Overhead etiquette question

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
Just boarded an E170 United Express flight DCA-EWR. I was the third passenger to board (Group 1) after two folks who boarded when they called for disabilities. Those two folks were placing their bags up over row 7 and as one said to the other “I always put my bag up front so I can get off quicklly“, then they both walked to the back. Since no one else was boarding yet, I asked the FA and he said there is no policy about bags and he can not say anything to passengers about overhead space, so they can put them whererever they want, regardless of where they are seated. I only asked because in the past I have boarded and not had any room left in 1st on that aircraft for my bag. Is that really correct that there is no policy and the FA is not supposed to say anything ?
Is there a placard in the bins like on DELTA? It says reserved for FC passengers only. If so then they're violating a posted placard.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I think I am more annoyed by the "can I put my backpack/bag/bowling ball/etc. on top of your bag" (when what I have is a backpack) NO you cant! First off I am in the bulkhead so it would be nice to get my bag out when we get above X feet without a bunch of crap falling on me but more importantly I would like my sensitive & delicate electronic items in my bag to still function when I land. More annoying is when its a backpack and the person has room under the seat in front of them.

Please note I said I was in the bulkhead so I DONT have the option to put my bag infront of me.
I travel with a pack that could easily lay flat in the overhead bins. But I have learned to place it in the bins on its side which gives it more profile to be seen and not have another bag shove on top or in front of it. That alleviates issues like what is being described regardless if one is a bulkhead or regular seat.

The fact that the person may have room under the seat in front of them is moot to the discussion. In my case that is where my feet need to go durign the flight.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
If you don't like it that's fine, but its a valid question for somebody to ask and 99% of people are going to say yes to the request. Honestly they're just being polite by asking. If there's room in the bin most people wouldn't think twice about just tossing their stuff up there without asking about it.
More than being a valid question it isn't the poster's space. There is a limited space for bags, and requiring additional space is wrong. If your bags cannot handle the pressure of a coat it may be time to reconsider how you treat your invaluable electronics.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
More annoying is when its a backpack and the person has room under the seat in front of them.

Please note I said I was in the bulkhead so I DONT have the option to put my bag infront of me.
No this is not "annoying". When I carry-on just my backpack, I still put it in the OH bin. That there is space "under the seat in front of me" where it could go is irrelevant. I choose to check my suitcase instead so I can put one item in the OH bin and still have the room under the seat in front of me to stretch out. This is still a win-win for you, me, and everyone else because my backpack takes up less room than my roll-a-board would, thus still leaving more room for your and everyone else's bag while I still get the benefit of having better comfort. If you'd prefer, I can instead put my backpack in a roll-a-board sized suitcase so that it takes up more room in the OH bin and CANNOT go under the seat in front of me, thus still being a "win" for me as I still get the comfort aspect, yet a "lose" for everyone else as there is now less room because my larger roll-a-board is now taking up more bin space than just my backpack would.
gooselee, Zeeb and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Heck with that! If you don’t know how to stow your bag properly to maximize bin space, I’m doing it for you, like it or not. Just like I’ll move your shopping cart for you if you’re blocking the isle or I’ll speak to your child if you allow them to rampage unchecked in an inappropriate setting.

I’ll even pull bags out and hand them to people after we land.

I’m a damn Luggage Ninja. It’s how I roll. ;-p
Reminds me of the time at the grocery when a guy decided to put his stuff on the belt while I was in the process of emptying my cart. Now, any idiot can tell I need space to finish my work, but NO!! he has to get his stuff on right now. I pushed back, in the process wrinkling his newspaper (the horror!). When he yelled at me for defacing his paper, I yelled back that he wasn't going to get out of the store any quicker by loading the belt early. He mumbled something about not trying to get through quicker, then shut up.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: delta, hilton
Agreed. I always check my suitcase, and put my backpack in the overhead bin. My backpack normally has $2k worth of electronics that I travel with for work, and no way do I want that near my feet. I have had more than one occastion been asked by the attendant to put it under the seat instead of in the bin, I always refuse. I also watch it during the boarding process to make sure no one tries to cram stuff in around it where it shouldn't be.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
What's wrong with $2k worth of electronics near your feet? I have more than that in my backpack and it's usually under the seat.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a zero-sum game for passengers. Just like many things.

