Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You've got to be joking. $16k to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I booked a trip LAX-JFK-DUB a week or so ago for the first week in Feb. Before competing the booking I checked that there were C+ aisle seats. That seat map shows all cabins and I noticed that both JFK-DUB and DUB-JFK were pretty much empty in D1 -- maybe a couple seats greyed out. Thinking maybe they might have a deal, I checked the D1 prices and they were all north of $10K -- even checked surrounding days.

I won't waste a GUC on this trip as JFK is pretty close to half way (about an hour more on the overwater leg)

Update: Just checked and the D1 fare for my days is down to just under $7K -- better but still high. My coach ticket was $550. Wont hit $25K MQDs that way
It's the exact same bug. The outbound fare listings are showing erroneous "lowest" RT fares. However, once you actually select an outbound flight, you will find there are actually much lower RT fares available. No one is buying these fares because they are not actual fare quotes. In order to actually buy a RT ticket, you have to select both an outbound AND a return flight. You are missing the big picture by just looking at the outbound flights and fare listings without actually selecting any of them because the RT fares listed on the initial outbound flights page is incorrect. It's only after you actually select one of them that you can see that. Not sure which part of this is confusing to people. Go ahead and search LAX-DUB for 2/14 - 2/21 and then actually select an outbound flight (instead of just looking at the initial listings) and you will see what is happening.

teoronn likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I've seen cabin photos of the Concorde. It looked like a CRJ. I guess it was tolerable for 3-4 hours.
I flew Concorde twice in the early 90's -- once on AF and once on BA. While the cabin was small, it was an amazing experience. You could talk to the pilots mid-flight, they served vintage Dom Perignon, and you could hobnob with the real "Jetset." It was a fun experience, especially for a 20-something nobody who thought he was somebody. Watching the sun rise in Paris, and then watching it rise again in NYC a few hours later was pretty impressive.

Worth. Every. Penny.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I flew Concorde twice in the early 90's -- once on AF and once on BA. While the cabin was small, it was an amazing experience. You could talk to the pilots mid-flight, they served vintage Dom Perignon, and you could hobnob with the real "Jetset." It was a fun experience, especially for a 20-something nobody who thought he was somebody. Watching the sun rise in Paris, and then watching it rise again in NYC a few hours later was pretty impressive.

Worth. Every. Penny.
Oh no doubt I'm sure it was an awesome experience. I spoke to a guy once who took the BA Concorde a few times a year. He said his company would usually only put him on the Concorde for the outbound flight and then business class on the 747 returning. I guess getting him back home wasn't as time sensitive.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Delta
I've been watching [various]-AMS for a couple of weeks now, as I won't have the $$$ until mid-March.

Since this past weekend, the non-refundable D1 fare has been all over the charts. $3K, then $15K-17K six hours later. Next day back to ~$3500. Bouncing back up to $16K. After I picked myself up from the floor, I figured (hoping) it's some sort of computer glitch.

My Google Flight alerts have been going berserk. For instance, emails on SIX price changes in the space of 15 minutes.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
I've been watching [various]-AMS for a couple of weeks now, as I won't have the $$$ until mid-March.

Since this past weekend, the non-refundable D1 fare has been all over the charts. $3K, then $15K-17K six hours later. Next day back to ~$3500. Bouncing back up to $16K. After I picked myself up from the floor, I figured (hoping) it's some sort of computer glitch.

My Google Flight alerts have been going berserk. For instance, emails on SIX price changes in the space of 15 minutes.
Once again the "lowest" fares for D1 flights shown on the initial outbound flight listings page are not correct. You need to actually select a flight to see the "real" lowest fares available.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:16 am

Seriously you're joking!

Some problem exists in the system.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: DL GM

Systems issues aside, I've been surprised as how expensive tickets to Europe have been this year. $2900 for round trip Economy tickets even when months out? $4k - $5600 for Premium Economy? Yikes.

