Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Hold Times

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by Gig103
These days I don't understand why the callback option isn't standard for any call center of size, which airlines definitely qualify for.
Most of the time I do call back with Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I called two days ago and the recording suggested calling back in a few days due to long hold times, then I was quoted 1.5 hours current wait time, then I got a live agent in about 2 minutes. Gotta love being a Diamond!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:04 pm

They do offer a callback option. Problem is, I don't have two hours to wait around for a callback.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
As somebody who actually spent a good bit of time implementing an "estimated call wait" algorithm for a call center system we sold to mid size centers, it is impossible to get right.

Most of our customers took it as about what it is. Useful in normal situations but hopeless when things go off the wall and the calcs have no way of knowing how other factors will react.

A few customers realized we gave them the tools to tweek it so they could shape the numbers and use that to drive customers.

In short, would not at all be surprised if DL is gaming the est wait time message to try to drive non essential traffic away when they know they have a meltdown. I would do this.
My company doesn't bother with an "estimated" time. We just tell people what the current longest hold time is. That way there's no guessing.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:00 pm

I don't mind a long wait time if it's just music or silence. I put it on speaker and do some work.

What I HATE is when they keep talking to you with ads or advice when you are on hold - which is sufficiently distracting that I can't keep it on speakerphone and get the work done.

Obviously the callback option solves this problem.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
As somebody who actually spent a good bit of time implementing an "estimated call wait" algorithm for a call center system we sold to mid size centers, it is impossible to get right.

Most of our customers took it as about what it is. Useful in normal situations but hopeless when things go off the wall and the calcs have no way of knowing how other factors will react.

A few customers realized we gave them the tools to tweek it so they could shape the numbers and use that to drive customers.

In short, would not at all be surprised if DL is gaming the est wait time message to try to drive non essential traffic away when they know they have a meltdown. I would do this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by azeckel
You could try twitter. Once you follow @Delta, they will follow you back and you and direct message them with simple questions, seat assignments, that kind of stuff. Service used to be really fast. But last week when I tried to get on the upgrade list (still have no idea why I wasn't) I didn't hear back for a couple of days and after I had flown.
Twitter has been miserable lately. Used to be able to get a response within a few minutes, then at least within an hour which is fine.

Now it's taking them days to respond, which defeats the entire point especially when dealing with day-of-travel requests. And this then leads to more people bogging down the phone agents.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:05 am

I haven't gotten a response from twitter in over a week now.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called the earlier this week - the first time, after the warning to call back in a few days, I got a busy signal/disconnected. The second time, the call was answered in a minute or two. Go figure. I have Gold status.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Twitter has been miserable lately. Used to be able to get a response within a few minutes, then at least within an hour which is fine.

Now it's taking them days to respond, which defeats the entire point especially when dealing with day-of-travel requests. And this then leads to more people bogging down the phone agents.
I got a feedback request on twitter from my latest interaction. So I clicked dissatisfied and told them to either fix the service so that it doesn't take hours or days to respond or discontinue it altogether. I agree - in its current status it's completely useless. Perhaps if others share the same feedback?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Yesterday I booked a skymiles ticket to visit a dying aunt. After booking I realized that my Skymiles account still has my nickname (a short form of my full name), and hence, so does my ticket. It's probably going to be OK tomorrow morning, right?

But anyway, I followed the instructions in the change profile part of the Skymiles web site, which requires a phone call to change name (reasonable security I guess). I called, went through some voice response stuff, and was told it would be a two hour wait, but I could be called back and I "would not lose place in the queue". That was 3 1/2 hours ago. Since the flight is tmw I thought I'd put in another call and sit on hold while doing some work. It's now been 50 minutes.

Agreed this is a first world problem, but wow, this is supposed to be customer service?? I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to change my name for future ticketing!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
OK update on that, they did call back, 4 hours later, and changed the name on my ticket. But to change the name on your Skymiles account you don't call, you go to the "complaint/comment" tab on the web site front page, Then "technical assistance" "skymiles/login", "update account"

And you need to include a scan of your gov issued ID.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
In the last 30 days I've twice tried to use the call back option - I did my part but Delta never called back. Other times it worked - but two failures suggests to me that there is a fault in the system. So now if I need immediate attention I put the phone on speaker and just work away until I get an answer. And not to be Captain Obvious, but if the Delta IT actually worked we wouldn't need to call.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

2 hours 10 minutes and counting on hold now
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by be001
2 hours 10 minutes and counting on hold now
Well at least it’s not just me. I posted in the “Least Substantial Things You Complain About” thread but I called once and the system said ~10 min. I chose to stay on the phone. After 30 min was still on hold. Hung up thinking maybe there was a glitch. Called back. Was told 20 min. Over an hour later I still hadn’t gotten through to an agent. Then I reached out via Twitter and after receiving assistance I thought my issue was resolved, only to then go into DL.com and find out it wasn’t. Of course calling back still hasn’t yielded any success in getting through. Very frustrating tonight. Is there some major going on somewhere in the US or world that is impacting Delta’s ops that I don’t know about that is causing such long hold times?

ETA: got the answer to my question - found out AF is on strike and so calls to AF are getting redirected to Delta, slamming DL’s systems. I’m super shocked AF is on strike.....

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 22, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
ETA: got the answer to my question - found out AF is on strike and so calls to AF are getting redirected to Delta, slamming DL’s systems. I’m super shocked AF is on strike.....
Now that's ridiculous. I shouldn't have a 30 min wait as a PM on a Sunday just because the lazy bums at AF want to go on strike every other week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.