Incomplete trip

Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Incomplete trip

Wanted to get feedback on an odd flight arrangement. I am based in ATL, but Delta's coach tickets from here are always at a premium on the ATL-EZE route. They are significantly cheaper if I start in MIA, fly to ATL, then to EZE. What would happen to my miles if on the return, I just stayed in ATL, and didn't go back to MIA, to then fly back to ATL. It's 2 separate tickets, (ATL-MIA & MIA-EZE) and worth it in price. Just not sure what rules I might be breaking.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
If you read the contract of carriage carefully, you will discover that doing this on purpose violates that contract.

The ability of the airline to detect that you are doing this on purpose is sketchy and typically relies on repeated use. The general consensus on FT is that the airline is unlikely to do anything to you for a single use.

I am not counseling for or against this strategy. There are also ethical arguments which I will not address, and logistical issues.

There are two logistical (i.e. non-rule) issues that I am aware of:
  • If you have checked luggage, this can create problems or be impossible depending on the routing. If ATL is your point of entry into the US and your bags get sent to E baggage claim, you will have a difficult time leaving the airport with them.
  • If any irrops occur, Delta is under no obligation to ensure that your replacement flights go through ATL.
DAL-767 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will earn miles for the EZE-ATL flight, but you won't get any for the ATL-MIA flight if you skip it. The term for what you are doing is called "hidden city" or "point-beyond" ticketing. The prohibition against it can be found here in Prohibited practies --
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...trictions.html
And in the contract of carriage --
https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...rriage_dom.pdf

Google "hidden city ticketing" and you will see tons of hits. There's even a website that the airlines tried to shutdown that helps you find cheaper hidden-city flight booking options
https://skiplagged.com/
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I don't know if this will help you, or not, but PIT/EZE/PIT was $1700-1800. I found Washington DC/EZE round trip was $976.

I intend to fly all of the segments, but, I thought the cheaper fare might be of interest to you, and it would use the same trans-oceanic flights as the MIA trip. How much is the MIA/EZE trip for the dates you want?

Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A couple years ago there was a good sale price for LAX-ATL-EZE and return RT. More recently I've found pretty good D1 fares starting in NYC (LGA or JFK both worked and I suspect the same would have been true for EWR. which is an airport I try to avoid).

OP should experiment with airports within easy driving distance of ATL that seem to have good AA service to MIA or more generally any AA hub. Instead of just doing this from MIA, pick an airport you like for DL flights or maybe an airport that will give you more MQMs for the same price.

BTW, when I've done this, I flew all of the segments and I also stayed overnight on the outbound. I still saved a lot of money compared to buying the cheapest D1 RT ticket to EZE from MSP.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! The fare's I'm finding: ATL-MIA RT, $150.00. MIA-EZE RT ($890-$950). On the second leg, I'm comparing Aerolineas Argentina, which is direct, or Delta planes which bring me back to Atlanta. ATL-EZE is $2200. There are 3 of us going, and the savings are just too great to pass on. We would like to stay with Skyteam, but Delta isn't making is very easy ;/

As for the question of getting the bag and leaving in ATL, instead of taking the second leg to MIA, it would not be difficult. I've been looking at MIA, MCO, and JFK as Atlanta alternatives.

Is there a site that shows REAL Delta sales out of Atlanta? The last 2 years, I've been able to find decent prices all over flying them, but this year they seem to be punishing the local traffic. There have been great sales on Air Canada, American, and Turkish from Atlanta, it's testing my loyalty. Only Air Canada really helps to Argentina, oddly enough.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

I am a dedicated bargain hunter based near ATL and I don't ever expect to find good skyteam sales from here. I expect to position for all good deals. DL has the ATL market too locked down to need to compete on price.

There was recently a YYZ-EZE on AM in business for around $1500, yielding tons of miles and MQD. I think you are mostly concerned with price, this time, though.

I don't quite follow your middle paragraph above. If you are planning to book a connection through Atlanta and then getting out at Atlanta, if you have checked luggage and get sent to E, how do you plan to leave the airport? You won't be allowed to take check bags back in to the terminal, and as far as I can see, would be forced to check your bags to their final destination in order to escape the immigrations area.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

I did this recently, I took a Norwegian Flight to ARN then flew ARN-LHR-ORD and ORD-LHR but Dropped the last leg to ARN. Keep in mind I had no checked baggage.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speech99
Thanks everyone! The fare's I'm finding: ATL-MIA RT, $150.00. MIA-EZE RT ($890-$950). On the second leg, I'm comparing Aerolineas Argentina, which is direct, or Delta planes which bring me back to Atlanta. ATL-EZE is $2200. There are 3 of us going, and the savings are just too great to pass on. We would like to stay with Skyteam, but Delta isn't making is very easy ;/

As for the question of getting the bag and leaving in ATL, instead of taking the second leg to MIA, it would not be difficult. I've been looking at MIA, MCO, and JFK as Atlanta alternatives.

Is there a site that shows REAL Delta sales out of Atlanta? The last 2 years, I've been able to find decent prices all over flying them, but this year they seem to be punishing the local traffic. There have been great sales on Air Canada, American, and Turkish from Atlanta, it's testing my loyalty. Only Air Canada really helps to Argentina, oddly enough.
You are apparently unfamiliar with legacy airline pricing strategies. None of this new and none of it is unique to Delta. United does the same thing out of Houston where flights on the UA IAH-EZE non-stop (where UA has no competition) are $1800 (and that's with a Saturday night stay. Without it, it's closer to $2400). There are numerous other markets where UA and DL offer the only non-stop service and price the route at a premium compared to what the passengers who are just connecting pay. Who buys these tickets? Businesses who are willing to pay extra for the convenience of a non-stop flight vs. having to connect somewhere. In markets like NYC and MIA, there are other airlines that fly this route non-stop and DL and UA have to offer more competitive fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 9, 2018 at 4:11 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I'd pay extra to fly DL rather than AR. It has a terrible reputation for customer service, cancellations, delays, and schedule changes. Also, check the aircraft type, configuration, and seats carefully before booking a longhaul business class flight on AR. [Do not assume that you will get flat beds or 100% direct aisle access.]
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[Do not assume that you will get flat beds or 100% direct aisle access.]
I can't imagine that Speech99 is expecting flat beds or 100% direct aisle access.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

ijgordon, you are correct. My small business is paying this, and we just need to get there safely!
@angra, my thought was to leave in ATL, after customs, before re-checking the bag. With the setup in Atlanta's International Terminal, it is quite simple. I think I'll follow the rules though, and just grab the extra MQMs from MIA.
@LBJ, I'm aware of the legacy pricing, but previously, Delta has been more competitive than recent searches. I'd pay a premium to fly them, but Delta's gone Ultra Premium from their mega-hub.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

@angra, my thought was to leave in ATL, after customs, before re-checking the bag. With the setup in Atlanta's International Terminal, it is quite simple. I think I'll follow the rules though, and just grab the extra MQMs from MIA.
OK - right, what I'm trying to point out is that where your flight lands and bags get sent matters.

It *is* a simple process from F. If you get sent to E, it is no longer a simple process.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Nothing will happen to you. Nothing.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by angra
OK - right, what I'm trying to point out is that where your flight lands and bags get sent matters.

It *is* a simple process from F. If you get sent to E, it is no longer a simple process.
If it helps, of half dozen or so times I've taken the DL EZE-ATL nonstop flight, all in low season for South America, I can't recall even landing in E, always F. My impression is that customs and immigration in E doesn't open until after the early morning arrivals have landed and been processed. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.