Keith
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HornsKeith
Systems issues aside, I've been surprised as how expensive tickets to Europe have been this year. $2900 for round trip Economy tickets even when months out? $4k - $5600 for Premium Economy? Yikes.

Keith
You are doing a one-way fare search for the above. Discount roundtrip fares on this route (which require a Saturday night stay) go for $1464 in coach, $2360 in PE, and $5086 in D1. Being DTW, DL is not going to offer competitive fares. JFK-ARN goes for $576 in coach and $2800 in D1 in April.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by LBJ
You are doing a one-way fare search for the above. Discount roundtrip fares on this route (which require a Saturday night stay)
You're not kidding about the impact of the Saturday night stay. Shifting the exact same flights by one day (and not starting in DTW) drops the price from $4k to $1600. Too bad there's almost never a business argument for staying overnight on a Saturday.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Worth. Every. Penny.
I did it as part of the "going away sale" shortly before they retired it. BA was running fare sales, I think it was $3/4/5/6k for one-way Concorde, one-way Y/PE/J/F.
Cabin was definitely better than an RJ, probably a bit more spacious than the E190s. Seats were probably roughly similar to PE (no legrests) -- maybe 36-38" pitch, and just enough wider than coach to not be uncomfortable. No center console between the two seats though. Seat was well-fitted and "cradled" back so was fairly comfortable. But it was more about the service (in addition to the speed). Jon BonJovi was on my flight after he did a concert in Hyde Park. Very festive atmosphere. Unfortunately I don't remember what champagne was served (though I remember in BA F it was Pol Roger cuvee Winston Churchill). But I digress.

US to Europe you really need a few of these things to happen to be "forced" into paying $10k+ r/t for business class to Europe these days:
1) Nonstop from non-competitive market
2) Refundable
3) Close-in purchase
4) No Saturday night stay
5) Nearly full flight

#2-4 could be true, and you can still probably manage an $8k r/t fare, say on JFK-LHR.
But if *none* of those are the case, you should almost always be able to find something for $3-5k booking 2-3 months ahead.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by LBJ
Once again the "lowest" fares for D1 flights shown on the initial outbound flight listings page are not correct. You need to actually select a flight to see the "real" lowest fares available.
I am searching for a 3 week trip so Saturday night stay rule covered, round trip, not using awards or cash+miles, logged in etc. IOW, I'm paying full price for D1.
I go thru the process up to the passenger/payment page.

Are you saying there's cheaper pricing after that page?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Whether $16,000 is an error fare or not -- me doubts the airline's auditors will cancel an overpriced error fare ticket like they do an underpriced error fare ticket -- don't forget that Delta limits the number of miles you can receiveat 75,000 miles per ticket

Essentially, if my math is correct, you are penalized if you buy any ticket over $3,500-ish, maybe $4,000.

I know many people who regularly pay $7,000 to $10,000 for international business-class on Delta. My ex-girlfriend is general counsel for a big corporation and they've bought her $10,000 airfares on Delta to Seoul. For that price, I'd rather buy an entire row of economy.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
You're not kidding about the impact of the Saturday night stay. Shifting the exact same flights by one day (and not starting in DTW) drops the price from $4k to $1600. Too bad there's almost never a business argument for staying overnight on a Saturday.

Delta's long-haul airfares from Detroit have been incredibly high the last year so much so that I've started flying out of Toronto. If you book far enough in advance, you can get airfares to Toronto for under $150. Sometimes flying Detroit-Paris (or wherever) is $700-$1,000 more expensive than Toronto-Detroit-Paris (wherever).
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am searching for a 3 week trip so Saturday night stay rule covered, round trip, not using awards or cash+miles, logged in etc. IOW, I'm paying full price for D1.
I go thru the process up to the passenger/payment page.

Are you saying there's cheaper pricing after that page?
Yes,. You just need to choose one of the outboud flights and you will see lower fares than the initial fare listings.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Dang and I thought this was going to be an error fare for 16k Skymiles to LHR
That was my first thought too, or maybe even some excursion promo requiring a RT advance purchase for travel in February using miles, presumably for coach travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.