Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You've got to be joking. $16k to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:52 pm

I'm just wondering what would happen if you booked and paid for one of these $16K fares. Do you suppose that in a few days, your reservation would simply stop showing up in your profile and that you'd get a phone call from a very friendly customer service rep explaining that unfortunately there was a system error and that Delta couldn't really accept $16K from you for a $3K-$4K ticket?
hi55us and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Night Flyer
I'm just wondering what would happen if you booked and paid for one of these $16K fares. Do you suppose that in a few days, your reservation would simply stop showing up in your profile and that you'd get a phone call from a very friendly customer service rep explaining that unfortunately there was a system error and that Delta couldn't really accept $16K from you for a $3K-$4K ticket?
Is it a 3-4K ticket? I know the ticket in question isn't non-stop, but I'm used to non-stop b-class fares from ATL to LHR that are usually 7-8K unless you somehow end up with a Saturday night stay. Ripoff, yes.. but it is what it is.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Night Flyer
Play around with ExpertFlyer for some full fares by cabin.

$1533 r/t for full Y on the 90 minute flight (or <4 hr drive) DTW-BUF.

Take a look at full J DTW-SYD, or full J MCI-PVG. It's staggering. (Yes, I had a business that really wanted me in Shanghai, and full J was all that was left.) Advance purchase and minimum stay requirements are meant to be extractive.
hi55us and manacit like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
To add insult to injury, it's in "Multiple Cabins" to boot.

Perhaps it's the premium you pay to meet your DM MQD requirement all on your first flight of the year. That peace of mind doesn't come cheap, but it's a service they're willing to offer.
hi55us and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
AFAIK, Delta never intentionally oversells D1.
For $16K, they should!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare quote above is not a full roundtrip ticket fare quote. It's just a list of outbound flight options with an estimated lowest total roundtrip (not one-way) cost. When you actually select an outbound flight, the return flight options show lower cost RT fares than the estimated lowest cost RT fare shown on the outbound listings. These are true the RT fare costs (as opposed to the estimated ones listed in the initial outbound flight listings). It's just the lowest cost RT fare estimator that is confused. I haven't seen any full roundtrip quotes that don't match what I can find on Google Flights.

Do a fare search for IND-LHR for 4/4 - 4/11. The initial outbound listings say $5598 is the estimated lowest RT fare option. But when, you actually select an outbound flight, you will see the real lowest RT option is actually $4444. This matches what Google Flights is showing.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CGNC

Just curious, do people really pay $16k for a round-trip to London? For real?
People did, for a ride on a plane that flew faster than a bullet.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by muishkin
People did, for a ride on a plane that flew faster than a bullet.
I've seen cabin photos of the Concorde. It looked like a CRJ. I guess it was tolerable for 3-4 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by ijgordon
For $16K, they should!
C management often buys these kinds of fares to Asia and Europe all the time and Delta knows people will buy it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Dang and I thought this was going to be an error fare for 16k Skymiles to LHR
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
The fare quote above is not a full roundtrip ticket fare quote. It's just a list of outbound flight options with an estimated lowest total roundtrip (not one-way) cost. When you actually select an outbound flight, the return flight options show lower cost RT fares than the estimated lowest cost RT fare shown on the outbound listings. These are true the RT fare costs (as opposed to the estimated ones listed in the initial outbound flight listings). It's just the lowest cost RT fare estimator that is confused. I haven't seen any full roundtrip quotes that don't match what I can find on Google Flights.

Do a fare search for IND-LHR for 4/4 - 4/11. The initial outbound listings say $5598 is the estimated lowest RT fare option. But when, you actually select an outbound flight, you will see the real lowest RT option is actually $4444. This matches what Google Flights is showing.
My understanding is that delta.dumb shows the *lowest* price for the RT, which can require a 5 am departure and either several connections or an extremely long connection on the return. The actual price for a reasonable choice tends to be higher than what I see first.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that delta.dumb shows the *lowest* price for the RT, which can require a 5 am departure and either several connections or an extremely long connection on the return. The actual price for a reasonable choice tends to be higher than what I see first.
That's definitely not the case here. Many, many options showing at lower RT prices and with reasonable times after selecting the outbound flight and displaying the return flight options. For the search below, the highest RT fare listed was $4518. There were no $5597 options listed at all.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I booked a trip LAX-JFK-DUB a week or so ago for the first week in Feb. Before competing the booking I checked that there were C+ aisle seats. That seat map shows all cabins and I noticed that both JFK-DUB and DUB-JFK were pretty much empty in D1 -- maybe a couple seats greyed out. Thinking maybe they might have a deal, I checked the D1 prices and they were all north of $10K -- even checked surrounding days.

I won't waste a GUC on this trip as JFK is pretty close to half way (about an hour more on the overwater leg)

Update: Just checked and the D1 fare for my days is down to just under $7K -- better but still high. My coach ticket was $550. Wont hit $25K MQDs that way
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Dang and I thought this was going to be an error fare for 16k Skymiles to LHR
Moi aussie! Maybe change title to "$16K"?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I booked a trip LAX-JFK-DUB a week or so ago for the first week in Feb. Before competing the booking I checked that there were C+ aisle seats. That seat map shows all cabins and I noticed that both JFK-DUB and DUB-JFK were pretty much empty in D1 -- maybe a couple seats greyed out. Thinking maybe they might have a deal, I checked the D1 prices and they were all north of $10K -- even checked surrounding days. ...
Update: Just checked and the D1 fare for my days is down to just under $7K -- better but still high. My coach ticket was $550. Wont hit $25K MQDs that way
<shrug>
clearly, Delta RM thinks that if you REALLY want to hit an MQD threshold during the course of the next 11.5 months, you’ll figure out a way to do it ... if not, they really don’t care whether you buy this $550 ticket or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.