Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AmEx: Delta Reserve v. Platinum Amex (& third-party lounges!)

AmEx: Delta Reserve v. Platinum Amex (& third-party lounges!)

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by bgriff
Statistically you would have to think the value of the Reserve increasing your upgrade priority is pretty low, but who knows.
I'm very inclined to believe you despite my experience. I can't imagine my experience is completely card related. Good news is, that's not why I got it so it wouldn't be hard to divorce from that benefit.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: DL
This thread is what I was looking for. Thanks to all for your inputs. I was initially thinking of upgrading to the Amex Reserve due to the increase in upgrade priority (especially nice for international). However, searching through the benefits, I came across Amex Platinum. I love the Gold benefits on SPG and Hilton on that card plus the lounges. So I'm thinking of going Amex Platinum instead of Reserve.
However, I do have 1 question. Assuming I will get DM every year due to my travels, is it still worth it to keep my Amex Delta Platinum?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:58 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by marmutz
This thread is what I was looking for. Thanks to all for your inputs. I was initially thinking of upgrading to the Amex Reserve due to the increase in upgrade priority (especially nice for international). However, searching through the benefits, I came across Amex Platinum. I love the Gold benefits on SPG and Hilton on that card plus the lounges. So I'm thinking of going Amex Platinum instead of Reserve.
However, I do have 1 question. Assuming I will get DM every year due to my travels, is it still worth it to keep my Amex Delta Platinum?

Thanks in advanced.
As for upgrade priority -- you know there are no complimentary upgrades on long-haul international, right? So Reserve card generally doesn't matter there. So, just one more reason not to get the Reserve card, as it sounds like you've already concluded.

As for Amex Delta Platinum, I am regularly DM and I hold that card. It mainly depends how much you value the companion certificate and if you take advantage of the ability to earn 10,000 MQMs after $25K spent. Personally I get value out of both of those features, so I keep the card.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
As for upgrade priority -- you know there are no complimentary upgrades on long-haul international, right? So Reserve card generally doesn't matter there. So, just one more reason not to get the Reserve card, as it sounds like you've already concluded..
Unless you find yourself low on domestic upgrade lists, probably no reason for Reserve over AMEX Plat unless you need the bonus MQMs or wants the tie-breaker over other DMs who don't have the Reserve card.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Ive got both. The annual BOGO certificate easily covers the annual fee of the Reserve card in my case, and the annual fee on the platinum card is worth it for the Uber credits and access to Centurion lounges.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:15 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by dmac7273
Unless you find yourself low on domestic upgrade lists, probably no reason for Reserve over AMEX Plat unless you need the bonus MQMs or wants the tie-breaker over other DMs who don't have the Reserve card.
And on top of that, fare class is a tiebreaker among DMs on the list before the Reserve card. So even if you're a DM who's low on the upgrade list, if you're low because you bought a cheap fare; having the Reserve card is not going to put you on top of the list. Priorities are listed here.

It's impossible to know without Delta's data, but I'd say it's probably safe to assume that the Reserve card will generally only bump you maybe 1-2 spots on the upgrade list at most, and very often it may not bump you at all (if there are no other DMs above you in your fare class). Not to mention that sometimes, even if the Reserve card moves you up a few spots on the list, you may still not get the upgrade with the Reserve, or you might have gotten it anyway without the Reserve. So the number of times that having the Reserve card would make a difference between getting the upgrade or not would be very small.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on how often one is right at the cusp for an upgrade.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:01 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on how often one is right at the cusp for an upgrade.
Yes -- but my point is, even if you are #1 on the list for 0 seats remaining, getting the Reserve card doesn't guarantee you would have gotten the upgrade. Could be that the person above you on the list was in a higher fare group, which Reserve card doesn't overcome. Also possible the person above you on the list was using an RUC and you were the highest DM not using an RUC, or the person above you on the list was a 360 and you were the highest non-360 DM.

It only gets you an upgrade you wouldn't otherwise have gotten if you were #1 on the list (or maybe #2 or 3 or 4 on the list, in certain cases) for 0 seats, and the person above you on the list was another DM in the same fare class grouping who beat you on the list because they were a Delta Corporate Traveler, had earned the MQD waiver and you didn't, or requested their upgrade earlier than you.

I'm not saying it never has benefits -- just that I would personally put a very small $ value toward the higher upgrade priority if I were trying to justify the $450.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Ive got both. The annual BOGO certificate easily covers the annual fee of the Reserve card in my case, and the annual fee on the platinum card is worth it for the Uber credits and access to Centurion lounges.
I also carry both. DCA/IAD are my home airports, and having Priority Pass at both is significant. For DL flyers going out of DCA, the $28 at Bracket Room is a better option if I have someone flying with me as we both get it and there is no guest fee. My Reserve card AF is covered by the BOGO certificate, so any upgrades I get as a result are just gravy. I also use the MQM boost.

I track how often I am in Centurion Lounges and with the one coming to JFK, keeping my Amex Plat is an easy decision. Couple that with the PP access, Uber Credits, Airline Credits its pretty easy to get value out of this card as well.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:18 am

If I cancel my Delta Reserve card after less than a year, is it still possible to use the physical card for lounge access?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
No, although there may be a little time (a few days to a couple of weeks) before the change is reflected in your DL account.

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ProfRB
I have tried in vain to find a website where I can find a list of all the available lounges -- I'd like to make sure there are lounges in the places I go before I pull the trigger based largely on this factor. ...
If you were to list your primary cities here, folks can jump in.

Delta has all lounges on their website.
Priority Plus has everything on their site.
Amex has theirs somewhere as well.

But, really - if the list is not long, folks here can help and may provide more detail than what the sites above will give - like crowding, service levels, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.