Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No longer able to call in after booking to upgrade to Comfort+ for int'l flights

No longer able to call in after booking to upgrade to Comfort+ for int'l flights

Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

According to a Delta rep I spoke to yesterday you can no longer call in to upgrade an international flight from coach to Comfort + after booking online. This is a bummer because I have the Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa card which has a $450 annual fee but offers a $300 airline credit towards seat ugrades. Since I am Gold Medallion I don't need to pay for domestic seat upgrades and I use this credit to upgrade international flights from coach to comfort +. Anybody else heard this?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What is the route, aircraft, and travel date(s)?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

It was more of a general question but the route I was looking at was JFK -> FCO on May 2 with return FCO -> JFK on May 11 (both nonstop, and the pure Delta flights vs. the Alitalia codeshare).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You didn't try HUCA? Sounds strange, DL usually likes to take people's $$.
nycbb likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

I tried to give benefit of the doubt but just did that and was told the first rep was incorrect and she doesn't know what he was talking about
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
At some point this spring aren't the TATL flights going to C+ as a fare class (as domestic, TPAC, etc). That means it is not an additional fee but rather a refare.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Comfort+ is no longer an upgrade to purchase as an add-on to your ticket. It is a fare category that you select upon initial booking. PM and DM can still get that as a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking, GM 72 hours before departure, and FO 24 hours before departure, all assuming availability.

It has been this way for several months now.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
At some point this spring aren't the TATL flights going to C+ as a fare class (as domestic, TPAC, etc). That means it is not an additional fee but rather a refare.
They have already switched to making it a separate fare class on TATL. They had to finish moving AF/VS/AZ PE fares from W to P/A/G fare classes and that was completed last year, so now C+ is a separate W fare class. However, even before the switch GM's had to wait until the 72 hour mark to request a C+ seat. No it is processed as an upgrade (also beginning as 72 hour mark for GM's).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Comfort+ is no longer an upgrade to purchase as an add-on to your ticket. It is a fare category that you select upon initial booking. PM and DM can still get that as a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking, GM 72 hours before departure, and FO 24 hours before departure, all assuming availability.

It has been this way for several months now.
Then, how did the OP do it after HUCA?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nycbb
It was more of a general question but the route I was looking at was JFK -> FCO on May 2 with return FCO -> JFK on May 11 (both nonstop, and the pure Delta flights vs. the Alitalia codeshare).
One can't generalize. There are aircraft with Premium Select but not Comfort+. As noted with other posts, some areas use Comfort+ as a separate fare class, not an upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Maybe the second agent just reissued the ticket, especially if it was within the 24-hour free cancellation period. If you do a search on delta.com for the OPís dates and route the results will show five options: BE, Main Cabin, Comfort+, Premium Economy, Delta 1. On the flights with PE, the box for C+ will say Not Offered. If the flight does not offer PE, then a price for C+ will be displayed.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
He got lucky and found a generous agent? Bottomline, GM's have not had access to C+ at time of booking for 3+ years now. First, DL only allowed "access" at the 72 hour mark for GM's, and now it is an "upgrade" based on bucket inventory starting at the 72 hour mark.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
He got lucky and found a generous agent? Bottomline, GM's have not had access to C+ at time of booking for 3+ years now. First, DL only allowed "access" at the 72 hour mark for GM's, and now it is an "upgrade" based on bucket inventory starting at the 72 hour mark.
He wasn't looking for a free upgrade, so the 72 hour window is irrelevant.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
They have already switched to making it a separate fare class on TATL. They had to finish moving AF/VS/AZ PE fares from W to P/A/G fare classes and that was completed last year, so now C+ is a separate W fare class. However, even before the switch GM's had to wait until the 72 hour mark to request a C+ seat. No it is processed as an upgrade (also beginning as 72 hour mark for GM's).
Maybe that is what was confusing the rep but either way you can call in after whether it's a seat upgrade or change in fare.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that it's now a refare, it's going to require either going through your original booking agency, or having DL taking over the ticket (which has a $50 fee). There is more complexity here than you seem to realize.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.