Taiwan in the drop down menu I'm going to assume that whatever brand I'm searching doesn't offer anything in Taiwan and I'm going to look elsewhere. I'm not going to say "oh yeah, there is a weird diplomatic thing and I should search for China instead".
I don't know how you search for a hotel, but I simply put in the city name. I'd never write "Spain" first, then "Valencia". I'd simply type "Vale..." and at that point it would already display it to me. A website not using a user friendly interface doesn't get my business.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
That’s nothing. Fly any of the Arab airlines and look at the flight map when you get to the ME. Something is conspicuously missing. ;-)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:25 am

Well there are over 20 countries who formally recognize it as a sovereign nation and maintain diplomatic relations. And a lot more that abstain from making any kind of distinction.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by strickerj

This. It’s absurd how we walk on eggshells when dealing with China.
Douglas MacArthur didn’t. Look what happened to him .
windscar likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:34 am

So what country is Kinmen (KNH) in? Not People's Republic of China, and not Taiwan. <mind blown>
jacobguo likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Well there are over 20 countries who formally recognize it as a sovereign nation and maintain diplomatic relations. And a lot more that abstain from making any kind of distinction.
You're aware this are all tiny, non-important countries (on a global economical scale), like Belize, Burkina Faso, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis that are getting paid by the RoC gouvernment for recognizing them?

Oh, and actually not a single one of them does recognize the PRC, so basically they ALL agree there is only one China. I don't think this needs any further arguments..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I don't think they have a problem with that. As you state, Canada is part of North America, but not part of the USA. I think that's pretty much canon for the USA too.

You can list them as separate entity (but not a country), no one will bat an eye - basically they're part of North America (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America) - something not even the most Anti-USA people will deny.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:42 am

You're aware this are all tiny, non-important countries (on a global economical scale), like Belize, Burkina Faso, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis that are getting paid by the RoC gouvernment for recognizing them?

Oh, and actually not a single one of them does recognize the PRC, so basically they ALL agree there is only one China. I don't think this needs any further arguments..
Your stance on this, as well as your argument is a little ridiculous. If I were you, I'd be the one to abstain from any further arguments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.