In a typical narrow-body mainline aircraft there is not enough OH space to accomodate all "legal" carry-ons. That is even true in F and C+ where there is theoretically dedicated space.

Better FA's appreciate this and enforce the rules rather than pleasing customer A at the expense of late-boarding customer B. There are those who will accept a refusal to place a small bag under the seat and there are those who will offer the option of gate-checking if the bag is not moved.

The ultimate solution is to further limit carry-ons and enforce those rules. I'm all for the tough enforcement of "under seat" and thus allow the OH to deal with as many larger bags as possible.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Often1

In a typical narrow-body mainline aircraft there is not enough OH space to accomodate all "legal" carry-ons. That is even true in F and C+ where there is theoretically dedicated space.

Better FA's appreciate this and enforce the rules rather than pleasing customer A at the expense of late-boarding customer B. There are those who will accept a refusal to place a small bag under the seat and there are those who will offer the option of gate-checking if the bag is not moved.

The ultimate solution is to further limit carry-ons and enforce those rules. I'm all for the tough enforcement of "under seat" and thus allow the OH to deal with as many larger bags as possible.
The last time I checked my rollaboard so I could put my smaller bag in the OH instead of where my feet want to go, the FA insisted I put the smaller bag under the seat in front of me. I won’t make that mistake again. My rollaboard always gets rolled aboard now and it takes up twice as much room in the bin as my smaller bag. Brilliant.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry for the novice question, but what is the minimum size rollaboard that will not fit under the seat?

Originally Posted by pvn
What's wrong with $2k worth of electronics near your feet? I have more than that in my backpack and it's usually under the seat.
I thought I read in another thread just recently that someone spilled a drink and it got into the bag under the seat. (Of course, it was reported from the point of view of the owner of the bag, not the person spilling a drink.) If I'm remembering correctly, that would be something wrong with electronics (and many other things) being under the seat.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dalehill

The last time I checked my rollaboard so I could put my smaller bag in the OH instead of where my feet want to go, the FA insisted I put the smaller bag under the seat in front of me. I won’t make that mistake again. My rollaboard always gets rolled aboard now and it takes up twice as much room in the bin as my smaller bag. Brilliant.
I think the FA's reasoning is wrong, and the policy should be maximum 1 bag in the OH compartment. I shouldn't be punished because I can pack a bag and think about what I need when I travel - and pay to check a bag when needed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: delta, hilton
i put my feet down there, and I want to reduce my risk of damage as much as possible. Also i like having the extra room for my feet.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there's really an answer to this "conundrum" of overhead vs. underseat that will satisfy everyone.
If all pax were entitled to put one bag in the overhead, there wouldn't be enough space for everyone.

So if you only bring on a backpack and insist on putting it in the overhead, frankly, that makes you selfish. Not wrong, just selfish. (Unless you're in bulkhead and have no choice).

Of course anyone bringing on two bags could also be seen as being selfish (*especially* if they are both put in the overhead -- again exempting bulkheads).

The overheads are shared space. The more of it you use, the more selfish you are. Getting a full/nearly full plane out will require some/many passengers to put smaller bags under the seat in front. Fortunately, many passengers don't have an issue doing this voluntarily, and it's actually more convenient. But get a plane full of FTers and it seems there won't be enough room overhead.

Not sure I really buy the "$2k worth of electronics" argument. Any business laptop worth its salt is worth that much alone. They should also be backed up and insured. And how often does a glass of water spill without someone realizing it before the damage is actually done?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Often1

Agreed, recent bulk head flight FA closed the first three OH bins. I boarded late and went "crap" in my head. FA saw my face and said are you the last bulkhead? I said yes. She opens the empty bin and says youre all set She had closed them so bulkhead had a place to put our bags. Then when all bulkheads (me being last) were on board she helped others by letting them put their bags in. No overhead space wasted and was a smart way to make me happy. Gave her a JWD for it!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
My bag is always under my seat, and I've never had any problem with liquids. Obviously it's possible that something will happen but it would take an obscene amount to go through a bag plus padding etc and damage a laptop.

As for legroom, sure, everyone likes more legroom ceteris paribus, but in that case the value of the bag contents isn't really material

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.